Wiki Posts
Search

LiPo Charger Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by jsinclair
Yes its more important that the amount of amps it can charge at.
Watt÷volt=amp. A charger that can charge at 10 amps won't be able to if it only has 50w of power. You can also use the equation in reverse amp×volt=watt, to figure out how much power you need. Lets say you have a 4s pack and you want to charge at 10amps 16.8v×10amps=168watts. But keep in mind that nothing is 100% efficient so buy one with a few more watts of power than you think you need.
A power supply is equally important have a high end charger then hooking up to a hobby wing supply gives you nothing. I see a lot people do this as you say your charger needs to match your supply
Old 06-29-2012, 08:03 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

i use the venom pro and 2 venom 5000 2c lipos and i have not had any problems at all.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Tech Champion

I don't like chargers with built in power supplies. They seem a bit more fragile than plain DC chargers.

I like the Turnigy chargers. This one is actually better than my Hyperion:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ersion_2_.html

And the little 50w chargers are only about $25.

I use a Protech power supply at home. At outdoor tracks I prefer useing an extra G31 car battery with a 120/12v 6a float charger glued to it's top and plugged in.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

most chargers have 40-50 watts per output for a 5amp charge, so by your math, they could never actually charge at 5amps. even though they say they do. And these are 12 volt dc, not 16 right.

Just get the duratrax 235 or 245, you will be fine. Unless you really want to spend 200-300 on a charger.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by AErckidd
I'm looking into buying a new charger, but I have no idea which charger to purchase. I want a charger that doesn't need a power supply at a decent price. What are some chargers I should be looking at? Thanks for the input
He asked for a AC/DC charger. Not a charge that he can hook to a 30amp external PS.

The Duratrax 235, 245 or the Eco one i linked earlier will fill your needs. Only get the 245 if you "need" / want to charge 2 packs at a time. Its the best duo AC/DC charger for the price.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
A power supply is equally important have a high end charger then hooking up to a hobby wing supply gives you nothing. I see a lot people do this as you say your charger needs to match your supply
Yes, a good dc charger with a good PS > any charger with a built in PS. But he specifically asked for an AC/DC charger. My suggestions were based on his criteria. An ac/dc charger is fine for the basher or someone new to the hobby.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
He asked for a AC/DC charger. Not a charge that he can hook to a 30amp external PS.

The Duratrax 235, 245 or the Eco one i linked earlier will fill your needs. Only get the 245 if you "need" / want to charge 2 packs at a time. Its the best duo AC/DC charger for the price.
I was offered a used Hyperion 6060i for $65, it comes with all wires and is in great condition. I cannot decide between the Hyperion (Doesn't need a power supply either) or the Duratrax 245, which would you go with?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

If you are remotely serious about the hobby and electric racing, I'd suggest getting a real charger with an external power supply.

A good charger is one of those get what you pay for items where it is better to just pony up and do it right the first time instead of on the cheap.

A better charger will help your batteries last longer, charge faster, and have better balance.

You can get a top notch mid level charger and power supply for around $200 all in.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have a Junsi iCharger 306B that charges at up to 30A and 6S and is a 500W charger off 12V. It costs $160 but is probably the best money I ever spent. I bought a 30A Pyramid PSU for around $50 and have worked great for easily a year. I can charge 6000mAh in less than 15 minutes. It's awesome. Make sure to use batteries that can handle being charged that quickly. I use Thunder Power G6, RevTech, or Nanotechs.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I went with the Hyperion 6060i, hopefully it was the right choice.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Anybody use a protek power supply? I'm looking at the 40amp 1000 watt unit. I'm looking to use it with a thunder power dual port charger.

Or can you recommend a good power supply and where to pick one up?
Old 06-29-2012, 07:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
If you are remotely serious about the hobby and electric racing, I'd suggest getting a real charger with an external power supply.

A good charger is one of those get what you pay for items where it is better to just pony up and do it right the first time instead of on the cheap.

A better charger will help your batteries last longer, charge faster, and have better balance.

You can get a top notch mid level charger and power supply for around $200 all in.
Not everybody needs to spend $200 on a charger, though. Taking this hobby serious doesn't automatically equate to having to spend a ton of money. It's ridiculous to suggest so in a thread where the OP specifically requested a charger with a built-in power supply at a decent price.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blurredvision
Not everybody needs to spend $200 on a charger, though. Taking this hobby serious doesn't automatically equate to having to spend a ton of money. It's ridiculous to suggest so in a thread where the OP specifically requested a charger with a built-in power supply at a decent price.
No, but sometimes it is better to buy a higher quality item ONCE instead of doing it on the cheap only to have to turn around and spend more money later. Sometimes cheapest isn't the best value.

A quality charger pays for itself in spades, just like a quality tool set, or top notch solder iron. Yes, you can spend less but if he isn't overly budget constrained he may be better off sucking it up and spending a little more now instead of trying to do it on the cheap. As his interest in the hobby increases, he can then grow into the charger's capabilities instead of having to replace the charger, just because the cheap one isn't capable of keeping up with his needs.