R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-02-2005, 11:00 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice
Default Can I take apart a RTR?

I was looking up the parts that came with a RC10B4 and found that it is actually more expensive when you buy the parts separately. I WANT AND NEED TO BUILD. I calculated and found that separately it would cost be 270 dollars to buy the kit and all the parts but the RTR is ONLY 200 with 25 dollar discount at tower hobbies.

QUESTION: If RTR's are cheaper than buying those parts on your own, why don't they just give me all those things at the RTR price and have it come UNASSEMBLED? SO I CAN BUILD IT. I mean, doesn't it cost more for labor for someone to build it beforehand?
takwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:05 AM   #2
Tech Legend
Trader Rating: 205 (100%+)

I believe the manual should help you do that for the RTR. A regular Manual for the RC10B4 should work as well.

Did you calculate the RTR equally to buying at the kit level?

Example: The B4 buggy that comes with the RTR isn't the exactly same buggy that comes with the B4 team kit.

To do a price comparison, you should:

1. identify all parts on the RTR that is different that the Team version

2. identify the price that the parts that are different on the RTR and subtract them from the price of the RTR. Then add in the cost of the team version parts.

Not sure how much you are seeing the Team B4 going for, I have seen it for about $150 new.
< Team Associated RC10B6D>
< Durango DESC410V2, DEX410V5>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:17 AM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisP

Believe it or not, Kits actually cost the manufacturer more money than RTR's....

The labour to asemble the RTR is minimal because it is done in a production line, with several people doing small steps quickly and then passing it along.

kits require additional bagging, packaging and inspection...

All of this is in addition to the slight differences used in many RTR components..
Team Tekin
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:13 AM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nrctc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nrctc3

Yes, you can take apart a RTR and rebuild it & change parts.
Nrctc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:56 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

in response to cain,

All I added up in "parts" were the RADIO, ESC, and High torque servo.

You mean, the kit might have other parts like chassis and shocks that are much better?

I'm looking for a decent entry level upgradeable buggy. The RTR while taken apart should have everything I need right?

thANks for EVERYONE"S patience. I am so sorry that I have posted like a thousand threads.
takwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:26 PM   #6
Tech Addict

The electronics that come with the kit arent very good so you will probably be saving money in the long run going with other alternatives. I know for a fact the the servo that comes in the rtr b4 usually only lasts a day or two, the people are usually bad at driving so the car is taking a beating, but the servo is usually the first thing to go. You won't have that problem with a metal geared servo. The motor that comes with the rtr is slow for what it is, I think its like a 17T or something like that, and its probably as fast as a good stock motor. Go to the AE site, I think they have a feature chart that compares the rtr, the team version, and the FT version.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote