R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #751
Super Moderator
 
racer1812's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 11,387
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

No idea why people would run SS hardware, if you want shiny vs. black go with Lunsford Ti stuff. IMO. I prefer the black look, no wasted money for me
__________________
High Velocity Racing ~ 92zero designs ~ LiveRC ~ Dirt Heaven Hobby and Raceway ~ Paint by Venom Designs/Jim Neubert ~

"I'm not saying kill all the stupid people. I'm just saying take all the warning labels off and let it sort itself out!"
racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #752
Tech Regular
 
thebomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 256
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmtr View Post
Started my build last night and things were just not feeling right!i am used to 2wd trannies that spin very freely. Some guys at local track say a 4wd feels tighter but mine feels to tight. Should you use the set screws in all cvas?i had two that with the screws in they were binding others smoothe.
Directions don't show installing set screws but they come in the bag.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

My diffs feel. Good, I used the 6&3 spacers but main cvas still feel tight where it comes out of gear box..
I had the same experie ce. Im taking them out tomorrow.
__________________
Mugen Seiki MBX7 RX8 Gen II T8 1900, EAST COAST HOBBIES, G's Raceway, Awesome RC

Harlan Williamson
thebomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #753
Super Moderator
 
racer1812's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 11,387
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

taking out what? the set screws?, ya you don't need them. You can run the set screw and clip together but you have to center the pin EXACTLY when you put in the set screw or it will have a tight spot. I've done it but there's no need to.
__________________
High Velocity Racing ~ 92zero designs ~ LiveRC ~ Dirt Heaven Hobby and Raceway ~ Paint by Venom Designs/Jim Neubert ~

"I'm not saying kill all the stupid people. I'm just saying take all the warning labels off and let it sort itself out!"
racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:07 AM   #754
Tech Elite
 
ray_munday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,186
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmtr View Post
My problem is in the front,everything feels good till I snap the gear covers ,the the binding starts,not bad but tight,install screws and it becomes tighter,should I try and space it 5&3? I tried this first but there was about 1/16-1/8. " of play,is this ok or will I burn out gears?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmtr View Post
Started my build last night and things were just not feeling right!i am used to 2wd trannies that spin very freely. Some guys at local track say a 4wd feels tighter but mine feels to tight. Should you use the set screws in all cvas?i had two that with the screws in they were binding others smoothe.
Directions don't show installing set screws but they come in the bag.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

My diffs feel. Good, I used the 6&3 spacers but main cvas still feel tight where it comes out of gear box..
If there is too much play the gears will burn out quickly. One of my covers was a little tight but I ran the car in on the bench at 30% throttle for ~15 minutes and it freed up. One pack and it was spinning freely.

As mentioned, make sure you have trimmed the flashing off the back of the pinion gear and dont overtighten the gearbox screws (they need to be snug, but not cranked down). Its best to tap the threads in the gearbox with a steel screw as the alloy doesnt tap as well and is hard to feel when it is snug.

No need for the setscrews in the CVAs. A small drop of CA on the clip (make sure its at 90 deg to the pin hole, or the CA can jam the pin) and its all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
those who had the .1 and now the .2

Notice any push with the car being +8?

I run the .1 with NO ballast weight, gives better rotation, IMO.

Pro's obviously win with it but for the rest of us?

Kody N. rocked it at Spektrum!
Havent noticed a strong push with the 44.2, but have noticed a smoother rotation and it rides better over the bumps / smaller jumps. The darty behaviour of the 44.1 isnt so noticeable which should make it easier to drive for regular drivers. It still has plenty of steering.

Here is the setup I used (transferred the same setup from the 44.1 to the 44.2). I made some changes the standard AE BB setup as our tracks down here in Australia tend to be bumpier and the white springs on the back were way too stiff. Green probably OK for smoother tracks but our straight has some waves in it and the black rear springs helped it to ride much better through these yet didnt bottom over the big jumps.

http://www.keilorrc.org.au/setups/20...unday_Vics.pdf

L8r

Ray
__________________
Team Associated Factory Driver: B5, B5M, B44.2, SC10.2
JConcepts Factory Driver: Tyres, Rims, Wings, Bodies & Accessories
Team Novak Factory Driver: X-Drive Brushless ESC and Vulcan Motors
KO Propo EX-1 KIY and RSX Servos_____www.keilorrc.org.au
Check out my help thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/10587838-post1.html
ray_munday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #755
Tech Master
 
rigor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,319
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Hey Ray,

