R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-20-2005, 11:50 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Send a message via ICQ to domokun Send a message via AIM to domokun Send a message via Yahoo to domokun
How does one balance an off-road truck or buggy for perfect jumping?

At a recent monster truck show I saw some kids racing gas r/c trucks and buggy's. They were jumping off of jumps that were about 24-48" in height. They would get about 50 feet away, go full power and launch off these jumps to amazing heights. I am talking 8-10 feet in the air! The thing that amazed me was they all were perfectly balanced in the air!! My question is how did they do this? Iv'e spent hours searching the web and this website for tricks and/or ideas. Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this? Is it simple weights? Usually most cars and trucks will jump into the nice loop de loop, destroying the car and putting it on its roof!! Let me know if you heard or seen this?
domokun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
Tech Regular

I don't know really anything about off-road but i think you have to use the brakes in the air to get the front of the car level or pointing in the direction you want it to go.

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 12:36 PM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Give it gas in the air and the nose comes up, brake and the nose comes down. Steer left and it leans right, right and it leans left.
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Yes, like it was said before it all has to do with hitting the jump at the right speed, and straight on, and then using the throttle to keep it leveled in the air or to do front flips and back flips. Buggys are very easy to jump, they handle good and have nice control, and monster trucks are a bit harder to jump because they are much heavier, but they are also more durable when they hit the ground.
darrinerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 04:17 PM   #5
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

I tried to explain to someone how to "arc" the car through the air time...but found it suprisingly difficult. I actually had to do it myself a few time to learn what I was doing!...it just comes with experience and feel. If I were to do it right now, I wouldn't be thinking about it, it just...happens. Wierd huh?

To do a smoothe arc though....right at the face of the jump, let off for a fraction of a second then mash it and the car will nose-up....level out....and nose- in on its own....at least mine do.
Chris Woods

TQ Racing Wire
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote