Wiki Posts
Search

picking out a 1/8 e buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default picking out a 1/8 e buggy?

i have been in this hobby for a ling time now and 1/8 has also been out for a long time too. my question is what should i really be looking into getting for 1/8 electric? im stuck right now rc8.2e and the ofna hyper 9e hyper star e and the nexx 8. it seems like now these days there isnt a big difference in which buggy is better its more like how good the driver is. i have a soft spot for AE and ofna so im not sure which one i should try and go with. is the rc8.2e rtr up to spec in esc and motor to at least keep up with most drivers? i really dont care about the radio because that will be swaped out right as i get one. i used to race 1/8 when it was only nitro and i had a hyper 7 and 8 and loved those cars even tho i knew they were not up to spec with cars like the jammin AE losi xray mugen and kyosho. so it seems like im just looking for a push for which car i should go with more.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Caster ones just got a lot of updates. Speaking of which. I need to do a press release.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You are going to get a lot of opinions on this one as everyone has there own personal favorite. Personally I prefer the Mugen hands down. I love the way it handles and it just doesnt break or wear out anything like other rc's that I have owned. The Losi is a very forgiving and easy to drive car, I also like the way the 8.2 handles. I have never driven a Caster but from what I hear it is basically a MBX5. One thing to consider is how much are you going to spend on each car in hop ups to make perform how you want it to. I run my Mugen box stock. With my Losi I spent as much on hop ups as I did the buggy trying to get the handling and durability to where I wanted it. Bottom line, most all are good so do your research, drive some if you can and pick what you like.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:33 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by some87
i have been in this hobby for a ling time now and 1/8 has also been out for a long time too. my question is what should i really be looking into getting for 1/8 electric? im stuck right now rc8.2e and the ofna hyper 9e hyper star e and the nexx 8. it seems like now these days there isnt a big difference in which buggy is better its more like how good the driver is. i have a soft spot for AE and ofna so im not sure which one i should try and go with. is the rc8.2e rtr up to spec in esc and motor to at least keep up with most drivers? i really dont care about the radio because that will be swaped out right as i get one. i used to race 1/8 when it was only nitro and i had a hyper 7 and 8 and loved those cars even tho i knew they were not up to spec with cars like the jammin AE losi xray mugen and kyosho. so it seems like im just looking for a push for which car i should go with more.
There are a lot of good buggies out there. Are you looking to race or just have some fun at the track or in your back yard? If bashing is your thing, then you really don't need a full on race buggy. Something like the RTR Vorza would be a good choice. If you are looking to race, then an RC8.2e or similar racer would be a better choice.

I have driven/raced quite a few, so I did my own little set of reviews....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&pli=1#gid=0
Old 09-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ofna X3 Sabre!!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Try the tekno eb48 made just for 1/8 electric.
I to was out for a while but decided on that one and best fit and build
that i ever had.. I have been doing this since 1987
or try ebay there are a couple of rc8e 2.? looks like good deals.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

http://www.casterracingusa.com/home.php?cat=60

Check um out. I've ran AE, Kyosho, and Mugen. I have one in the way
Old 09-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

cool guys thanks for all the input. im not a pro racer or even a good racer even tho i should be for how long i have been in the hobby. i have been in rc since 2000 and have owned almost every type of car out there. i think im going to have to go with the rc8.2e just because i can get parts local very easy. if racing was bigger around here and we had shops that were bigger i think i would go with the caster buggy maybe even the tekno buggy. but for the plane fact that we only have 2 hobby shops out here and one of them carries AE stuff and the other only carries losi stuff im going with ae. im not a fan of losi after all the crap they put out in the past few years. im not saying all there stuff is crap but if its not built for racing (1/10 1/8 buggy/truck and sc) its crap as in parts are very weak and CQ is piss poor.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lawnmowerjockey
You are going to get a lot of opinions on this one as everyone has there own personal favorite. Personally I prefer the Mugen hands down. I love the way it handles and it just doesnt break or wear out anything like other rc's that I have owned. The Losi is a very forgiving and easy to drive car, I also like the way the 8.2 handles. I have never driven a Caster but from what I hear it is basically a MBX5. One thing to consider is how much are you going to spend on each car in hop ups to make perform how you want it to. I run my Mugen box stock. With my Losi I spent as much on hop ups as I did the buggy trying to get the handling and durability to where I wanted it. Bottom line, most all are good so do your research, drive some if you can and pick what you like.
+1000. The Mugen eco us. Is a pre built race car.