Hobbywing vs Tekin >

Hobbywing vs Tekin

Hobbywing vs Tekin

Old 09-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by babydaddy
Don’t waste your money. Get the Hobby Wing
And here is why.
I used to be a diehard Tekin fan. I am on my 3rd and last Rx8 and I had to pay $94 dollars for them to be replaced. You can get the Hobbywing Xerun150 $99 dollars. I know some people say they did not have to pay for repairs but I and most people I race with did. It was always $94 dollars for us all. The Hobbywing Xerun 150 is just as smooth and I think has a more reliable BEC plus, your fan does not go out so much. I have seen at least once every other week an RX8 catch fire or go up in smoke at our local track. We call it the 94 dollar pop sound. My wife is currently running the RX8 until I replace it with a Xe150. I have been running the Hobbywing for over a year with no issues. Even if Tekin helps you out for free, your still dealing with a possible burn hole in your body, melted ESC tray and the burnt smell that that seems to linger. Not to mention the countless reports of them cutting out when you make a rough landing. I have noticed they last longer with Kyosho Zeal tape. No offense against Tekin, I just simply think racers should be informed there are other options that may be better.
I cannot say the RX8 is a bad unit because it is absolutely not. If it was no one would use them, right? All I can say is using multiple layers of servo tape or using the Zeal gel-tape will improve the reliability of any speed control.
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Everyone has their right to share their opinion on the subject. This is the great part of an open free market. You can run whatever you want and choose to pay for it.

What we can say is that when racing at the upper levels our performance and reliability has been proven time and time again. Guys like Adam Drake and Ryan Lutz don't just use it because they have to, they choose to use it.
Absolutely true. I have great respect for Tekin and the products they have brought into this industry. If we didn't have all the electronics manufacturers we have now innovating in every way we would still have the mechanical speed controls many of you ran before I was born.

That said, at the same time many pro drivers run the various Hobbywing Xerun electronics and are extremely competitive with them
Old 09-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by rcboy1

That said, at the same time many pro drivers run the various Hobbywing Xerun electronics and are extremely competitive with them
Who exactly are these so called pro drivers you claim are using ?

Any one we know ?
Old 09-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Who exactly are these so called pro drivers you claim are using ?

Any one we know ?
Atsushi Hara for one. Then there are the ones who dont know they are using Hobbywing.....
Old 09-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

I've got 6 RX8s, but the fan problem is really troubling me.... I'm going to jump the boat towards hobbywing 150a even though i'll probably need an external bec. My 2 hobbywing 150a have never need to replace the fan for more than 1.5 years
Old 09-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcboy1
Then there are the ones who dont know they are using Hobbywing.....
I know exactly what you are talking about
Old 09-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Tekin makes good stuff performance wise for sure. No complaints there.

However, and this goes for all the manufacturers, unless your price point to how long it lasts is good, if you truly feel you have a reliable product, how about backing it with a warranty that shows that belief?

To me, there is no reason that if you say your stuff is the best, Manufacturer B who has stuff that works well too should be whipping you with a nice long 1 year warranty and you sit at 90 to 120 days. Unless you of course don't feel it will last that long?

And this is coming from someone who now is running a short warranty ESC, though, the cost to performance is great and considering the warranty length is 90 days, its price new is less than the replacement fee on some high priced ESCs.

For some of us who don't get our gear for free, if you want our business on the high end reliability as well as an industry leading warranty is important.

just my 2 cents.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I run the HW Xerun 150A/Tekin T8 combo in my truggy and it is without a doubt a beastly setup. Haven't really had any issues with the HW, and for ~$100 shipped with a programming card it is hard to beat in bang for your buck.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ferrarieeeee
I've got 6 RX8s, but the fan problem is really troubling me.... I'm going to jump the boat towards hobbywing 150a even though i'll probably need an external bec. My 2 hobbywing 150a have never need to replace the fan for more than 1.5 years
For standard off road racing the fan is not needed on the RX8.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ferrarieeeee
Here is the Tekin RX8 thread you might find useful http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...sc-thread.html

Maybe try using Kyosho Zeal tape. I was turned on to it and was not happy about the price but it turned out to be well worth it.
The fan goes out due to impact, belly flops, bad landings etc. If the blades don’t break off, the vibration alone from the fan itself scraping the paint off the wire on the coil will weaken it to the point where it will not spin on its own. Or like Kcobra said, remove it but you have to gear it properly and have good ventilation. I was never successful removing it racing 8th scale buggy and would thermal at the 7 minute mark in a race but gearing is not my specialty.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by babydaddy
I know exactly what you are talking about
at least one person does...
Old 09-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Tech Champion

I run Tekin motors in all my 1/8th scales, and Tekin ESC's in my 1/10th scales, But I'll never run another RX8 ever again. They DNF too often. I need to use what works for me, not what works for Adam Drake.

