Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread >

Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread

Like Tree171Likes

Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 12-21-2016, 08:46 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester
RB6.6 Kyosho America Product Page: http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/ULTIMA-...T_p_24505.html

RB6.6 Manual http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/in...A_RB6_6_IM.pdf

RB6.6 Kyosho Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW_sR667utY

MSRP $639 MAP $399.99

-------------------------------
New RB6.6 parts (compared exploded views, prices and links are Kyosho America):

Chassis:
  1. Main chassis - UM731 - $125.99
  2. Side guards - UM732 - $9.99

Battery Holder:
  1. Battery plate - UM733 - $8.99
  2. Battery foam - UM741 - $7.99

Rear Bulkheads:
  1. MM3 and Laydown - UM740 - $9.99
    • MM3 bulkhead
    • Laydown bulkhead
    • Swaybar Holders

3 Gear Transmission (MM and RM):
  1. Transmission - UM734 - $10.99
    • transmission cases
    • spacers
    • caps
    • plastic FR & RR suspension hangers

2. Gear Cover - UM735 - $6.99

Laydown Transmission (3 and 4 gear possible):
  1. Transmission - UM736 - $10.99
    • transmission cases
    • spacers
    • caps
    • required extra hardware
    • pastic FR suspension hanger

2. 40T idler - UM737 - $6.99
  3. Motor plate - UM738 - $18.99
  4. Gear cover - UM739 - $6.99

Body:
  1. Blade body - UMB05 - $27.99

Optional Parts:
  1. Lightweigt Blade body - UMB05LW - $31.99
  2. Aluminum FR suspension hanger - UMW705B - $28.99 (may be able to file UMW705 to fit)
  3. Brass FR suspension hanger - UMW725B - $30.99 (looks more different than UMW725..someone confirm?)

Typical Upgrades for new RB6.6 Buyers

UMW701 Aluminum Steering Plate (RB6)
UMW702 Aluminum Crank Arm (RB6)
UMW704-0 V2 Aluminum Rear Hub Set(0°/RB6)
UMW705B Aluminum Rear Sus. Holder (RF/RB6.6) or brass UMW725B
UMW707 Aluminum Rear Sus. Holder (RR-Mid)

Nice to have:

UMW723 Aluminum Front Sus Block (Type B/10g/RB6/RT6/SC6).

Aftermarket Parts:

Front Wing: https://www.prolineracing.com/perfor...mount-alum-rb6

Print Wikipost

Old 01-02-2016, 05:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Question in regards to RB6 2015 kit. (Sorry if already been asked before).
I just restarting RC after 2 years stop and thinking re-purchase RB6.

Do the 2015 kit come with Aluminum Steering Plate?
or do I need to purchase separately like the old kit.

The information from website doesn't explain it.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skyworldcity
Question in regards to RB6 2015 kit. (Sorry if already been asked before).
I just restarting RC after 2 years stop and thinking re-purchase RB6.

Do the 2015 kit come with Aluminum Steering Plate?
or do I need to purchase separately like the old kit.

The information from website doesn't explain it.
The aluminum steering is not included in the 2015 kit.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Thanks 1armed1.

I will include one in my cart.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Had a heck of a good time at the chili dump and Trackside raceway in Wisconsin . Finished mid pack in my first ever 17.5 race. I have all the Yaiba aluminum stuff on my car plus the old standard chassis and I think it really weighs the car down. I'm 100 grams over weight. It clearly didn't have the acceleration most others have. My driveline is smooth but haven't put much focus on making it really spin free since I always run mod.

Kiddo won sportsman class out of 18 entries with his RB6.

RB6's are a rare sight at the track lately.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skyworldcity
Thanks 1armed1.

I will include one in my cart.
Arms and inner hinge pins too as backup. Alum hubs are some a thing you want later too.

I've seen the newer plastic steering rack handle a lot better lately. When the kit first shipped, the steering rack was the first to go.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

Originally Posted by 1armed1
The aluminum steering is not included in the 2015 kit.
I'd suggest the Schelle steering rack. It's awesome and gives you another layer of adjustments, not to mention a very high quality piece, with bearings to support.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...hl1042/p300379
Old 01-05-2016, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm considering a low profile servo for my RB6 and I wanted to get the forum opinion:

I'm looking at this:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...l575sl/p450998

or

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...i-3402/p448663

Open to suggestions as well, but looking on the higher end as I am currently using this:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...tm0720/p211998
Old 01-05-2016, 04:52 PM
Tech Regular

considering an RB6 as a first off road race platform. Would this be a suitable kit for an off road beginner? I have built a few on road cars in the past, however, I am hearing the the Kyosho's instruction manual is not very user friendly, however, I have fallen in love with this car...any thoughts? Thank you.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I wouldn't be worried at all about this being your first Offroad build. Just get familiar with the parts and steps before beginning.

