R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   I Hate Shocks! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/66518-i-hate-shocks.html)

Nrctc3 03-17-2005 05:47 PM

I Hate Shocks!

I'm fed-up with rebuilding shocks!!! I can never get the seals to seat right or even stay in the shock body. The ones I do are perfect though... I just rebuilt 2 or my 4 shocks & the other 2 are screwed-up so I need to order a new rebuild kit! I hate this so much, I will seriously pay someone like $5 to build my shocks for me.:rolleyes:

:flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :cry: :cry: :cry: :mad: :mad: :mad:

tony montana 03-17-2005 06:11 PM

I know how you feel especially if there associated!!!!!

t4usee 03-17-2005 06:17 PM

If you are talking about associated shocks, get the yokomo caps. You cant go wrong with them making them even is a peice of cake!!

Team Fusion
Team Tekin
BKPaintwerks

RCNitroDude999 03-17-2005 06:22 PM

do u need daddy to show you how its done boy??

Nrctc3 03-17-2005 06:24 PM

Oh, they're Associated shocks... It's not filling them that's the problem, it's seating the seals.

t4usee 03-17-2005 06:32 PM

Heres a neat trick to building associated shocks, it's fail proof. Slide the first white plastic washer on your building tool and one of the rubber o-rings and seat them all the way into the shock. Then put the rest of the white washers and rubber o-rings on the tool and seat them. With the first two seated in the shock there is nothing to catch or rip. Take your time, get the yokomo caps and make some good shocks, be sure to use the green slime also.

Team Fusion. fusion batteries ROCK
Team Tekin
BKPaintwerks

Nrctc3 03-17-2005 06:35 PM

Well, that's kind of the problem I have now... The first half seats fine, but the last part of it doesnt.

tony montana 03-17-2005 06:43 PM

the problem I have with associated shocks is setting the rebound, I know how to fix it just add oil or let some out but its just aggervating and I wish they would come up with a little easier to build and setup shock

jbrow1 03-17-2005 07:58 PM

Easy fix is to seat the first plastic washer and first o-ring by themselves before putting in the other parts together.

As far as rebound goes, just get them close and call it good. Even if you get them all exactly perfect, one lap around the track, if you took them off they'd all be different again anyhow...

TEAM-AE-4-EVER 03-17-2005 09:26 PM

Even though I am a Big AE fan... I must admit that Losi shocks are superior. They last longer, are much easier to build, and have less problems. Their "cartridge" system is something Associated should truly consider moving towards. :rolleyes: :nod:

OvalEvader 03-17-2005 11:39 PM

I don't like AE or Losi shocks... Mugen has the right idea, using an actual 8th scale bladder type shock on their gas truck. Those are simple to build, and hold oil forever.

Erlend 03-18-2005 02:37 AM

The owner of my LHS put some Yok caps on his B4 shocks and they were awesome. No air at all, and super easy to get right.
Too bad, he is out of them but when he gets some in stock I certainly will get them.
After building 2 of the 4 shocks on my BJ4 i hated Associated shocks as much as i hated my Xpress touring car.

aaronb73 03-18-2005 05:11 AM

Anyone have a part number for the yokomo caps? I've been meaning to try these on my ae cars.

t4usee 03-18-2005 07:26 AM

Originally posted by Nrctc3
Well, that's kind of the problem I have now... The first half seats fine, but the last part of it doesnt.

No, actullay the first half is whats hanging up. Put the first two in, get them seated all the way to the bottom of the shock. Then put the remaing parts on the tool and seat them. It is fail proof. The best way to set rebound is with the Yokomo caps. Bleed them with the screw, loosen the screw just enough to let oil out as you push the shaft in, when the piston bottoms out tighten the screw with the shaft still pushed all the way in. You will then have somw awsome shocks.

Team Fusion, batteries that rock
Team Tekin
BKPaintwerks.

jbrow1 03-18-2005 08:11 AM

Yep, that's the trick. Seating the first two pieces going in will eliminate hanging up and tearing o-rings.