Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Quad Magnet motors, Do they just run hot? >

Quad Magnet motors, Do they just run hot?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 08:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Without going into tons of detail, I run the stock class with my BK2 at the local track. I typically run a Monster Stock Pro, with 18 or 17 pinion and a 84 spur. The Monster stock pro does a great job. I bought a BRCA Monster stock the other day, along with an EPIC Binary stock, ( both are a quad magnet design) and both motors get hotter than hell with the exact same gearing. Is this just the nature of the motors? Or, do I have to readjust my gearing??

Thanks in advance for your responses
Schlep
Old 03-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Suspended

you have to gear down at least 1 tooth for the quad mag. quad mags give less torque
Old 03-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just changed motor's in my T4, I was running a Associated MVP and now I have a Trinity Monster Horse Power Pro. The gearing I was running was 18/87 are you saying that becasue I am not gonna have the MHP motor I need to go to 17/87 becasue of heat issues?
Old 03-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Tech Addict

there 2 different motors which mean they have different powerbands
Old 03-20-2005, 06:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by craziracer
there 2 different motors which mean they have different powerbands
I understand that they arent the same motor. Neither is a P2K2 Pro and a Monster Horsepower, but I only change the gearing a little.

I toyed around with 1 up and 1 down, and it was still hot. hotter than usual. The shop owner said that it was the nature of the 4 magnet motors to run hotter. That just didnt set well with me. My PT 13x2 is a quad mag, but I dont ever remember it getting this hot.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:10 PM
Suspended

put in some of the new triity brushes and a red on the - and a purple on the + (yes i do mean the 15 dollar ones they last like 20 times longer and dont dicolor. they also dont fade in the run like 767's or any other brush that i have ever run before
Old 03-21-2005, 02:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

this problem is very clear-cut. your motor gets hot for one of two reasons:
your gearing is too tall, or your connectors suck. if you're still running bullet connectors and a tamiya plug on your battery, you might as well throw them in the garbage.
my bet is that your gearing is way too tall. go down a few teeth on the pinion.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:35 AM
Tech Addict

Like I mentioned above. If I was running a Associated MVP (and got hot) changing over to the Monster Horse Power is it suggested to change gearing one pinion size becasue of difference in motors or have people seen the two require about the same pinion size?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by T-BirdJunkie
this problem is very clear-cut. your motor gets hot for one of two reasons:
your gearing is too tall, or your connectors suck. if you're still running bullet connectors and a tamiya plug on your battery, you might as well throw them in the garbage.
my bet is that your gearing is way too tall. go down a few teeth on the pinion.
Well, deans dont suck, so I doubt thats it. As far as being too tall of gearing, that may be the case. Thats why Im here asking the question in the subject line. I find it hard to believe running a 17/84 with a monster pro works but wont work with another stock motor with the same armature, just 4 mags instead of 2. I did drop to a 16, and it was still really hot, not smoking, didnt even smell bad, just burnt my fingers on the pinion and it was def too hot to touch. Ill change my spur tomorrow and see how that does, but basically, was trying to find out if the 4 mag motors just run hotter.......
Old 03-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Tech Addict

By chance do you know what ratio the BK2 transmission is?

I know my B4 is a 2:60:1 and I run a 18/81 and it is not hot. I would like to compare the final drives ratio's to see how close we are.

BTW, he did not says Dean's suck, he was stating if you had the "stock" connectors you should change them.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:24 PM
Tech Regular

Smile BK2 Tranny Ratio

The ratio is 2.56
Spur Gear/Pinion Gear ---> 2.56 x External Ratio = Final
I can't say for sure, but I have been doing some research on 2 vs 4 magnet motors. From what I have read is that the Quads are higher RPM based motors, and the twins offer more torque. It appears that the manufactures structure there gearing charts to restrict the motors from exceeding the max RPM's, and avoid heating issues, which you state you are running into. I believe if you run the same ratio you are just hitting the RPM limit sooner, and thats why posts offer that you gear it down to avoid the high heat issues. I am no pro, but I think I am getting it???? But don't shoot me if I am wrong. I am building a 415MS, and have been doing alot of motor research. Been running brushless since I started.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Re: Quad Magnet motors, Do they just run hot?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by schleprock3
[B]Without going into tons of detail, I run the stock class with my BK2 at the local track. I typically run a Monster Stock Pro, with 18 or 17 pinion and a 84 spur. The Monster stock pro does a great job. I bought a BRCA Monster stock the other day, along with an EPIC Binary stock, ( both are a quad magnet design) and both motors get hotter than hell with the exact same gearing. Is this just the nature of the motors? Or, do I have to readjust my gearing??

Thanks in advance for your responses
Schlep

With your pinion / spur combo, you are most likely reaching max RPM's too fast which would cause the motor to overheat. I run my BK2 in stock with a Race prep motot geared at 21/78. At the end of a 5 min. round it's only about 140 degrees measured as close to the com as I can get with a temp gun. I would try going back to the stock 78 tooth spur and a 19 pinion and tweak it from there.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys.