Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree172Likes

Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 12-21-2016, 08:46 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester
RB6.6 Kyosho America Product Page: http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/ULTIMA-...T_p_24505.html

RB6.6 Manual http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/in...A_RB6_6_IM.pdf

RB6.6 Kyosho Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW_sR667utY

MSRP $639 MAP $399.99

-------------------------------
New RB6.6 parts (compared exploded views, prices and links are Kyosho America):

Chassis:
  1. Main chassis - UM731 - $125.99
  2. Side guards - UM732 - $9.99

Battery Holder:
  1. Battery plate - UM733 - $8.99
  2. Battery foam - UM741 - $7.99

Rear Bulkheads:
  1. MM3 and Laydown - UM740 - $9.99
    • MM3 bulkhead
    • Laydown bulkhead
    • Swaybar Holders

3 Gear Transmission (MM and RM):
  1. Transmission - UM734 - $10.99
    • transmission cases
    • spacers
    • caps
    • plastic FR & RR suspension hangers

2. Gear Cover - UM735 - $6.99

Laydown Transmission (3 and 4 gear possible):
  1. Transmission - UM736 - $10.99
    • transmission cases
    • spacers
    • caps
    • required extra hardware
    • pastic FR suspension hanger

2. 40T idler - UM737 - $6.99
  3. Motor plate - UM738 - $18.99
  4. Gear cover - UM739 - $6.99

Body:
  1. Blade body - UMB05 - $27.99

Optional Parts:
  1. Lightweigt Blade body - UMB05LW - $31.99
  2. Aluminum FR suspension hanger - UMW705B - $28.99 (may be able to file UMW705 to fit)
  3. Brass FR suspension hanger - UMW725B - $30.99 (looks more different than UMW725..someone confirm?)

Typical Upgrades for new RB6.6 Buyers

UMW701 Aluminum Steering Plate (RB6)
UMW702 Aluminum Crank Arm (RB6)
UMW704-0 V2 Aluminum Rear Hub Set(0°/RB6)
UMW705B Aluminum Rear Sus. Holder (RF/RB6.6) or brass UMW725B
UMW707 Aluminum Rear Sus. Holder (RR-Mid)

Nice to have:

UMW723 Aluminum Front Sus Block (Type B/10g/RB6/RT6/SC6).

Aftermarket Parts:

Front Wing: https://www.prolineracing.com/perfor...mount-alum-rb6

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Think schumachers are local too.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mdowney
I was told that the gearbox/diff is the same except for the fact that the wing mounts now mount to the gearbox as well - at least in rear motor. The mid motor option took me by surprise.
I actually guessed the new Ultima buggy would be mid/rear motor interchangable, alum chassis, cab forward. Not surprisingly, it's a bringing together of all the modern successful cars and traits. B4 front tower (or TRF201 front tower!), Losi and Durango chassis and motor layout. What surprised me were the different battery supports built-in. There's also a European flavour to it, a nod to Vega, RudeBits and the LMR wing (the way I see it).

I just got a new Sanwa BRX servo, silly me it won't fit in the RB5, but the extra 2 mm would fit in the RB6. Total cost of ownership-wise, it's already saved me a new servo!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:03 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Damnit, I just bought an RB5 WC edition a few months ago too!!

Oh well, I still think my car will still be competitive at my local track since its a really tight, technical indoor track running 17.5.

Can probably see the RB6 doing quite well on rougher, larger outdoor tracks with some mod power.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

All of Kyosho's race kits are manufactured in Japan - everyone else builds in China
Along with KO this seems to justify the price.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Perhaps the currency exchange, Yen to Dollar, has something to do with the increase in prices we have seen. Back in 2008 it was close to 120+ Yen for 1 Dollar. Now it is floating around 78 Yen per Dollar if I read the chart on xe.com correctly. Although I am no expert on currency and converting so I could be wrong.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (94%+)

The car looks trick as hell and I am definitely considering it as a replacement for my B4.1 Worlds.

