Wiki Posts
Search

traveling with RC gear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)
Default traveling with RC gear?

Not sure where to put this but figure Id put it here bc im planning on flying with Electric gear. Im from New York and Im going to Las Vegas for the short course show down and was wondering how people flew with their gear. Im bringing a Losi SCTE and Kyosho SCR for cars, M11x and my batteries, charger and spares. Is it best to pack it and ship it out there (I have friends there) or would it be ok to fly with them? I dont know what kinda crap the airlines might give me if I fly with them. Ideas on what you did?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 123 (97%+)

Originally Posted by carbons2k
Not sure where to put this but figure Id put it here bc im planning on flying with Electric gear. Im from New York and Im going to Las Vegas for the short course show down and was wondering how people flew with their gear. Im bringing a Losi SCTE and Kyosho SCR for cars, M11x and my batteries, charger and spares. Is it best to pack it and ship it out there (I have friends there) or would it be ok to fly with them? I dont know what kinda crap the airlines might give me if I fly with them. Ideas on what you did?
I went to palm desert california last fall and shipped my stuff ups. the hotel held it without a problem as it arrived a day before I did. I brought three electric cars( 2 sc and 1 buggy) and ended up using 2 plastic "cosco" trunks that I bought at walmart for 20 bucks each. Nothing got damaged, transmitter included.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I flew from LA to Honolulu with my SC10 last summer and had no issues. I put my tools/spares/tires/body in my checked bag and hand carried my chassis/transmitter/batteries. Got some questions going through security, but it wasn't anything bad, mostly people reminiscing of playing with RC cars back in the day.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

I ship my gear UPS or FedX to be held at a UPS or FedX store near my hotel/campground.

That way the shippers warranty covers loss/theft until I arrive to pick it up. Not sure if UPS/FedX will cover something that's stolen at the hotel. And trying to get a hotel to fess up to such a thing is like squeezing liquor from a stone.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:43 AM
J_P
Tech Addict

Pro drivers fly with their radio, and car. Main reason? You can buy / borrow tires batteries, chargers and tools to get you through practice. But it's pretty hard to drive without a car in the event your luggage doesn't make your flight. Plus it keeps tabs on your expensive / fragile radio. The rest can go with the luggage as a checked bag.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Also when going through security don't call it a transmitter or a radio. Call it a controller. Take the batteries out if the transmitter, but leave the battery pack in the cars. Lipo batteries are not suppose to be brought aboard a plane by them selves, but if they are installed in the devices they were designed for it is okay. When I have flown to races I gave always carried my cars and TX with me. Like others have stated the pros have those gorilla trunks to haul their stuff. They usually check the trunks and carry on their cars and TX. Shipping stuff out ahead of time is a good option too, as long as you have a good secure place to send it.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I think it depends on the airport honestly. You have to carry your lipos onboard the plane, TSA specifically says no lipos can be checked. When I flew with my cars I printed out TSA paperwork stating I could bring said items onboards, and I also packed an RC Car Action or RC Driver in the bag to help explain what the stuff is.

You do not have to pull your batteries out of your TX, nor do you have to have your batteries in your car... The safest way is to carry them in a lipo locker (such as the Trinity Revtech lipo locker).

When I flew with my cars, I went out of a larger airport and had no problems, they hand checked my bags, and swabbed the car for nitro residue (you cannot bring any nitro stuff (fuel, motor, tanks, etc.) on the plane.. those items must be shipped to a race. Had no issues through the larger airport, however on the way back I flew out of a smaller airport and they hassled me quiet a bit holding me up for about 20 minutes until the head of the TSA could come over and help his employee's pull their heads out of their asses. And then I was on my way.

Long story short, check your tools, chargers, tires, spares, and if you want to, your trucks since its less to haul through the airport... and carry on your radio.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Team Tekin

Ship everything, carry your radio and car(s). I usually carry my truggy, put my buggy in a backpack and carry my radio in a case with the LiPos. For 1/10 scale I can fit two buggies in my backpack and carry my truck.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Get you one of these ->

Its $40 @ Grainger near you or they sell something similiar at Walmart for $20. I packed all my parts, batteries, 22, XXX-4, etc. in it and totaled 46 lbs. Carried on my Radio (without batteries in radio case) and 22T (without battery, in backpack) on the plane with me and had no problems...

Traveled to every race I have flown to over the years just like this and didnt have any issues, however, just know that TSA will inspect your box and "unorganize" it for you

just did this for the nats, went from Florida to California with no issues (hence the tags in the picture)

Leon
Old 08-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I've seen a lot of guys zip-tie their latches, for obvious reasons. Tape a couple new zip-ties to the box with a nice note asking that the zip-ties be replaced if they open the box.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
I ship my gear UPS or FedX to be held at a UPS or FedX store near my hotel/campground.

That way the shippers warranty covers loss/theft until I arrive to pick it up. Not sure if UPS/FedX will cover something that's stolen at the hotel. And trying to get a hotel to fess up to such a thing is like squeezing liquor from a stone.
If you figure out how to do that, let me know!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

anyone got any recent experiences with this?

Taking a business trip down to AL and may try that facility in helena.

Nothing serious, just want to pass the time so would be bringing my RC10B4.

Looking to bring the chassis and radio on the plane.

Would check hex drivers, charger, power supply and spare parts / tires.

Thoughts?

I have heard I can bring the lipos in my carry one. would only need 1 battery (7200mah). Should I put that in my liposack or put it in the vehicle?