Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
NEWB buying traxxas slash 4x4 >

NEWB buying traxxas slash 4x4

NEWB buying traxxas slash 4x4

Old 09-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default NEWB buying traxxas slash 4x4

just looking for some advice, i am looking at buying a traxxas slash 4x4 its about 400USD.

any suggestions? am i paying a fair price for a new product or could i get better for the money?
Old 09-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What are your goals? Are you looking for something to just bash with, or are you looking to get into racing?
Old 09-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

To be honest, whether you're bashing or racing I would recommend the Losi SCTE. The truck is a tank, and it's a great race truck for this class. I have yet to travel to a track where the field was not dominated by it. It may be a little bit more expensive than the Slash 4x4 but in my opinion you are receiving a much superior product.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

can you link me to some where i can get a deal on it?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AeR0
can you link me to some where i can get a deal on it?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...E-Radio-System
Old 09-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by T. Herwig
To be honest, whether you're bashing or racing I would recommend the Losi SCTE. The truck is a tank, and it's a great race truck for this class. I have yet to travel to a track where the field was not dominated by it. It may be a little bit more expensive than the Slash 4x4 but in my opinion you are receiving a much superior product.

i checked out this truck,

i can get a slash 4x4 for about 400 taxes in,

this one is pretty much a rolling chassis so i figure by the time i get a controller for it, battery,motor im another 400.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

i checked out this truck,

i can get a slash 4x4 for about 400 taxes in,

this one is pretty much a rolling chassis so i figure by the time i get a controller for it, battery,motor im another 400.
The link I posted is a RTR vehicle. It's a bit more expensive but it's proven. The Slash 4x4's I've seen have just been a pain to work on, and to keep running in general. Just my observation and opinion on it of course! Just throwing another option out there for you to consider.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

The Losi TEN-SCTE RTR is $499 at A Main Hobbies. Get the TLR tuning kit if you plan on racing it and you'll be set, or find a deal on a used one with the TLR tuning kit already installed.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by bdyche
The Losi TEN-SCTE RTR is $499 at A Main Hobbies. Get the TLR tuning kit if you plan on racing it and you'll be set, or find a deal on a used one with the TLR tuning kit already installed.

Thanks for the input!

What is a Tlr kit?????
Old 09-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the input!

What is a Tlr kit?????
http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Def...ProdID=TLR0901

The Losi Race upgrade kit. It's not necessary on this truck but it does of course help, especially for racing. To get started though, the RTR is still a nice truck.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by bdyche

With the TLR tuning kit how quick would this truck be?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My brother has a slash 4x4 and it's a pretty cool truck, very tough but it handles like garbage. I just bought a ten scte. I got the roller but I would suggest the rtr for you. It handles like a dream and is better quality than the slash.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by T. Herwig
http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Def...ProdID=TLR0901

The Losi Race upgrade kit. It's not necessary on this truck but it does of course help, especially for racing. To get started though, the RTR is still a nice truck.
I would almost disagree here. I would recommend getting the TLR kit at least for the shock towers as they will bend in a matter of minutes with a new driver. Maybe not install the full kit, but at least have the shock towers on it before going crazy.

With the TLR tuning kit how quick would this truck be?
At my local track the SCTE is dominant over everything else in various configurations. Guys are fast with the MIP kit, the TLR tuned chassis and mine is quick with the Bump Racing chassis (and I don't even know how to drive a 4x4, lol). As long as the TLR kit is on the truck you will be in good shape as everything else is truly a buy it if you break it type of upgrade (chassis braces, drive shafts, etc.).
Old 09-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

So if I bought the Losi RTR and did not use the TLR kit could I buy a similar setup through traxxas as I get partsvery cheap from traxxas
Old 09-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

So if I bought the Losi RTR and did not use the TLR kit could I buy a similar setup through traxxas as I get partsvery cheap from traxxas
No, unfortunately. Even the most race worthy Slash will get dominated by pretty much anything else on the market except an Ofna/Jammin. The Slash is a great truck to play with and parts are reasonably cheap, but conversely the Losi is a bit more expensive but is a tank, and replacement parts are not much more than the Traxxas, either. It really comes down to what you want. A truck that is setup as a racer may not be the best basher, just as much as a truck setup to be a great basher (with tons of heavy, but durable parts) will not be a great racer. The biggest issue with the Traxxas Slash 4x4 is the center of gravity is a relative mile higher than that of the Losi/Durango/Associated 4x4 trucks it would be racing against. That alone presents a huge obstacle to overcome from a physics standpoint, so unless you have other-worldly skills you will be hard pressed to keep up with the race trucks on the track.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.