Congrats on your Associated sponsorship and 2 more recent state championships! And thanks for checking in on us here with the 44.2 and your setup sheets

Jesse H.
rigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #756
Tech Elite
 
Sarinexia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 2,019
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmtr View Post
My problem is in the front,everything feels good till I snap the gear covers ,the the binding starts,not bad but tight,install screws and it becomes tighter,should I try and space it 5&3? I tried this first but there was about 1/16-1/8. " of play,is this ok or will I burn out gears?
I spent 2 hours on the front tranny with the same exact issue..... Shimmed according to manual, even tried some different combo's. Soon as the cover went on.... Felt tight. Said screw it and continued on with the build.

Glad to see everyone else noticed the same thing and it will loosen up during break in. I've paid close attention to detail on my build and so far all the tips on here have been spot on and very helpful.

Tricks I've done:

1. Sanded diff rings
2. 2mm distance from diff cup to spring cover
3. Gorilla tape over chassis at saddle pack location to protect carbon fiber
4. All edges on every CF part sanded & rounded, black sharpie applied and CA sealed
5. Little bit of yamabond in some suspect areas of where screws may back out of the plastic parts they are in (e.g. Screws for A-Arm cotter pins)

So.... Thanks to everyone for sharing your tech tips and insight! Shocks are being started tonight!
__________________
Where grown men can act like babies....
Welcome to RC
Sarinexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #757
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flint
Posts: 47
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Coolza
Default

I built my .2 last night and noticed the same thing. I had to trim the insite of the case small gear went in. Just a light trim near the bevel edge and it stopped the issue. when the cases were together it would cause the back side of the small gear to rub slightly. A bit of trimming and all was great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmtr View Post
My problem is in the front,everything feels good till I snap the gear covers ,the the binding starts,not bad but tight,install screws and it becomes tighter,should I try and space it 5&3? I tried this first but there was about 1/16-1/8. " of play,is this ok or will I burn out gears?
Coolza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #758
Tech Elite
 
ray_munday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,186
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
Hey Ray,

Congrats on your Associated sponsorship and 2 more recent state championships! And thanks for checking in on us here with the 44.2 and your setup sheets

Jesse H.
My pleasure to help out! Thanks for the congrats

BTW I run a help thread in the Aussie forum (see my sig). If you check out post#4 I have collated my info on the Associated vehicles (will be updated soon to include BB shocks and 44.2). if anyone from this forum wants to ask me a direct question, feel free to post in that thread.

Ray
__________________
Team Associated Factory Driver: B5, B5M, B44.2, SC10.2
JConcepts Factory Driver: Tyres, Rims, Wings, Bodies & Accessories
Team Novak Factory Driver: X-Drive Brushless ESC and Vulcan Motors
KO Propo EX-1 KIY and RSX Servos_____www.keilorrc.org.au
Check out my help thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/10587838-post1.html
ray_munday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:26 AM   #759
Tech Regular
 
dMITIj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Denmark
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarinexia View Post
I spent 2 hours on the front tranny with the same exact issue..... Shimmed according to manual, even tried some different combo's. Soon as the cover went on.... Felt tight. Said screw it and continued on with the build.

Glad to see everyone else noticed the same thing and it will loosen up during break in. I've paid close attention to detail on my build and so far all the tips on here have been spot on and very helpful.

Tricks I've done:

1. Sanded diff rings
2. 2mm distance from diff cup to spring cover
3. Gorilla tape over chassis at saddle pack location to protect carbon fiber
4. All edges on every CF part sanded & rounded, black sharpie applied and CA sealed
5. Little bit of yamabond in some suspect areas of where screws may back out of the plastic parts they are in (e.g. Screws for A-Arm cotter pins)

So.... Thanks to everyone for sharing your tech tips and insight! Shocks are being started tonight!
what is yamabond and is there an other product that do the same thing? because i haven'r heard about "yamabond" here in Denmark

Best Regards.
__________________
XRAY XB4'2015.
ORION VORTEX R10.1 ESC.
ORION VORTEX VST2 PRO 7.5T.
ORION CARBON PRO 4500 100C 7.4V SHORTY PACK x3.
Sanwa MT4S Radio/RX-472 receiver & Xpert RC SN-3401 Brushless Servo.
dMITIj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #760
Tech Addict
 
Maxxingout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 585
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Does anyone have any info on how to setup the f & r diffs? How tight, best way to break in, and so forth. I've done 2wd ball diffs but not sure on a 4wd?

