Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree172Likes

Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 12-21-2016, 08:46 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester
RB6.6 Kyosho America Product Page: http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/ULTIMA-...T_p_24505.html

RB6.6 Manual http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/in...A_RB6_6_IM.pdf

RB6.6 Kyosho Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW_sR667utY

MSRP $639 MAP $399.99

-------------------------------
New RB6.6 parts (compared exploded views, prices and links are Kyosho America):

Chassis:
  1. Main chassis - UM731 - $125.99
  2. Side guards - UM732 - $9.99

Battery Holder:
  1. Battery plate - UM733 - $8.99
  2. Battery foam - UM741 - $7.99

Rear Bulkheads:
  1. MM3 and Laydown - UM740 - $9.99
    • MM3 bulkhead
    • Laydown bulkhead
    • Swaybar Holders

3 Gear Transmission (MM and RM):
  1. Transmission - UM734 - $10.99
    • transmission cases
    • spacers
    • caps
    • plastic FR & RR suspension hangers

2. Gear Cover - UM735 - $6.99

Laydown Transmission (3 and 4 gear possible):
  1. Transmission - UM736 - $10.99
    • transmission cases
    • spacers
    • caps
    • required extra hardware
    • pastic FR suspension hanger

2. 40T idler - UM737 - $6.99
  3. Motor plate - UM738 - $18.99
  4. Gear cover - UM739 - $6.99

Body:
  1. Blade body - UMB05 - $27.99

Optional Parts:
  1. Lightweigt Blade body - UMB05LW - $31.99
  2. Aluminum FR suspension hanger - UMW705B - $28.99 (may be able to file UMW705 to fit)
  3. Brass FR suspension hanger - UMW725B - $30.99 (looks more different than UMW725..someone confirm?)

Typical Upgrades for new RB6.6 Buyers

UMW701 Aluminum Steering Plate (RB6)
UMW702 Aluminum Crank Arm (RB6)
UMW704-0 V2 Aluminum Rear Hub Set(0°/RB6)
UMW705B Aluminum Rear Sus. Holder (RF/RB6.6) or brass UMW725B
UMW707 Aluminum Rear Sus. Holder (RR-Mid)

Nice to have:

UMW723 Aluminum Front Sus Block (Type B/10g/RB6/RT6/SC6).

Aftermarket Parts:

Front Wing: https://www.prolineracing.com/perfor...mount-alum-rb6

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Agreed but a new guy won't tell the difference between Kyosho and TeamC. Why spend $300 on a RB5 even when $100 can get you a competitive 2wd?

The debate here is between RB5 and RB6. If we are to encourage the novice to 2wd, there's a lot of grief to be saved from maintaining/ordering a new extended chassis, unorthodox electronics and battery arrangements, cutting out the only body that fits - Proline bulldog (the new stock body can be binned immediately) along imaginary lines. Great if you're into modelling but not if you wanna race and be anywhere self-sustainable without any instructions other than scouring 600 pages of RCTech, petitrc, for bits and bobs here and there, or having going back to the seller or lhs repair dept.

Out of the box RB5 / SP / SP2 / WC needs a lot of work. Unless you're prepared to run box stock.

If the new guys thinks the RB6 is the all-conquering super buggy obviously that's another issue entirely that has nothing related to RC!

Cheers,
Old 08-17-2012, 04:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Hey guy thanks for the input. My closest buggy track is about an hour away. my bro and I are possibly going to start our own track. I'd love to jump on the RB6 wagon. But I think I'll pick up a RB5 to learn on and get a lot of practice with. Good point to wait and get a RB6 when you guys get it sorted out. The RB5 is already sorted out and I wouldn't be discouraged about not getting the RB6 dialed in.
Again Thank You for all of your help and info.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cul8tr
Hey guy thanks for the input...
One thing to keep in mind is that the RB6 has a longer wheelbase than the RB5 so it should be more stable. However, don't let that scare you off.

Just keep in mind that when buying used make sure you ask questions such as how old is it, how many times they have run it, do the shocks leak, is there any additional parts/tires that come with it, how much slop does it have in the arms and hubs/knuckles. Things like that because pictures can look pretty but as soon as you get your hands on it you may have just purchased a lemon.

Good luck and have fun with the car. If you have any questions feel free to ask away.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kraig
One thing to keep in mind is that the RB6 has a longer wheelbase than the RB5 so it should be more stable. However, don't let that scare you off.

Just keep in mind that when buying used make sure you ask questions such as how old is it, how many times they have run it, do the shocks leak, is there any additional parts/tires that come with it, how much slop does it have in the arms and hubs/knuckles. Things like that because pictures can look pretty but as soon as you get your hands on it you may have just purchased a lemon.

Good luck and have fun with the car. If you have any questions feel free to ask away.
+1
Old 08-17-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Id like to offer another perspective. Why not start with the best? If you can afford it, by all means learn to drive the buggy you are going to eventually buy anyway.

Reminds me of mountain biking. The guy that never rides borrows a friends "old" bike thats heavier, performs worse, and generally limits the rider compared to the experienced rider with the latest equipment. By default you are limiting yourself. My point has been proven over and over. I let my buddy borrow my state of the art bike and he is amazed. Not only is he faster but the bike is easier to ride.

I think the pros could lap most of us with a RTR, but they choose the latest and greatest to make them a better driver. I remember an article in one of the mags. They compared Maifield's sc truck to an rtr. They timed his laps, made improvements one thing at a time. His sc truck was faster. So i interpret that to mean if improvements can help a pro, it will definitely help a novice.

