R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 12-21-2016, 08:46 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester
RB6.6 Kyosho America Product Page: http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/ULTIMA-...T_p_24505.html

RB6.6 Manual http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/in...A_RB6_6_IM.pdf

RB6.6 Kyosho Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW_sR667utY

MSRP $639 MAP $399.99

-------------------------------
New RB6.6 parts (compared exploded views, prices and links are Kyosho America):

Chassis:
  1. Main chassis - UM731 - $125.99
  2. Side guards - UM732 - $9.99

Battery Holder:
  1. Battery plate - UM733 - $8.99
  2. Battery foam - UM741 - $7.99

Rear Bulkheads:
  1. MM3 and Laydown - UM740 - $9.99
    • MM3 bulkhead
    • Laydown bulkhead
    • Swaybar Holders

3 Gear Transmission (MM and RM):
  1. Transmission - UM734 - $10.99
    • transmission cases
    • spacers
    • caps
    • plastic FR & RR suspension hangers

2. Gear Cover - UM735 - $6.99

Laydown Transmission (3 and 4 gear possible):
  1. Transmission - UM736 - $10.99
    • transmission cases
    • spacers
    • caps
    • required extra hardware
    • pastic FR suspension hanger

2. 40T idler - UM737 - $6.99
  3. Motor plate - UM738 - $18.99
  4. Gear cover - UM739 - $6.99

Body:
  1. Blade body - UMB05 - $27.99

Optional Parts:
  1. Lightweigt Blade body - UMB05LW - $31.99
  2. Aluminum FR suspension hanger - UMW705B - $28.99 (may be able to file UMW705 to fit)
  3. Brass FR suspension hanger - UMW725B - $30.99 (looks more different than UMW725..someone confirm?)

Typical Upgrades for new RB6.6 Buyers

UMW701 Aluminum Steering Plate (RB6)
UMW702 Aluminum Crank Arm (RB6)
UMW704-0 V2 Aluminum Rear Hub Set(0/RB6)
UMW705B Aluminum Rear Sus. Holder (RF/RB6.6) or brass UMW725B
UMW707 Aluminum Rear Sus. Holder (RR-Mid)

Nice to have:

UMW723 Aluminum Front Sus Block (Type B/10g/RB6/RT6/SC6).

Aftermarket Parts:

Front Wing: https://www.prolineracing.com/perfor...mount-alum-rb6

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 05-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #10351
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast. View Post
Any recommendations for a wing.
I was thinking of the Losi 7" precut

http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...wnforce-Wing-2
I been using the Jconcepts Wings JCO0132. They work well and seem to hold up to some abuse.
ecpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #10352
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Jaz406

Just got an rb6 used. what are the latest and greatest upgrades or needed items for the rear motor version?

1) alum. steering parts
Jaz406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #10353
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz406 View Post
Just got an rb6 used. what are the latest and greatest upgrades or needed items for the rear motor version?

1) alum. steering parts
just spares to keep..f/r arms,plastic ball ends,front tower,idler gear..There are far less parts to keep on hand compared to the rb5
avid rear axles are the best must have..I think they corrected the steering parts..I have the aluminum slider but the plastic bell cranks
hairymuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #10354
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quick question on the rear arms(gullwing) I noticed on the set up sheets that they show 3 hole locations? I looked on the arms and one side has two holes while the other side has one hole which looks to be in between the two holes on the other side. Can the rear arms be switched to utilize this option? Sorry for the rookie question, still trying to lead the car, way more tunable compared to my old B4.2. Thanks.
CaseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:51 AM   #10355
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyD View Post
Quick question on the rear arms(gullwing) I noticed on the set up sheets that they show 3 hole locations? I looked on the arms and one side has two holes while the other side has one hole which looks to be in between the two holes on the other side. Can the rear arms be switched to utilize this option? Sorry for the rookie question, still trying to lead the car, way more tunable compared to my old B4.2. Thanks.
Yes, the single hole side is the middle option. You flip the arms (left to right) to use that option.
Jason.Dias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:27 AM   #10356
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.Dias View Post
Yes, the single hole side is the middle option. You flip the arms (left to right) to use that option.
Thanks. I was looking up every Kyosho rear arm on the hobby store sites trying to find the one with 3 holes.
CaseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #10357
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

What's the part number for kyosho blank pistons
Edit found it w5303-08
Old 05-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #10358
Tech Adept

Not sure if already mentioned in this thread but I've been weighing parts as I've been building the kit and also swapping out for upgrade parts and have found that the weight savings are often not quite as advertised. The Kyosho LW body for example is 23g vs 31g for the standard one, however Kyosho advertises a 14g saving. The MIP pucks system provides large weight savings but not 50% of the total stock parts due to the axles being approx the same (need to check my notes). Was going to get a LW chassis but now doubting it will save the advertised 24g. Can anyone confirm this?

