Is 2wd buggy all but dead?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is 2wd buggy all but dead?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah, I've gone up there a few times but at the time I was told there was no electric class anymore.

So after trying for months to find any place that had electric off road I sold off all my electric stuff and went 8th scale

I would get an electric again if I knew the closer tracks like the miami track or possibly mills pond were running electric.

Last time I went to mills pond I was surprized how run down it is, have you been there recently and if so has was it?

Not sure if you've been to the track up in Boca, but it's not bad especially considering that it is free and you can pretty much go anytime.

I'm not sure if they run races there though.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Buggy is good here in Detriot stock and Mod 4wheel aint to bad either
Old 03-14-2005, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by midnight oil
Yeah, I've gone up there a few times but at the time I was told there was no electric class anymore.

So after trying for months to find any place that had electric off road I sold off all my electric stuff and went 8th scale

I would get an electric again if I knew the closer tracks like the miami track or possibly mills pond were running electric.

Last time I went to mills pond I was surprized how run down it is, have you been there recently and if so has was it?

Not sure if you've been to the track up in Boca, but it's not bad especially considering that it is free and you can pretty much go anytime.

I'm not sure if they run races there though.
call and ask for jim at southeast hobbies. We have about ten guys who want to race 2wd buggies at coral springs. You can find his contact info in my sig by clicking on the southeast rc link.

Mills pond is still the same. They still race electric at coral springs. Plus who ever told you they dont race no electric is full of it show up with three cars and they will hold a class for us. But I dont want to race there. I rather go to csprings it only 15 minutes nw of there and 30 minutes south of boca.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

That's cool, that's where I buy all my Rc stuff from. Got my bro a mayhem and mini t there. Great shop

I remember asking a while ago about an electric class there and from the sound of it there wasn't much going on at the time.

But maybe I'll get an elctric setup again and get in contact with the coral track.

BTW, any of you guys race 4wd electric, that's what I really would like to race

Old 03-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Around here 2wd buggy & 1/8th scale are king.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

2wd buggy is about the only electric class left around here. Everything is gas, a really good turnout for buggy is 10 people, sometimes there isn't even enough for a class.

1/10th gas truck is king
1/8th is getting bigger
and monster truck racing is poplular at a lot of tracks.

Me being a hardcore electric guy can't even race offroad anymore.

I'm about sick of touring cars too b/c everywhere allows foams on asphalt and that kills it for me.

Seems like all the old school guys like me are getting driven out. I remember back in the day when there was no gas period. It was either Truck or buggy, stock or mod. With fifty differnt classes now racing is dieing off period.

I give up.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Tech Adept

I guess it may not be too applicable, but I'm in Sydney, Australia, and for off-road, there are 3 clubs within about 40 mins drive of my house. One of them runs EP only, with 90% stock 2wd buggy.

The other two run mostly electric, with just a few guys running nitro 1/10th stadium trucks. They would get 30 EP and maybe 6 or 8 nitros.

In most of Sydney, its EP first, and daylight second, there are simply too many noise, neighbours, environmental and runaway issues and PR hassles for nitro to take off in the more heavily populated areas of Sydney. Our club runs EP only, and we even have hassles with residents complaining about the noise of the PA system, we would have NO hope running nitros.

Further west there are clubs doing off road nitro, and they have a more even spread of nitro v EP. Most of the nitros are 1/8 buggies.

Nitro Monster racing is very slow to take off here, quite rightly in my opinion, since its a pretty big risk to sink a truckload of money into a nitro truck when there are no nationally (let alone internationally) ratified class rules. You could sink a pile of money to find that you're not competitive due to a local rule interpretation.

At least with EP and 1/8th nitros you have the peace of mind of conforming to a recognised (although daft) set of internationally recognised rules.

MIKE
Old 03-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

It's too bad to hear EP Off-Road Racing is at a low down there (South Florida). I thought with the State having big races (yearly Losi Championship race and the last IFMAR Worlds - both held at Minnreg, Clearwater) it would have sparked greater enthusiasm and interest. Furthermore, having a great 4WD buggy developed by Jason Ruona and Brad Reelfs of JConcepts over in Clermont, FL should also have helped the EP 4WD Class grow!?!

Though I know it's easier said than done.... but if at least 10-15 guys can be found within a decent radius of a particular Track.... it really would be best to get a club going and make use of a track you can all call home base for regular Off-Road racing!
Old 03-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by STEALTH
It's too bad to hear EP Off-Road Racing is at a low down there (South Florida). I thought with the State having big races (yearly Losi Championship race and the last IFMAR Worlds - both held at Minnreg, Clearwater) it would have sparked greater enthusiasm and interest. Furthermore, having a great 4WD buggy developed by Jason Ruona and Brad Reelfs of JConcepts over in Clermont, FL should also have helped the EP 4WD Class grow!?!

Though I know it's easier said than done.... but if at least 10-15 guys can be found within a decent radius of a particular Track.... it really would be best to get a club going and make use of a track you can all call home base for regular Off-Road racing!
There is some offroad but its either t-maxxes or 8th scale buggies, and the 10th scale trucks. Towards central and north florida there is intrest but limited in the Ep racing nitro offroad has just taken off. Esspecially up state because there is hardly any noise ordinances because of it being rural.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:58 AM
Tech Regular

Stealth it's just really south Florida.

The rest of the state especially up in the tampa area still has a strong scene going

No idea why it's dead in the south of the state.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Here at our local track (Tallahassee), we run all types but the electric classes have been the classes lately. The gas was big but has died down over the last several months. Now we get between 3-8 electric car and trucks per class plus a 4wd class often and up to 4 MT's at our races. Most of the guy purchased the RTR gas thinking that was the way to go but after a few months of bashing in the race and due to the lack of maintenace skills, they are seeing the light of electrics. Several are looking to purchase electric in the near future.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

the mind set in central florida is different.
Here in south florida the people are different.
Our hobby stores see sales as a one time deal and these people will never race.
Kids come in I want an rc car the salesman asks what kind of car do you want? the kid will say a gas car!

And that where's ep or the prospect of a future racer was just knocked down.

Pluss the attitude of the guys running the track is that offroad is stricly 8th scale.

Last edited by speedxl; 03-18-2005 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:40 AM
Tech Regular

True, and many of those guys look very similiar to your avatar
Old 03-21-2005, 04:01 PM
Tech Regular

Smile

Southern California . Electric onroad, and offroad is the most popular. Too many Eco-Friendly, noise polution tree huggers live around here !
Old 03-21-2005, 04:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Well, it's the same here in Va. Seems like everyone wants to race gas 1/8th scale. OR, they go and buy the stuff to race and just end up playing in the back yard with it. It's really gotten bad here. When I first started racing about 10 years ago you would have an A and B main. Now we are lucky to get enough to race. What a shame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.