-You can help the fan blade issue by glueing a plastic washer to the center top of the fan. The spinning washer will impact the lame flexy case before the blades do, and stop the fan from spinning before the blades hit the case and get ripped off. Not rocket science, no idea why Tekin hasn't figure this out yet.

- no fan? Just open up the left rear of your body just like where you have to open it for header clearance on a nitro. If your ESc is in the left rear, it'll get plenty of air. If you have a goofy Techno, or something with the ESc up front, your pretty much screwed.

-the boards have no shock absorbtion. They just rattle around in thier cases. You can glue the 1/4" Kyosho Gyro gell tape to the ESC to mount it softly. Tekin needs to upgrade it's case. There is no excuse for an ESC to be weaker than a servo.

-Don't care what the pro's run. They have a larger budget and as many Rx8's as they want. I have $600 in broken RX8's out of warranty, no way I'm paying $300 to get them fixed. I just want an ESC that's as reliable as a Brushless servo, or a Hitec 7955 servo.

-I'd rather have wires on the board, or some kind of motor tab, instead of those posts. If an Rx8 power wire falls of they'll act goofy and fail a few packs later. I don't generally have soldering problems with the Rx8's, but sometimes $%^& happens. Never had this problem with regular ESC wires.

-The Hobby Wing costs less than a repaired Rx8 (got to love that 90 day warranty), and is a little more reliable.

-who still uses the ESC BEC? Pull the ESC red wire pin, add a Rx plug into the balence wires on your four cell lipo to get 8.4v to your Rx.

-The Speed Passion Silver Arrow is tougher than both of those ESC's, but you're stuck with 4 cells, and it's not a small ESC.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 09-09-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Like I've said before, to each his own.

The best warranty of course is one you never have to use. However because we have NO control as to how what or where our Rx8's or any other product may be used we feel that the 120 day warranty is fair. Considering we've seen some Rx8's come in looking like they were ejected from the cars they were supposedly in lol.

The current Rx8 case is fine. The boards have no movement inside actually.

As far as the BEC comment that's a bit biased. Currently I'm not aware of ANY esc that is handling some of the HV and more agressive current consuming servos on the market at the moment.

Servos are simply little motor/esc's inside and some are more efficient than others. Some are trying to draw as many as 12-15 amps for brief moments, which is 2 or 3 times more than the BEC rating. Yes that means on "other" esc's it's 3 or even 4 times higher. Asking for this much current over time will cause a failure.

Don't count out the Rx8, you never know what changes may come down the line...
Old 09-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Love the whole dont count out tekin because you never know what will come down the line problem is We have/had these esc that have had manufacture flaw from the factory. I now have the hobbywing because i believe its the best speed control out now. I dont have a factory sending one evertime my car flips over.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:42 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Like I've said before, to each his own.

The best warranty of course is one you never have to use. However because we have NO control as to how what or where our Rx8's or any other product may be used we feel that the 120 day warranty is fair. Considering we've seen some Rx8's come in looking like they were ejected from the cars they were supposedly in lol.

The current Rx8 case is fine. The boards have no movement inside actually.

As far as the BEC comment that's a bit biased. Currently I'm not aware of ANY esc that is handling some of the HV and more agressive current consuming servos on the market at the moment.

Servos are simply little motor/esc's inside and some are more efficient than others. Some are trying to draw as many as 12-15 amps for brief moments, which is 2 or 3 times more than the BEC rating. Yes that means on "other" esc's it's 3 or even 4 times higher. Asking for this much current over time will cause a failure.

Don't count out the Rx8, you never know what changes may come down the line...
I may not agree with all your saying Randy, but I give you credit for at least being willing to say something. Thats a lot more than some other manufacturers do.

Just one comment though on the warranty thing, in particular this part:

However because we have NO control as to how what or where our Rx8's or any other product may be used we feel that the 120 day warranty is fair.
As you know already, the other guys have the same issue too and still do a 1 year warranty.

In general, unless the cost of the ESC is super cheap relative to how long it lasts, I personally got to the point that I would sell the ESC used when the warranty went, and bought another to use. Kind of like a Lease LOL.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

I was wondering should i get Esc and Brushless the Same brand or can i get different branded ones?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.