Wiki Posts
Search

Ft sc10 2wd vs modded slash?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Ft sc10 2wd vs modded slash?

Hi, I'm thinking about trading my slash for an ft sc10. My slashs main peformance upgrades are the strc lcg kit and protrac kit. Do you reckon an ft sc10 would still out handle my slash?
Thanks
Old 09-23-2012, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OMG23RC
Hi, I'm thinking about trading my slash for an ft sc10. My slashs main peformance upgrades are the strc lcg kit and protrac kit. Do you reckon an ft sc10 would still out handle my slash?
Thanks
Have you considered the losi 22sct or the Durango ? I'd take either of these before a sc10 or the modded slash.. but as with anything, just an opinion
Old 09-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Thanks
All day long, the sc10 is still on top contrary to what some think. Look what sc still winning races. The sc10 will require more fine of a driving style, but will be faster if setup and driven correctly.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I switched from an lcg slash to an sc10 this summer. They actually drive pretty similar. The only two places I really notice a difference is:

Really weird off balance 1 wheel jump landings, the sc10 will actually save some of the landings that would wreck my slash.

On power steering, the sc10 seems to have a little more and lets me get on the throttle a tiny bit earlier at corner exits. This could be from setup differences between the two trucks but I could never get a good balance of rear traction and on power steering with the slash.

One other thing that helps at least at my track is the similarity between the sc10, b4, and t4. You need some setup help any of the fast guys with buggies or stadium trucks can usually help, not so much with the slash.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thanks
The SC10, 22sct, DESC210, Ultima SC, and even the XXX sct will all be better than the LCG slash. The same thing we tried to tell you a month or so back when you were asking about upgrading your Slash. You'll be much more satisfied with any of those.

Originally Posted by ovalracer1m
All day long, the sc10 is still on top contrary to what some think. Look what sc still winning races. The sc10 will require more fine of a driving style, but will be faster if setup and driven correctly.
Yes and no. AE wins more than most because they have the best drivers. Ryan and Ryan are simply a notch above the rest, even if the rest of them are world class drivers themselves. What is more indicative of a vehicle is what is does in the hands of Joe Club Racer. With only 4 racedays on my DESC210, I am already faster with it than my SC10 which I had years of tuning and racing with. I handed my radio to another fellow racer last time out and he was faster with my truck than he was with his SC10 as well within only 5 laps- and this was using a different radio than he was used to. The SC10 is a great truck, no doubt, but saying it's hands down the best just because Cav and Maifield dominate with it is flawed logic.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Thanks
I hope you are not expecting a un-baised answer to this question. Most racers on here hate Traxxas, so brand "xxxxxxxx" is always going to be "better" in their opinion. The standard answer you will get is "Hek yeah, dude, the SC10 is WAY BETTER!!!..blah....blah.."

Will the FT SC10 out handle the Slash? There are a lot of factors in that question. It sorta depends on the track you run it on. If you run outdoors on a loose track, I doubt you would feel a difference. On an indoor high grip track, with a technical layout, the SC10 would be the better choice. Your driving style comes into play was well. If you are heavy on the throttle, the SC10 will punish you more for mistakes, big time.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

Thanks
Before you go investing in the next "latest and greatest" (which isn't an issue that ever goes away by the way) how good of a driver are you? Improving your driving will always yield MUCH more than improving your vehicle. If you feel that you don't make many mistakes going around the track, then upgrade, if you're lap times vary by more than 10% from slowest to fastest (throwing out laps where you were taken out) then focus on you for now. Basically if you're fast lap is 15 seconds than your slowest lap should be 16.5 seconds. If your lap times are 14.7 16.4 13.2 17.9 then you need to work on driving.

Just trying to save you money.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scottgir
Before you go investing in the next "latest and greatest" (which isn't an issue that ever goes away by the way) how good of a driver are you? Improving your driving will always yield MUCH more than improving your vehicle. If you feel that you don't make many mistakes going around the track, then upgrade, if you're lap times vary by more than 10% from slowest to fastest (throwing out laps where you were taken out) then focus on you for now. Basically if you're fast lap is 15 seconds than your slowest lap should be 16.5 seconds. If your lap times are 14.7 16.4 13.2 17.9 then you need to work on driving.

Just trying to save you money.
+1 to this! Just watched a club race a few weeks ago where a racer who steadily ran his Traxxas Slash and practiced often was able to win in a field of SC10's, XXX-SCT's and 22SCT's. Ultimately, the driver is the deciding factor as proven by this but what's to say that this same driver won't be even more of a threat once he upgrades to a true race truck?
Old 09-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Which is better really falls down into what fits your driving style and ability. I had a fully modified anza slash that won numerous races. With that said the sc10 fits MY driving style more. I prefer lots of corner entry speed which my slash couldn't dish out.

To be honest, you're going to get a lot of different answers to your question. You're better off making friends with people at the track and trying out the variety of trucks. The other thing is practice, practice, practice. The more you work on your driving ability, the faster you will be. Remember that your driving style is MUCH different than the next person. YOU have to do the leg work and tune your own ride to your liking.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Its all in the tuning. I think with a Losi or Associated you will get more help and a better tune. Unless you are amazing at setting up your own cars. I spent more on my slash 4x4 then buying a brand new SCTE. I eventually switched to an SCTE.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Depends on your goals, expectations and level of commitment. Also depends on if you are just club racing how good is everyone. What I mean is guys here say the Slash sucks at racing but some clubs you go to a 'good' driver with good to average other drivers it may be relatively competitive.

I have a slash and am doing a custom LCG from the Rustler chassis, all engineered by me. What are my expectations? I've only raced M-Chassis, no offroad.. i'm going in cheap and just want to have fun and finish races.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonny5
The SC10, 22sct, DESC210, Ultima SC, and even the XXX sct will all be better than the LCG slash. The same thing we tried to tell you a month or so back when you were asking about upgrading your Slash. You'll be much more satisfied with any of those.

Yes and no. AE wins more than most because they have the best drivers. Ryan and Ryan are simply a notch above the rest, even if the rest of them are world class drivers themselves. What is more indicative of a vehicle is what is does in the hands of Joe Club Racer. With only 4 racedays on my DESC210, I am already faster with it than my SC10 which I had years of tuning and racing with. I handed my radio to another fellow racer last time out and he was faster with my truck than he was with his SC10 as well within only 5 laps- and this was using a different radio than he was used to. The SC10 is a great truck, no doubt, but saying it's hands down the best just because Cav and Maifield dominate with it is flawed logic.
i understand that. Both ryans are amazing drivers and that is why they win races. My comment was more aimed at Eight-e's comment, i should have worded it differently. My main point was, the sc10 should outhandle, carry more corner speed, and just be overall faster on the track vs the slash. I dont doubt that some other sc's out there fit other people's driving styles better, and they are then faster, but the slash isnt one of them. I would however love to try a desc210 out to see how i like it. That is about the only SC i havent seen in action.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Having driven both and done the LCG conversion on my Slash, I still think the SC10 is easier to drive fast, for me anyways. My SC10 has been more durable than the Slash too , which really surprises me, and I'm not easy on either one.
That being said, I'm gonna sell the SC10 after 2 season and try the 22SCT, just because I want to. I may end up coming back to the SC10 but I wont go back to the Slash. I dont dislike it, had a blast with that truck, just had to put way too much money into it to get it competitive. .02