R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-27-2005, 11:04 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice
Default what to do!?

i'm thinking of getting an electric stadium truck or buggy

1)How fast do these things go!? I hope that they won't go slow, i'm looking for at least 30 mph

Traxxas rustler (This is RTR for $116) while with ESC $160

Associated RC10B4 SE RTR $220
Associated RC10B4 Stealth Team Buggy Kit 164.99

Associated RC10T4 Team Truck Kit $175
Associated RC10T4 Special Edition RTR $225

Tamiya kits $99

I really want to BUILD MY OWN, BUT the RTR's are so much cheaper cuz if i bought the transmitter ans ESC and everything, that'll be like $ 150 more while the RTR's are only around $60 more for all of it. I don't want to go over $200

2)!Why are the RTR actually cheaper than buying ur own ESC and radio, are they inferior?

But if I just want a RTR, then is the team associated really worth more than the Traxxas rustler.

3) Why is the Traxxas Rustler so cheap!? Is it worth it!?

Please help me decide!!! thanks!

Last edited by takwing; 02-27-2005 at 11:15 PM.
takwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:30 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

1. Most of those are gonna run about 20-25 mph. For the Rustler/Bandit, I highly recommend you getting the one with the ESC. The $116 one has a mechanical speed control, and they are a pain.

2. RTRs are usually the tune-down version of the same car that is sold as a kit (i.e. Inferno MP7.5, XXX-S). The parts are usually plastic/composite instead of graphite or aluminum, and most of the time the radio package that comes with them is crap.

3. If you are a beginner, the Rustler is great to start out with. It is very durable, cheap, and parts are easy to find. They can be quick if you put a low-turn motor or even a brushless setup on there, just like any other car. The problem with the Rustler is that the chassis is outdated, and it isn't as tuneable as other trucks like the T4.
HPI Savage Flux HP | Tamiya TB-03
Thai3g_Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:38 AM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nrctc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nrctc3

The Rustler is a great truck for any beginner, I would not recomend it for racing though. So if you're just looking to have some fun with your buddies then the Rustler should be fine. You can always buy hop-up parts & motors to make it faster.
Nrctc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:26 PM   #4
Tech Legend
Trader Rating: 205 (100%+)

I would probably go with the more race oriented RTR if I had to do one. the T4 or the XXX-T RTR are good choices with the XXX-T costing more because it has better electronics. You can however find deals on it on ebay as the older style but still good XXX-T RTR is going for around $200 or less NIB.

I would recommend a kit so you know how to put it together and take it apart. To me its just more satisfying .

There are cheaper prices out there, if you don't have a LHS or they have crazy markup, check out www.ultimatehobbies.com they have some good prices, just make sure to call if you don't see anything you want on the site as they have ALOT of stuff not listed on the site for great prices.

If you want some power but still control it, try a 19 turn motor like the Reedy Quad Mag or Orion element. These will be significantly faster than the cheap RTR motors you get but they also don't overpower most ESCs.
< Team Associated RC10B6D>
< Durango DESC410V2, DEX410V5>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote