Wiki Posts
Search

Looking at SC trucks

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 03:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Looking at SC trucks

So I keep looking at Short Course trucks, and I think it's an itch I want to scratch. The trouble is there so much choice I don't know what to get. From what I see the choices in 2wd 1/10 that I can pick up locally are:

TA SC10
Traxxas Slash
HPI Blitz
Losi XXX-SCT (only becuase a LHS has one for the same price as the rest)
ECX Torment

They all come in at the $250 range with the Traxxas getting up to $360 for the VXL. Then there's the choices for 4x4 and we go up a level. I'm not sure which would be better 2wd or 4WD. Ideally it'd be a basher with me looking at starting to get into the race scene, at least casually. I don't have a ton of free time but am already enjoying the couple hours a week Iget w my Savage.

I've looked through the threads and the most common for racing are the Slash and SC10 with Blitz'es and Los's also being mentioned. I have a Savage X, and am new to the whole hobby so I do like the HPI, but the $169 for the ECX Torment makes it very appealing.

So I'm wondering what the general consensus would be on what to get, or if I should really be looking at 4WD.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Well I'm not expert but I can narrow it down to 3 cars for ya...

Sc10
Losi XXX-SCT
22SCT

The perks and tricks to each one I can't remember exactly. But I personally would go for a sc10 for 22SCT. TBH if you are racing stay away from Traxxas.

But if you aren't racing I would look at a Slash or Blitz.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the quick response. Here's what one of the local racing circuit rules look like:

1/10 scale 2wd Truck:
Popular Trucks include:
Team Associated RC10T4
Losi XXX-T CR
Traxxas Rustler
HPI E Firestorm 10T
Duratrax Evader EXT

13.5 brushless or 19 turn bushed motor limit. Limited to 6 cell NIMH or NICD battery, or 2 cell lipo. No capacity limit. Must run legal size tires. All hop ups allowed.

1/10 Open:
Popular Cars include:
Any 1/10 scale electric truck or car, 2wd or 4wd.

No motor limit. Limited to 6 cell NIMH or NICD battery, or 2 cell lipo. No capacity limit. Must run legal size tires. All hop ups allowed.

1/10 Stock Spec 2wd CORR Truck:
Popular Trucks Include:
Traxxas Slash
Associated SC10
Losi Strike
HPI BLitz

We are opening this class up a bit, but want to keep in the spirit of close stock racing.

Body: All trucks must use a CORR Truck stock or aftermarket body with the wheelc covered when looking from above.

Chassis: No modifications may be made to the chassis system.

Suspension: Both the front & the rear suspension systems must remain in stock form. Original or aftermarket parts allowed.

Steering: No modifications may be made to the steering system. Original Kit or aftermarket parts allowed. You may install any servo saver or servo drive-horn that you so choose.

Bearings: Any manufacturer Bearing may be used.

Electronics: Original RTR Kit electronics Speed Control (Traxxas XL-5, Associated XP SC200, Losi Stock, and HPI SC-15) or non boosted/advanced timing speed control. You may install any Receiver or servo you so choose. On board traction/drift device or Gyro’s NOT permitted.

Motor: This class is restricted to a stock RTR Motors (Traxxas Titan 12T, Associated 17T, Losi 12T, HPI Firebolt 15T) or 17.5 brushless motors.

Battery: This class is limited to any 1 - 7 cell ” Nicd” , “Nimh” made up of “SubC” size cells or 2 cell LIPO any capacity.

Wheels: Original RTR Wheels or after market wheels.

Tires: Any Stock CORR Truck tires allowed, but no 1/8 scale conversion wheels/tires.

Drive line: Only the original OEM Drive Train or aftermarket or Hopup replacement drive components may be installed. Any pinion gear that mounts without modifications needed may be used.

Weight: Who Cares.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

if you cant wait get the SC10 FT if you have patience then maybe wait for the TLR 22SCT

those are the two I would consider. I own the SC10 FT and have the 22SCT on back order myself.

I got the SC10 FT as a kit to learn on and will eventually go 4wd. I think 4wd is much more popular where I am so I would check that out at the local tracks before buying anything.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I myself have a Blitz and its the most durable truck I ever had. I race it at least twice a month and I have yet to break anything on it. I run in the mod class and I have a 10T motor. I had Losi, Associated I just got tired of running the same truck as the others (be one of the collectives) so I got a Blitz and I can't say anything bad about the truck, It has tons of hop ups its not too expensive and like I said very durable, it handles great easy to work on (changing motors, shocks) . Oh yeah and I win most of the times if I don't get knocked out by some slower drivers.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cool, that's kind of my thoughts is that from whant I understand talking to the guys at the LHS, most people have Slashes, or SC10's here. So having something different would be nice. And the more I think on it the more I realize the reality is I'll have it to bash around and I'd like to have the potential to race with it if I have time. So I'm leaning towards the Blitz or Slash, but I gotta say the Torment is tempting with it's price tag of almost $100 cheaper than the rest.

And if I ever get around to it I can upgrade it to race with, but I like the other 2 a little more. So my debate I think is between those three for now.

And then there's the 2WD or 4WD. I'm thinking 2WD is more common and I've already got my Savage as the 4wd basher. And I still want a drifter. Aargh, damn addictions.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:24 AM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Stay away from the torment. Dont let the price tag suck you in. In the end you will be happier with a Blitz, sc10, 22sct, or XXX-SCT. I suggest you get whatever parts your LHS carries. With the exception of the 22sct, the other trucks are almost copy cats of each other. The local tracks I run at are littered with SC10's and XXX-SCT's with a handful of Blitz's for the guys that dare to be different.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

It seems your track runs a box stock class. My vote would be to pick up a xxx-sct, there prices have to befalling with the 22sct out now.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

kyosho ultima scr or the sc rtr
Old 07-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well, I've checked around with what's in stock locally. One shop has the XXX-SCT for 249, and the Torment for $169., They also have the Blitz at $249 (Canadian prices), and an old 5805 Slash for $209. I am heading to the big shop on the north end of the City to see what they have in stock as the web site is pretty out of date. Most f the shops online catalogues are pretty out of sort.

What I may have to do is just shove aside a couple bucks and then pick one up in a few weeks.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

The 22sct will be out of his price range. Stay away from the 4x4, it will be more of a cost than you want.

I would get the sc10 or the xxxSct. Both are capable racing trucks and are fine for bashing. Both come in RtR versions also.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well I came home with a Team Losi XXX-SCT RTR truck. One of the shops had one for 209.99 only $40 more than the Torment. Sadly I got home to find that I need and EC3 to Tamiya plug cable converter for my batteries, so I am staring at it anxiously awaiting tomorrow morning when I can race over to the other shop and grab a cable. I popped by the place I bought it but they didn't have any and I didn't want to rewire it.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Breten
Well I came home with a Team Losi XXX-SCT RTR truck. One of the shops had one for 209.99 only $40 more than the Torment. Sadly I got home to find that I need and EC3 to Tamiya plug cable converter for my batteries, so I am staring at it anxiously awaiting tomorrow morning when I can race over to the other shop and grab a cable. I popped by the place I bought it but they didn't have any and I didn't want to rewire it.
Don't run a converter cable so that you have connector to connector to connector.
You want the least amount of joints from battery to speed control.
Also if you are talking about the old school tamiya connectors from 20 years ago you need to consult your hobby shop for different connectors because those will not last long with the power that these trucks pull.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Now would be a good time to change over to Dean's plugs, or something similar.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

ditch the cheap battery connector and put a ec3 on it, you will be fine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.