R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-01-2005, 08:19 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice
Default stadium vs. buggy

Are electric stadium trucks slower than buggies if they have same stock motor? I figured that stadium would be slower cuz they're bigger and buggies would be faster.
takwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:05 PM   #2
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Trucks are slow, don't turn well, and don't jump well. They have bigger wheels though so they go over bumps and rough terrain better. Peronally, I don't understand why trucks are so popular
HVAC25000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:09 AM   #3
Tech Legend
Trader Rating: 205 (100%+)

I have to disagree. I have seen stadium trucks jump and turn as well relative to there size as the buggies. They also appear to be more stable in turns due to there width. They are slower which is true as they are heavier.

For a beginner, I would recommend a stadium truck as the are usable in varying degrees, from bashing to racing. Also, if you have a track that runs 1/8 scales alot and is rutted pretty bad, the trucks handle this better than the buggies.

If you plan to race, see what class is the biggest at your track on a regular basis and start off in that one. If its a toss up, I believe buggies are more of a challenge and I would go that route.

Stock truck can be a snooze fest if the track is decent size. 19 turn in truck and buggy is very fast and fun.
< Durango DEX8, DESC410V2, DEX410V5>
< Team Associated RC10B6D>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:43 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Cain is right, buggies are faster than a truck due to size and weight, but the trucks are just as good if not better than a buggy, they jump better than a buggy because buggies need to hit a jump pretty much straight or they wont land as easily as a truck. But if you want become a better racer, the buggy will make you become one. Both most of all, your sure t have fun with either one or both.
Raceway Hobbies
Hot Bodies
the dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 04:03 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Buggies are faster than trucks, they are also more of a job to drive due to handling characteristics. Cain hit the nail on the head; find out what is the more popular class at your local track and then find out what brands are more prevelant. If your just getting your feet wet to racing I'd recommend a truck also; they are just more forgiving than a buggy. Just my opinion. That being said this season I'm racing one of each just to get more practice in a race setting. Good luck to you!!

Cain: After reading your posts about the Academy SB, I've decided to race my current buggy this season and go with the SB for the winter season!!
Don Froyd
Froyd Motorsports
Racing For Fun!!!
DFroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:22 AM   #6
Tech Legend
Trader Rating: 205 (100%+)

As a side note if you are dollar concious, truck tires cost alittle more than buggy ones. Shouldn't matter to most but I have known a couple of guys go the buggy route because of this reason.
< Durango DEX8, DESC410V2, DEX410V5>
< Team Associated RC10B6D>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote