Wiki Posts
Search

LOSI DISAPOINTMENT

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Angry LOSI DISAPOINTMENT

So this is my very first SC truck, and my first time I actually decided to go do some racing.

I thought I should be very meticulous about my truck setting, as it will help me close a bit the racing gap other drivers will have among me.

so I decided this morning to go ahead, and look over my truck, make sure everything is in working conditions. As I started to dial in my suspension, I found that one of my front shocks was not compressing and decompressing as well as the other one (Using the Losi Matching Tool). I decided to take away the shock boot, as it may be preventing my shock's movement. And the attached pics say what I found...

Needless to say, I have never ran this truck in mud or any kind of gunky situations... Only had the truck for a week, and my shock shaft is rusted and with some gunk on it...

REALLY DISAPPOINTING LOSI!
Attached Thumbnails LOSI DISAPOINTMENT-photo-6-.jpg   LOSI DISAPOINTMENT-photo-2.jpg   LOSI DISAPOINTMENT-photo-5-.jpg  
Old 08-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

in all fairness, maintenance shouldn't be a "once in a while" thing. Although I guess it could happen, it's fair to assume it wasn't like that out of the box. any boots or even cva's covers hold the dirt in just as much as they hold it out. once it's in, it's in and it's you responsibility to remove it. just wipe it off or get new ones.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The gunk you are finding is from a little bit of the oil leaking out of the shock from the seals mixed with some of the rubber from the shock boot and a little grim. It happens especially if the shocks have been sitting. Form the pics, it doesn't look like rust. Sucks still tho
Old 08-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by caguilar4
So this is my very first SC truck, and my first time I actually decided to go do some racing.

I thought I should be very meticulous about my truck setting, as it will help me close a bit the racing gap other drivers will have among me.

so I decided this morning to go ahead, and look over my truck, make sure everything is in working conditions. As I started to dial in my suspension, I found that one of my front shocks was not compressing and decompressing as well as the other one (Using the Losi Matching Tool). I decided to take away the shock boot, as it may be preventing my shock's movement. And the attached pics say what I found...

Needless to say, I have never ran this truck in mud or any kind of gunky situations... Only had the truck for a week, and my shock shaft is rusted and with some gunk on it...

REALLY DISAPPOINTING LOSI!

BAHAHAHA if your going to be complaining about that you might as well just quit racing rc cars!
Old 08-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Cut the boots off completely you don't need them,clean it with some scotch brite and go run .If that's your biggest disappointment and have to start a thread every time your truck needs some cleaning this is going to be a long year for You!!
Old 08-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks for the posts. SOME of them are really constructive. And no I'm not gonna start a thread everytime something goes wrong... I just expected more from a truck that it has only seen my parking lot...
Old 08-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

to be fair losi is not known for there awesome quality as of late now I have seen oil mixed with dirt and it doesn't look like that un less u ran in tar. That looks lil crusty but did you go over the hole truck be for you ran to make sure things where tight lubed and levels check because some times some things are missed on pre built kits
Old 08-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

All shock shafts will rust, as will the hinge pins. Your shock fluid will become dirty and need to be cleaned on an every/every other race occasion.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by caguilar4
Thanks for the posts. SOME of them are really constructive. And no I'm not gonna start a thread everytime something goes wrong... I just expected more from a truck that it has only seen my parking lot...
Any and every rc car will create a buildup right there if you dont clean it of properly. Quit your crying and post in the losi scte thread next time.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

I have to agree with some of the other posts, that tiny bit of crud is nothing. We should cut you some slack since your a newbee and don't know any better, with that said the SCTE and all RC's are going to get dirty, bent, broken and pretty much thrashed upon under normal race conditions and will need a great deal of maintenance. You may have overreacted but that's OK, it's takes a while to figure out what is normal and what is not...I'm sure the guys in the SCTE thread can help.....BB
Old 08-18-2012, 12:32 PM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I've had screws rust up within an hour if I clean the truck and not dry and lubricate it properly. Any moisture trapped inside the rubber boot can cause rust and discoloration if not cleaned after each run. Taking a truck from an air conditioned house out into a hot parking lot and back again can cause condensation. Running through wet grass, tires spraying a bit of moisture, oil or gunk up into the chassis...anything can happen.

These trucks take a lot of abuse and if we want them to remain in top shape at all times, it takes a LOT of work. Its not uncommon to spend 2 or 3 hours a week (or more) on a truck just to race a total of 20 minutes on the week-end. It usually pays off though. Go get new shock shafts and don't worry about it. Might as well upgrade to Ti coated shafts and begin the process of building your truck. It won't be the last parts you buy.

Edit: I was too nice in my first reply. In racing, there are 3 types of racers...1. Those who have fun and are thrilled they raced no matter how they finished. 2. Those who are content with their finish and know they did their best or at least realize their mistakes. Finally, there are those who complain, gripe and make excuses for everything. When racing, you're going to get bumped into and parts are going to break and wear out. In this hobby, stuff happens. At least you didn't smoke a brand new $300 ESC. You have some discoloration on a $3 shock shaft. Buck up, fix it and go on.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Steel will rust when exposed to water or mud. Its absolutely normal. Although my Ve8 and HPI Baja have poor oxide coating on the screws since they started to rust sooner than any of my other cars.

However, just take a Dremel wire brush to it and then coat it in WD40. Should be fine after that. I learned my lesson after driving my 1/8th buggies in the rain/mud. What a pain to clean it.

And there are more worse things that will happen on the SCTE. Weak shocktowers, rear bumper, thin body, soft chassis.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If your talking about the ten-sct thats too bad, to buy a truck and just drop it on a track this truck is the best truck out of the box!! and is also the strongest one. Get your stuff figured out and I'm sure you will change your mind.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

LOL , if THAT is a "disappointment' too you then my advice is to get out of R/C now and take up bird watching or stamp collecting .

Shocks always get dirty as they usually have oil residue on them that attracts dust and dirt , get used to it . If it bothers you then clean it everytime after you get done running .
Old 08-18-2012, 02:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

00 Brillo and some WD 40... toss the boots..... change oil.... run it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.