Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
plugged battery in wrong way... still works? >

plugged battery in wrong way... still works?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

plugged battery in wrong way... still works?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default plugged battery in wrong way... still works?

Hey, I just plugged in my lipo the wrong way and i heard all these sparks and turned of my esc quickly. I was @#$%&^! scared as hell. It unsoldered the connectors from battery and the wires were very hot. The esc put out a little bit of smoke but was not hot at all. so i soldered my battery connectors back on and turned my esc on. IT WORKS. But my question is will it be the same as normal or will it like have some faults now? Should I get a new one?
Thanks
Old 09-04-2012, 12:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Id say your 1 lucky fellow...Never seen 1 work after smoke comes from them....Only way to see if everything works is RUN IT!!!!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Tech Regular

It is not that hard to make a short protection circuit in an esc, so maybe yours have one. Run it and see if you can detect any negative effects.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:30 AM
Tech Master

You should really look into a way that doesn't let you plug it in wrong.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RatsacK
You should really look into a way that doesn't let you plug it in wrong.
Since you mentioned it why not suggest a way to do so????????????
Old 09-04-2012, 12:37 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You made a mistake. If it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. There is nothing you can do about it now, except to make sure that you are aware of what you are doing when you plug your in your battery. Why post it on rctech? None of us can do anything about it. If it goes up in smoke, it could be because of what you did, or the esc could last all of eternity.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:17 AM
Tech Master

I tired it twice and it worked and i went out to try it again and their was like a pop sound. So now when i turn it on it does two beeps and the esc sounds like a resticted servo (like errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) the steering works but their is no throttle. i think it is now dead
Old 09-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Tech Master

and now my motor is smoking
Old 09-04-2012, 02:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ilanstylz
Since you mentioned it why not suggest a way to do so????????????
I'd like to know how he did it in the first place, unless he's using bullets. Just stay away from direct bullet connectors unless they're something that can only fit one way.
What are you currently using?
Old 09-04-2012, 03:16 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RatsacK
I'd like to know how he did it in the first place, unless he's using bullets. Just stay away from direct bullet connectors unless they're something that can only fit one way.
What are you currently using?
Short of wiring a polarized connector incorrectly, the only way he could plug it in backwards is if they were bullets, so common sense would dictate that it was in fact a pack with bullet connectors. I have been in this hobby for 20+ years, and have been using lipos for longer than most of you have been into the hobby. I have never incorrectly plugged in a bullet connector pack. It really is as easy as paying attention to what you are doing. Think before you act. Again, you did what you did, and all you can do is learn from it. You smoked an esc, get over it. I had a receiver that over the course of 2 years caused the failure of 2 Tekin and 3 speed passion esc's. It took 2 weekends in a row melting 2 speed passion esc's to finally put it all together to realize that the receiver was the common component in every failure. I guess that was the downside of have so many r/c cars, and moving electronics from one to another based on where I was racing, and what class my friends were going to run that weekend.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:53 AM
Suspended

Deans plugs and you can't plug it in the wrong way.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've heard it before, electronics run on smoke and when the smoke leaks out they're dead. Too bad about your stuff burning up. The only thing you can do is be super careful in the future.
H2on0 likes this.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

Would should I do with the fried motor and esc? That $230 just burnt up
Old 09-04-2012, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OMG23RC

Do what most people seem to do in todays world. Send it to the manufacturer, cry, stomp your feet and hold your breath until they agree to send you a new one even though you made a mistake.

Or you can man up to your mistake and put it on the shelf as a reminder not to make that expensive mistake again.

Seriously, you might be able to send it in and get a discount on a new unit even though it was your fault.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OMG23RC
I would call them and tell them exactly what happened and get a repair cost, if you are truly lucky they will just fix or replace it like warranty, but that is not to be counted on.

Knowing how that will be played out will let you decide if you would rather repair or replace... and to repair it can take a good deal of time, sometimes weeks to complete.

Another option is to do both, and when the repair comes back you have a "spare" on hand now. Not sure if that is an option though, but if you can go that way with it you would be in good shape later if the need comes up again somehow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.