Wiki Posts
Search

A few short course questions .

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)
Default A few short course questions .

Hope I posted this in the right thread.I tried the sc forums but got n replys.I am new to bL and esc and sc in general.so sorry for asking so many questions.Im a nitro guy and 2 stroke racer here wanting to buy a 4x4 short course truck.I have a Team associated sc10 I bought with a sidewinder sytem 3800 kv and speed control.what I have read here has helped.I know a FT sc10 is better .maybe ill buy the shocks off ebay.I have not taken any sc trucks to the track.I would rather get it close to my liking.The sc10 was 150.00 with 2 4000 20c 2 cell is that enough for a 6-7 min main?.Is that bl system good enough for a 2 wd /when i bought it it tracked so bad I bought rear calibers?and took the grease out of the diff and installed 5k silocone oil also went with 30 wt shock oil.Should I spend the money for a ball diff ?is the 5k in a gear diff good.I havent taken it to the track (hard packed clay loose when dry) but i can control it now.spur is 87?pinion I think 22/Now a year ago I bought a losi sct.4x4 (I regret selling it ) sold it off to race 5th scale.I installed a rx8 esc and a 4.5 pro 4 .lost my arse on this sale 475.00 ran 3 times .I do not want to spend 300 on a speed control and 140 on a motor can some one suggest a good combo.I would like to buy the losi 4x4 scten or ta sc10 4x4 ft.
hopefully ill find one used.I know I aksed allot of questions can some one chime in on a good bl esc combo for a 4x4 and am i good with the cc 3800 and 1410 speed control on my sc10.and last i also bought vennom and reedy batts .i see hobbyking or hobby parts more and more is it safe to say thses lipos will do???
Thank you for your help.<!--
Old 08-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Tech Regular

Whoo boy, where to start.

I don't have experience with that motor, but from what I've read it has gobs of torque and a few folks have had trouble taming it. Something to consider if you are racing on a dry, slick clay track. A more conventional brushless motor (2 poles) might be better suited, but maybe someone else can chime in on that. I've been happy with my Novak Edge 2S/10.5 Ballistic combo this year. I've heard good things about the HobbyWing stuff, too.

I've been running an RTR SC10 for three years and the only FT parts on it are the rear arm mounts so you can adjust rear toe, bleeder shock caps, and a servo horn. The V1 or V2 shocks are better than the RTR blue ones, but the blue ones work good enough if you build them right (x-rings and plenty of green slime or equivalent).

I run on a rather large but somewhat technical track that is more or less a 1/8 track, 45 second lap times or so for SCTs. I'm running the Intergy 5600 lipos with my Novak 10.5 motor and 22/84 gearing and typically use about 2200-2400 mAh in a 10 minute main with the motor in the 140-155 temperature range at the end of the race. I used to run 3800-4200 packs with brushed motors through the 10 minute main with no problem. If they're in good shape, I would think your 4000 packs should be good for 6-7 minutes for sure. The 20C rating might take away some punch, though, but on a slick track it might not matter as much as it would on a med to high grip track.

If you're used to 4wd nitro, just be sure you have the right tires in good shape for this little truck. That's critical. Setup becomes quite critical, as well, as does throttle control.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

You said you have a 4 pole, 3800 in your 2wd truck. I am using the hobbywing SC8/Short course pro speed control with that exact motor in my sc10 4x4. It works great. In my opinion you may want to look at getting a different motor or motor speed control combo for your 2wd and moving the castle system over to the 4x4.

I use the hobbywing juststock speed control with a 13.5 in my 2wd SC10 and it works excellent. The speed control is only $65 from Team CRC and I believe they have motors for $60 as well, but any 13.5 motor will do.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Try TORO, Dualsky or Hobbywing for cheap deal and pretty decent if you buy the right setup combo. IE: 60A and over esc..

Little more dough, go with castle SV2 @ or MMP and a 4600KV motor..

My buddy has the Hobby Wing 60A and 5.5T turn combo and it absolutely rips in his T4! (it is the recommended setup for racing B4)

I have had bunch of Castle combos. My other buddy runs a TORO motor in his slash with a MMP and WOOHOOO!

Well, you see what I run in my sig below..

Those lipos will work, I am moving to all Gens Ace soon. But the Protechs I have seem to be a quality above a bunch of manufacturers out there..
Old 08-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks you to all.I was really thinking about moving that 3800 into a 4x4.so everyones answers heave really helped.
Thanks again..
Old 08-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rsgonza
Thanks you to all.I was really thinking about moving that 3800 into a 4x4.so everyones answers heave really helped.
Thanks again..
I have that system in my sc10 4x4 and it is plenty quick. if you get one. start at page one of the sc10 4x4 thread here for some set up tips. good truck. little finnicky, but when it is dialed it is pretty competitive.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bschanz
I have that system in my sc10 4x4 and it is plenty quick. if you get one. start at page one of the sc10 4x4 thread here for some set up tips. good truck. little finnicky, but when it is dialed it is pretty competitive.
will do thanks