The stock wheels are 5-6g a pair heavier than Aka hexlite. Aluminium front axles will also save you 5g over the stock 10g units (pair) .
Zylux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #10359
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Jaz406

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairymuffin View Post
just spares to keep..f/r arms,plastic ball ends,front tower,idler gear..There are far less parts to keep on hand compared to the rb5
avid rear axles are the best must have..I think they corrected the steering parts..I have the aluminum slider but the plastic bell cranks
Do the avid axles let you run aka hex wheels or even b5 rears (gasp)

the Kyosho axles are too short not enough threads for my liking.
Jaz406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #10360
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zylux View Post
Not sure if already mentioned in this thread but I've been weighing parts as I've been building the kit and also swapping out for upgrade parts and have found that the weight savings are often not quite as advertised. The Kyosho LW body for example is 23g vs 31g for the standard one, however Kyosho advertises a 14g saving. The MIP pucks system provides large weight savings but not 50% of the total stock parts due to the axles being approx the same (need to check my notes). Was going to get a LW chassis but now doubting it will save the advertised 24g. Can anyone confirm this?

The stock wheels are 5-6g a pair heavier than Aka hexlite. Aluminium front axles will also save you 5g over the stock 10g units (pair) .
The body is 10 grams lighter for me (you might have an elaborate paint on yours, mines with paper thin tamiya white spray). The chassis is the advertised weight savings ~25.

Also its superior putting power down to the ground compared to the stocker due to the flex and milling. Almost drives like a plastic tub (have the yok and b5 to compare to ). The biggest saving would be the 3500 shorty packs which are 150 grams (50-60 grams compared to shorty).
Old 05-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #10361
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloksatoor View Post
The body is 10 grams lighter for me (you might have an elaborate paint on yours, mines with paper thin tamiya white spray). The chassis is the advertised weight savings ~25.

Also its superior putting power down to the ground compared to the stocker due to the flex and milling. Almost drives like a plastic tub (have the yok and b5 to compare to ). The biggest saving would be the 3500 shorty packs which are 150 grams (50-60 grams compared to shorty).
The 8g difference was without paint on either. I found that the three colour scheme I posted in the last page including stickers only added 2g of weight to the body.

Good to hear about the LW Chassis, thanks.

I'm running SMC shorties at 219g and am at 1505g at the moment. With LW chassis I'll already be below the limit. I'm focussing on reducing unsprung mass and getting the bias as far back as possible in mid motor.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #10362
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
The 8g difference was without paint on either. I found that the three colour scheme I posted in the last page including stickers only added 2g of weight to the body.

Good to hear about the LW Chassis, thanks.

I'm running SMC shorties at 219g and am at 1505g at the moment. With LW chassis I'll already be below the limit. I'm focussing on reducing unsprung mass and getting the bias as far back as possible in mid motor.
aah weird, maybe theres quality issues between the LW bodies? since your probably in a warmer clime, you can run with carbon arms/hubs/spindles front and rear to shave unsprung weight.

I heard the aka evo run around 40 gram less per set of 4 so thats another option. Ill get my evo tires and update after weighing.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:37 AM   #10363
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz406 View Post
Do the avid axles let you run aka hex wheels or even b5 rears (gasp)

the Kyosho axles are too short not enough threads for my liking.
heres my rb6 set up and tips...cars dialed....uses avid axles

http://youtu.be/--e9YAjs8zc

Check out my "YouTube" channel
www.youtube.com/shortcourseworld
Jason Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:54 AM   #10364
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloksatoor View Post
aah weird, maybe theres quality issues between the LW bodies? since your probably in a warmer clime, you can run with carbon arms/hubs/spindles front and rear to shave unsprung weight.