Also are the the piston sizes that come in the kit 1.7,1.6,1.5? I tried getting calipers inside the hole but I really don't get a accurate reading.
__________________
Serpent 811E, RX8, T8-1900
Serpent 2.0B
Serpent 811T TE
Serpent Spyder mm/rm
AE B44.2, RS Pro, Tekin 7.5

Last edited by Maxxingout; 11-19-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Maxxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #761
Tech Elite
 
t0p_sh0tta's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,863
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxingout View Post
Does anyone have any info on how to setup the f & r diffs? How tight, best way to break in, and so forth. I've done 2wd ball diffs but not sure on a 4wd?

Also are the the piston sizes that come in the kit 1.7,1.6,1.5? I tried getting calipers inside the hole but I really don't get a accurate reading.
Same thing as the 2WD diffs. Take your time breaking them in and don't allow them to slip. Once you get them properly setup, you can adjust them ~1/8-1/4 turn either way to increase or decrease rotation.
__________________
I've met some of the strangest people while playing with my toy cars...
t0p_sh0tta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #762
Tech Regular
 
rmtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cocoa,Fl.
Posts: 455
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxingout View Post
Does anyone have any info on how to setup the f & r diffs? How tight, best way to break in, and so forth. I've done 2wd ball diffs but not sure on a 4wd?

Also are the the piston sizes that come in the kit 1.7,1.6,1.5? I tried getting calipers inside the hole but I really don't get a accurate reading.
Take a sharpie marker and color one side of the pistons,the size
Is stamped into the piston just hard to see till you color it.
__________________
Rich Schaeffer -Sponsors include : My Wife and we drive:
B5M/TC 6.2-Tekin,LRP,Trinity,Airtronics
Mitchell- Centro C4.2/T4.2/SpecR S2-Tekin,Airtronics
Trevor-B5R- LRP,Reedy,Airtronics
Our home track is Space Coast R/C
rmtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #763
Tech Elite
 
Sarinexia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 2,019
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dMITIj View Post
what is yamabond and is there an other product that do the same thing? because i haven'r heard about "yamabond" here in Denmark

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...FQvznAodmjcAGQ


Best Regards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta View Post
Same thing as the 2WD diffs. Take your time breaking them in and don't allow them to slip. Once you get them properly setup, you can adjust them ~1/8-1/4 turn either way to increase or decrease rotation.
Top -- I am 100% new to ball diffs and about to hit the "break in" bench phase. What do you mean "slip". I did everything as exactly stated on the forums and in the manual ---- there better not be any "slip" lol ---

Blah --- little confused on this process.
__________________
Where grown men can act like babies....
Welcome to RC
Sarinexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #764
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 290
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarinexia View Post
Top -- I am 100% new to ball diffs and about to hit the "break in" bench phase. What do you mean "slip". I did everything as exactly stated on the forums and in the manual ---- there better not be any "slip" lol ---

Blah --- little confused on this process.
Hope this helps a little.

The main point is that the slipper clutch needs to slip before the diff does.

If you have the diffs out of the car and on the bench......take two allen drivers and insert them into the outdrives(to hold the outdrives still). Try to turn the diff gear.....it should be very difficult to turn. If it's not...then diff is deffenately too loose....tighten 1/8th - 1/4qtr and re-check.

Does that make any sense?
__________________
Travis Adams
Moto1 RC Painting
travymoto1@gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Moto1-RC-painting-and-Adams-Family-Racing/555471424493219
travymoto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #765
Tech Champion
 
MattP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 9,404
Trader Rating: 413 (100%+)
Default

To anyone that has switched from the b44.1 to the b44.2 what driving differences have you noticed? Does the .2 just have better rough track handling as it's major attribute?
__________________
8B2.0E, 8T2.0E, SCTE, Emaxx BLS, Savage XL FLUX
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC10B4.1 FT/WC Wildcat1971 Electric Off-Road 28708 12-12-2014 01:25 PM
B44.1 Thread RCHR Electric Off-Road 2998 11-05-2014 01:27 AM
FS/FT Factory Team Associated Rollers SC10 and T4.1 ketthoover05 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 8 04-11-2012 10:53 AM
Associated Factory Team B4 + parts, tires, custom body Cpt.America R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 13 04-09-2010 12:10 PM


All times are GMT -8. It is currently 08:27 AM.



SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0