Check out the manual here and there are exploded views if you feel overwhelmed.
http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/in...IMA_RB6_IM.pdf
Old 01-05-2016, 05:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by badKarma
considering an RB6 as a first off road race platform. Would this be a suitable kit for an off road beginner? I have built a few on road cars in the past, however, I am hearing the the Kyosho's instruction manual is not very user friendly, however, I have fallen in love with this car...any thoughts? Thank you.
The Kyosho kits are nice, however... Well, I started with TLR 22 SCT then Ten-SCTE, racing both of them. I was looking for a buggy and I got a great deal on an RB6 with a lot of upgrades (all Kyosho aluminum parts) and tons of spares. I am finding that the RB6 is a little more difficult to find a good starting setup compared to my TLR kits. Also, if you look at most of the pro setups, they have gone to a sideways shorty but you have to grind down the chassis and cut the side rails to make that happen.

What I have come to think, and this was confirmed by talking to some fellow racers recently, is that the Kyosho kit requires more skill in setup tuning to get it just right for a track. I have been told by others that have owned RB6 and comparable AE/TLR kits that the RB6 is way more setup sensitive and has a more narrow tuning range that will work for you. The AE B5m and TLR 22 (2.0 and 3.0) are much more forgiving in comparison.

So take that for what it's worth... I just put together a 22 3.0 with kit setup and in two weeks I'll get to compare it with the RB6 I have been working on for a few months. Based on my lap times, I will be keeping one and figuring out what to do with the other!

You'll also want to factor in, if you're racing, whether there are any experienced guys locally running whatever kit you decide on that you can ask for advice. Another factor is parts availability and cost in your area.

I think the RB6 is a great kit, but I don't think it's for everyone.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Not being a RC newbie and having dealt with Tekno for the past couple years who arguably has some of the best instruction manuals in the industry... The Kyosho has a lot to be desired That being said you'll probably be fine. It's not an overly complex kit to build with only a few complications (like ball diff, mid/rear motor, etc).

The setup sheet on the other hand will make your head explode. Not only does it not show what is actually changing on the car (like the amount of rear toe, how do you even calculate antisquat, etc), but it's quite difficult to read. I would suggest if you know another Kyosho driver in your area, to have them explain the different areas of the sheet and what they are directly stating, or what the "blank" is implying you should change
Old 01-05-2016, 05:20 PM
Tech Regular

appreciate that...what are some steering servo and battery suggestions for the RB6? Nothing to break the bank though...
Old 01-05-2016, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

appreciate that...what are some steering servo and battery suggestions for the RB6? Nothing to break the bank though...
I'm irritated at nearly all the servo manufactures, so I'm a bad one to ask there. I'm not impressed with nearly any of them, unless you'd like to spend half the price of the kit on one servo.

On the battery, hard to go wrong here. It is out of stock though, so hit them up for when they're coming in next.
http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=121
Old 01-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Callaway
The Kyosho kits are nice, however... Well, I started with TLR 22 SCT then Ten-SCTE, racing both of them. I was looking for a buggy and I got a great deal on an RB6 with a lot of upgrades (all Kyosho aluminum parts) and tons of spares. I am finding that the RB6 is a little more difficult to find a good starting setup compared to my TLR kits. Also, if you look at most of the pro setups, they have gone to a sideways shorty but you have to grind down the chassis and cut the side rails to make that happen.

What I have come to think, and this was confirmed by talking to some fellow racers recently, is that the Kyosho kit requires more skill in setup tuning to get it just right for a track. I have been told by others that have owned RB6 and comparable AE/TLR kits that the RB6 is way more setup sensitive and has a more narrow tuning range that will work for you. The AE B5m and TLR 22 (2.0 and 3.0) are much more forgiving in comparison.

So take that for what it's worth... I just put together a 22 3.0 with kit setup and in two weeks I'll get to compare it with the RB6 I have been working on for a few months. Based on my lap times, I will be keeping one and figuring out what to do with the other!

You'll also want to factor in, if you're racing, whether there are any experienced guys locally running whatever kit you decide on that you can ask for advice. Another factor is parts availability and cost in your area.

I think the RB6 is a great kit, but I don't think it's for everyone.
great points...this is exactly what I was concerned about...
Old 01-05-2016, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Check out the Hitec 8775MG servo, it is light and strong. I like the Vant and Fantom batteries because they perform well, both sell at a good price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.