I heard the aka evo run around 40 gram less per set of 4 so thats another option. Ill get my evo tires and update after weighing.
Yeah I've got the arms/hubs/spindles on order so we'll see. I also got some JConcepts low profile serrated wheel nuts because the stock axles at the rear were too short for AKA Hexlite wheels (before I fitted the MIP Pucks system and realised it came with longer axles). The upside is that these weigh only 0.9g for the set vs 5.4g for the stock Kyosho nuts.

I'm not sure about the EVO wheels / Tyres. Maybe it's just the EVO Typos? I have the AKA EVO Pinstripe Fronts, EVO Impact Rears and EVO Deja Vu Rears and none of these save anywhere near 10g per wheel over the Regular AKA wheels/tyres or even Kyosho wheels. Here is what I've found;

Kyosho Rear Wheels: 18.5g each
AKA Hexlite Rear Wheels: 17g each
Kyosho Front Wheels: 12g each
AKA Hexlite Front Wheels: 11g each
AKA EVO Front Wheel: 14.2g each

AKA EVO Pinstripe front tyre including wheel & AKA red foam : 44.2g each
AKA Rebar Front tyre, Hexlite wheel and red foam: 45.4g
AKA 3 Rib front tyre, Kyosho wheel & red foam: 46.2g

AKA EVO Impact Rear tyre, EVO wheel & foam: 68.4g
AKA EVO Deja Vu tyre, Evo wheel & foam: 63.3g
AKA Impact (non EVO), Kyosho wheel, AKA foam: 68.5g

So up to 5.2g per rear and 2g per front for me between the EVO and non-EVO wheels/tyres. I guess it depends on what you compare them to though. Certainly not 10g each from where I'm standing.

Also, just swapped steering servo from a temporary Hitec 5645mg (too slow) to a Protek 130SS and put on 9.2g. Didn't realise the hitec was only 55g and the Protek is 64.2! That will hurt the CoG a little.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #10365
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah I've got the arms/hubs/spindles on order so we'll see. I also got some JConcepts low profile serrated wheel nuts because the stock axles at the rear were too short for AKA Hexlite wheels (before I fitted the MIP Pucks system and realised it came with longer axles). The upside is that these weigh only 0.9g for the set vs 5.4g for the stock Kyosho nuts.

I'm not sure about the EVO wheels / Tyres. Maybe it's just the EVO Typos? I have the AKA EVO Pinstripe Fronts, EVO Impact Rears and EVO Deja Vu Rears and none of these save anywhere near 10g per wheel over the Regular AKA wheels/tyres or even Kyosho wheels. Here is what I've found;

Kyosho Rear Wheels: 18.5g each
AKA Hexlite Rear Wheels: 17g each
Kyosho Front Wheels: 12g each
AKA Hexlite Front Wheels: 11g each
AKA EVO Front Wheel: 14.2g each

AKA EVO Pinstripe front tyre including wheel & AKA red foam : 44.2g each
AKA Rebar Front tyre, Hexlite wheel and red foam: 45.4g
AKA 3 Rib front tyre, Kyosho wheel & red foam: 46.2g

AKA EVO Impact Rear tyre, EVO wheel & foam: 68.4g
AKA EVO Deja Vu tyre, Evo wheel & foam: 63.3g
AKA Impact (non EVO), Kyosho wheel, AKA foam: 68.5g

So up to 5.2g per rear and 2g per front for me between the EVO and non-EVO wheels/tyres. I guess it depends on what you compare them to though. Certainly not 10g each from where I'm standing.

Also, just swapped steering servo from a temporary Hitec 5645mg (too slow) to a Protek 130SS and put on 9.2g. Didn't realise the hitec was only 55g and the Protek is 64.2! That will hurt the CoG a little.
I am running a mid motor car with the LW chassis, carbon shock towers and arms, Ti screws, Ti turn buckels, Ti hinge pins, Ti ball studs, Ti front axles, MIP puck sustem, exotek batt hold down, full size servo, trinity shorty batt, Tekin rs gen2, de wheels, panther tires, j-concepts body. My car is under min weight by about 15g.

www.facebook.com/DoakWorksDesign
D-W-D@comcast.net
1967rs is offline   Reply With Quote