Besides i think the cost is the least of my worries. Almost all novices i know upgrade parts to be more like the pros or the fast guys. The money will be spent one way or another.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

You dont learn to race in a F1 car, you would never get the tires or brakes hot enough to appreciate its power. Back to your mtn biking experience, when I was young and in good shape I rode a heavy crapper Haro non suspension bike and passed up many people on fancier bikes. Now I could ride an S-Works and probably still wouldn't pass anybody. With the RB5 its all dialed in, so he would just need to learn how to race. As opposed to learning to race and tune. Also replacing parts on an RB5 is good experience on how it works.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by toast.
You dont learn to race in a F1 car, you would never get the tires or brakes hot enough to appreciate its power. Back to your mtn biking experience, when I was young and in good shape I rode a heavy crapper Haro non suspension bike and passed up many people on fancier bikes. Now I could ride an S-Works and probably still wouldn't pass anybody. With the RB5 its all dialed in, so he would just need to learn how to race. As opposed to learning to race and tune. Also replacing parts on an RB5 is good experience on how it works.
I agree with your perspective, but most of the rc guys i race with couldnt get on a mountain bike, much less fit in an F1 car. Myself included. Lol
Old 08-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

In no way shape or form is the rb5 obsolete just because a rb6 is being released, its still a very fast and competitive buggy, we arent comparing something new vs something 20 years old
Old 08-17-2012, 10:44 AM
pli
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by toast.
You dont learn to race in a F1 car, you would never get the tires or brakes hot enough to appreciate its power. [...] With the RB5 its all dialed in, so he would just need to learn how to race.
Sorry, but your F1 analogy doesn't hold. What you are saying is that a novice shouldn't learn how to race in a brand new F1 car (i.e. RB6) because he wouldn't appreciate its power. Instead he should go with last years F1 car (i.e. RB5), because it's dailed in, which for some reason, he will suddenly appreciate. If you instead of RB5 had suggested to go with a cheap RTR, then at least the logic would be sound
Old 08-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by savageboy69
In no way shape or form is the rb5 obsolete just because a rb6 is being released, its still a very fast and competitive buggy, we arent comparing something new vs something 20 years old
I think this is the whole point. If you're looking at buying a Kyosho buggy, it's a win win. The RB5 has development years behind it, setups, etc. The RB6 has a few more refinements but will require a little time to find out what works. The choice comes down to personal preference. Either way you'll win.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think the point is: either car will be perfectly viable in time. The RB5 is sorted out, but it does take A LOT of work for a novice to get it going at a competitive level, and that could be a major deterrent. To be honest, if you are going to run the thing box stock, or don't want to spend much time with set up or maintenance, go buy a brand new B4.1 WC for less than a used RB5, build it, and forget about set up. I am not sure of local Kyosho support in North Carolina, where the OP is from, but if I had to guess; it is minimal. This could be another issue, especially if the closest buggy track is an hour away, unless of course you receive a bunch of parts with your purchase. I will tell you, as a novice driving a 2whl buggy, you are going to break....and if you don't have parts support, this will be a huge problem. Not to mention, you never really know what you are going to get when you purchase a used car. I personally do not recommend it. I guess I would say either spend the extra on the rb6 if you are liking the Kyosho products, if not I would get an associated car until you feel the rb6 has been "sorted out".
Old 08-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Mtn. biking I love it. I switched to 29ers and gave up the heavy free ride bikes.

I am currently racing in the SC class but it's getting old I think.

Kyosho's are few in my area but they realize that you have them at the end of the day. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parts support; I know what you mean. No support here. If I break something I'll order 2 of those parts to have 1 on hand. I usually order from Active Powersports. They have pretty good prices.

I think that the buggy handles a lot better then the SC truck. Making driving easier, not that I can't drive.

All of you guys have good points and advice on here. I really appreciate all of it. Thank you
Old 08-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I think you guys are all over-thinking the RB5 vs RB6 for noobs thing. First, the F1 analogy is completely flawed. A more accurate analogy would be a new F1 driver choosing between last year's F1 car and this year's F1 car.

It's simple: if you can afford it, get the RB6. Build the kit. If you've never built a 2wd buggy I highly recommend it. Not only will you understand your car better, but you will be assured that it's put together properly (assuming you can follow directions). If you're looking to save money, shop around for a used RB5 or even watch for a deal on a new RB5 kit. But the RB6 is an evolution of the RB5 that *should* be a better all-around car. That's the point: it's made by the same company that is looking at the old car and saying, "What can we make better?" Of course, they could fail at that endeavor but I doubt that, and Tebo has already made it clear that the thinks the car is *easier* to drive.

So I think it's more of a budget question. Personally, if you can afford it, I think you should buy the new kit and get the experience of building it. Don't worry about setup support - there will be PLENTY of it by the time the buggy ships.

Also - if you are very budget conscious and new to 2wd buggies, Kyosho may not be your smartest choice - especially if they're not common at your local track. Kyosho has the best parts quality, by far, and will break less often, but when you're just getting started it's often smarter to just pick up a B4.1 and get used to replacing their cheap parts. It will be cheaper and easier for you over time. Once you get better you can invest in a premium kit.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Tech Addict

Certainly looking forward to seeing it in the UK, question is are there updates for the 4WD as normally there has been a reasonable cross of parts.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gelshocker
Out of the box RB5 / SP / SP2 / WC needs a lot of work.
not true, same for most top level cars. Even puds like me can build a car out of the box at a big race and finish 2nd to Kinwald. I can also change so much stuff I get my car so out of tune I can barely run mid pack locally sometimes. Done both.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.