R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default ::: Tamiya XV-01 PRO Rally 1/10 Review!!! :::

Hi guys i'm Benz from Thailand, this is my first post in RCTECH.com and i feel abit nerves hahaha.. a few days ago i got myself a XV-01 PRO kit and the performance was too good to be true!! the stabilities of the car is perfect for both tarmac and off road track. The normal setting out of the box works perfectly! The car itself is like TA-03 mix with DF-03 (stable like a touring car but have an ability of a off-road rally too in a sametime). If anyone really interest in buying a 1/10 rally car or a rally fans i will recommend u get the XV-01 or XV-01 PRO! worth every cents!

check out some of the pic i taken a few days ago... Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
::: Tamiya XV-01 PRO Rally 1/10 Review!!! :::-20120903_031748_resize.jpg   ::: Tamiya XV-01 PRO Rally 1/10 Review!!! :::-20120902_054502_resize.jpg  
KO Propo EX-1 K.I.Y
iluvm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Tech Rookie

KO Propo EX-1 K.I.Y
iluvm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kevin107 Send a message via MSN to kevin107

What motor/ESC are you running in it?
Old 09-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just ordered one today' can't wait!
Djtrippusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Awesome car... thanks for sharing
ljh501 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #6
Tech Adept

I found that mine had some issues with the suspension and steering, the steering knuckles bind at full lock and the lower arms have just under 0.5mm of play when built according to the manual. Weird, but fixable.

Mine is primarily running on-road (tarmac rally, drift, "touge") so I left out the dust/dirt protection gear and it's starting to look a bit more like the old TA03. Because I'm using lightweight servo, ESC and receiver though the weight balance L/R is completely off, and I'm contemplating having a new base chassis made to move the battery farther towards the centerline. Please LMK if anyone's interested!
Attached Thumbnails
::: Tamiya XV-01 PRO Rally 1/10 Review!!! :::-img_20120911_232801_hdr.jpg  
Old 09-12-2012, 05:05 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Scale Stage R/C Rally
Old 09-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Highly recommend this chassis as well. Super planted on or off road...Tamiya nailed the set-up imo. I just changed the tires and ride height from factory settings and so far it drives like a dream!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

What kind of jumps can this take, how much suspension travel is there? I have always been a fan of the Rally concept and have just been waiting for a proper execution, this one looks promising!
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

I'm trying to find out what parts are included in the Pro vs the kit?
Old 11-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Default My personal overview and experience

Probably one of the most important differences between the pro and the regular kit is the upgrade to TRF shocks. You also get an aluminum motor mount, aluminum turnbuckle shafts, and steel universal driveshafts all around.

The TRF dampers are wonderful but the springs are something to be desired...it's too soft. In my first rally race on tarmac (medium grip) with patches of sand, there was too much body roll and the chassis was too mushy. Trust me, it looks realistic and cool as hell but man it was painful to drive. On hard turns the back wheel would actually lift. Stiffer springs and/or anti-roll bars could have helped here.
So before my second rally race, I purchased Tamiya's On road tuned hard white spring set part# 49382. For low grip offroad I installed the soft (reds) in the rear and medium (yellows) in the front. Used the stock damper oil that came in the kit all around...I think it's Tamiya #900 wt. Wow what a world of difference over the stock springs. This upgrade is a must! It was responsive but not jittery and soft enough for traction on snow/dirt/asphalt (surface type I raced this past weekend). It was easy to drive. An easy driving car is a fast car. To me it felt balanced.

This is my first belt driven car and it's smooth and quiet compared to shaft driven vehicles which means something to the quality of this product. The mud fenders are an excellent touch, the semi-sealed esc and rx compartment is excellent, and the sealed silicone filled diff is wonderful. Building the pro kit was fun as was my other Tamiya kits.

Now for some of the negative bits of this build. Tamiya couldn't completely pimp out the pro kit loaded to high heaven...they won't make money that way. So what broke on my XV01 this weekend during one of my races? My drivers side front suspension mount broke (made of plastic!). Tamiya conveniently released aluminum versions 54379, 54376, and 54377 (for the rears). So I'll be upgrading to those as the plastic ones will be too brittle for racing in the cold (-5 C).
Bulky aluminum parts are quite durable. However, in non bulky form we found that aluminum turnbuckles are not suitable for jumping in cold weather. One other racers XV01 turnbuckle broke after some light jumping. He was very upset. So if you are doing some serious jumping or running in cold weather, I suggest using steel turnbuckles.
Other than that everything is great on this car. Use the right tires for the road conditions and fine tune the suspension and you got a great rally car and could make for an intermediate on road car too.

Also, if you're doing hard running and jumping with this car, get the Tamiya slipper clutch set 54378. Note that the slipper is 77t and the stock it 68t so you'll be losing some top end speed if you don't change to a larger pinion.

Out of the box using a 17.5T on 2s lipo with the stock gearing (22t pinion/68t spur) was a bit slow. So I ordered Tamiya 26t and 27t pinion set 54228. The 26t was perfect for rally on snow/dirt.
Comparing to the DF03ra which I also have, they both are comparable in performance. I know because I raced a couple DF03ra's this past weekend and they are still a great car. But the XV-01 is something new and I had to have it. The front motor position is something unique to me and I must say that I like the front weight bias. It's a different driving experience for sure....meaning a positive one.

Overall, I'm more than happy with the XV-01.
Evandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:03 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

I want to upgrade the motor, esc, battery on my XV-01 (more speed). Currently running with a tamiya sport tuned motor and NiMH batteries. I was thinking brushless and lipo batteries but do not know much about this new fangled stuff.. Something simple not too expensive. Not going in comps or anything just racing my track at home.
kebersihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:26 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Steering knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by color0 View Post
I found that mine had some issues with the suspension and steering, the steering knuckles bind at full lock and the lower arms have just under 0.5mm of play when built according to the manual. Weird, but fixable.

Mine is primarily running on-road (tarmac rally, drift, "touge") so I left out the dust/dirt protection gear and it's starting to look a bit more like the old TA03. Because I'm using lightweight servo, ESC and receiver though the weight balance L/R is completely off, and I'm contemplating having a new base chassis made to move the battery farther towards the centerline. Please LMK if anyone's interested!
Here is the deal. I have the same issue, but I can't find a way to fix it. Can you please help me? Great build though
frodepv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #14
Tech Rookie

Default Steering knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodepv View Post
Here is the deal. I have the same issue, but I can't find a way to fix it. Can you please help me? Great build though
After some cursing, screwing and searching I found out that the part I needed lay in the E-bag. Check out the pink tap. Those are important. After I put those in it was snowrally next
Attached Thumbnails
::: Tamiya XV-01 PRO Rally 1/10 Review!!! :::-1538912_10151786942466901_59700301_n.jpg  
frodepv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

those are used to push the bones further into the outdrives, and reduce chatter. You can get a better steering angle with them in as well, as the bones won't pop out when turning sharply, and bind.