I talked with a few guys locally about the car today and they were complaining and discussing the cost, and saying how it would never sell. These are the same guys who buy a new Xray on-road chassis every year because of the newest "optimizations," and don't wink at almost $1000 for the TKI3.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Regarding pricing: this should not surprise anyone. Kyosho's quality is far better than any other kit I've ever built. You get what you pay for. All of Kyosho's race kits are manufactured in Japan - everyone else builds in China. That results in higher production costs but higher quality parts.

Kyosho's race kits are premium kits. Are they worth the added price? That's impossible to answer definitively or without bias. I'll give you my experience: I've run Kyosho stuff for the last two years and I almost never break parts. I can't even remember the last time I broke anything on my RB5. I built a B4.1 WC to try out and see what all the fuss was about (plus I collect 2wd buggies to sit on the shelf). No exaggeration: I broke something on the B4.1 during each of the first three battery packs I ran through it (it drove extremely well, btw). Two front arms, front tower, rear U brace, and a turnbuckle. Now, replacing those parts was a lot cheaper than replacing parts on an RB5 - but I NEVER have to do that. So... YMMV

So it's up to you. There are great reasons to buy a premium quality kit at a premium price, there are great reasons to buy a lower priced kit that still races incredibly well. But don't throw a fit because a kit that has far higher build quality and is manufactured in Japan is more expensive than stuff made in China. Just buy what suits you best.
Well said Mr.Downy! as far as kyosho goes....YOU PAY for what you get!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Regarding pricing: this should not surprise anyone. Kyosho's quality is far better than any other kit I've ever built. You get what you pay for. All of Kyosho's race kits are manufactured in Japan - everyone else builds in China. That results in higher production costs but higher quality parts.

Kyosho's race kits are premium kits. Are they worth the added price? That's impossible to answer definitively or without bias. I'll give you my experience: I've run Kyosho stuff for the last two years and I almost never break parts. I can't even remember the last time I broke anything on my RB5. I built a B4.1 WC to try out and see what all the fuss was about (plus I collect 2wd buggies to sit on the shelf). No exaggeration: I broke something on the B4.1 during each of the first three battery packs I ran through it (it drove extremely well, btw). Two front arms, front tower, rear U brace, and a turnbuckle. Now, replacing those parts was a lot cheaper than replacing parts on an RB5 - but I NEVER have to do that. So... YMMV

So it's up to you. There are great reasons to buy a premium quality kit at a premium price, there are great reasons to buy a lower priced kit that still races incredibly well. But don't throw a fit because a kit that has far higher build quality and is manufactured in Japan is more expensive than stuff made in China. Just buy what suits you best.
from that speech alone im gonna buy one........ ok ok i was gonna buy one anyway but i now feel better about it
Old 07-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

no more t-plate
that's the part i break the most
Old 07-31-2012, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

The car looks beefy...goOd job Kyosho!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

It's simply amazing all the griping about price. Don't buy it. Bam. Go post something useless in the dozen other threads.

Kyosho is always quality. Kyosho is the only cars I've ever bought that had zero missing parts and zero fitment issues. I just bought a 425 dollar DESC410V2 kit that had missing parts and I had to sand the coating off of multiple parts to get fitment correct. But oh well! It happens.

This car steps up the bar for AE and Durango and TLR. I love the changes.

T-Plate gone, and hopefully the axles are different. I broke them also, lol. Several.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I broke more shit on the rb5 than I have since ... my rough rider. But thats a moot point. As for the cost of the car, inconsequential in life, if it's that good then the actual dollar number is pointless. Unfortunately for me from appearances it may not be for me. What I want to know above everything else > HOW AND WHY is this car better than the RB5. The RB5 is a direct descendant of the Ultima RB which ran at the worlds in 1999 so yea it may need replacing.

The RB6 is a completely different beast. I see no reason to think that I'll like it. I'm not much for pandering.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

nice ride asc6000...
Old 07-31-2012, 11:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I'm not too thrilled about it.

No more t-plate=no more traction

Looks like a Kyosho 22, no thanks. Pretty soon you'll all be raising your trannies searching for rear grip. Hopefully I'm wrong but only time will tell.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Man, you guys know so much about RC cars that you can tell how well they will perform just by looking at pictures! That's impressive!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.