Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4wd nitro or electric

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

Default 4wd nitro or electric

Have any of you guys compared a 4wd electric (such as xxx-4) and a 1/8 scale buggy (say a Kyosho 777) on a medium size track?

I would like to get an offoad electric buggy, but I'm kinda undecided between 2wd or 4wd. If I have something like a 12t motor, could I keep up with a 1/8 scale buggy, if my driving skills are equal to another guy driving the 1/8th?

It seems that the 2wd would have lots of power to put down on two wheels and may have more top end speed, but the 4wd would probably be easier to accelrate out of the corners like the 1/8 nitro buggy.

Any opinions?
Old 02-21-2005, 08:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

The 4wd's are much easier to drive than the 2wd's. I have a B4 and a Hyper 7 and I have much more fun with the Hyper7. Also, depends on what people are running at your track. If it is equal though, I would go with nitro for offroad.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

Nahh, I already did nitro 1/8 . Its cool, but I am not looking to get back into that anytime soon.

I'm looking for opinions on 2wd or 4wd electric cars vs a 1/8 scale buggy on a medium size track.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

On most tracks, especially smaller or medium-sized ones, electric 4WD Mod is the fastest class on the track. Even on large tracks, if they've got several technical sections, the wheelers rule.

4WD is also the most fun class to drive, because you get through the corners faster and easier, and, when you get in trouble, sometimes the front wheels will pull you out. The driving style is different, and those who have it down usually like it.

4WD is by far the most interesting class -- buggy and truck are 2-manufacturer shows with vehicles that are virtually identical. 4WD, in contrast, features many very different designs, each with their own strong and weak points. For example, a xx-4 and a xxx-4 can turn identical lap times, but they are very much different at every point on the track.

The new wheelers are all much easier to work on than the old xx-4. and even the new xxx-4 G+ doesn't break like the original ones did. The BJ, the X - 5, and the Academy are all reliable as well. That's four radically different cars, all reliable, easy to work on, and fast. The xx-4 makes five.

At the CRCRC Mid-Winter there were three different makes in the A main, and X - 5s won the B and the D. A BJ won the Stock Nats. This has to be the best class out there right now.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

Hmmm, just when I setlte in on the 2wd mod buggy, you make a very convincing argument. I'm not much of a "wreckless" driver so I may not be super fast, but I try not to hit the walls. So does that XXX-4 break mostly because of bad driving or is it tough enough to handle some high jumps landing at full throttle? Or is that just risky?

I want something I don't have to wrench on too much, but has the potential to give the 1/8 buggies a run.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here is how I look at it. Last year I wanted a 4x4 buggy bad. Over a BK2 which I loved. BUT I just want to race, and unfortunatley there wasnt anyone showing to race the wheelers. So I got the BK2 and was just as happy but had a class to turn laps with. I would advise researching the most consistant class taht shows up at your local track/tracks. If they are racing wheelers, grab one. Either car is highly capable, but I would say the 4wd would be "easier" to drive, because is 4wd (kinda like duh ) But whatever you do just race it man. Like now, everyone is talkin 2wd Nitro Trucks so of course thats what im gettin, I just follow the trends and race what is raced. Have fun.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:34 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I was in the same boat as you when it came time to buy a vehicle. I always had liked buggies, and I had to pick between 2wd and 4wd. 2wd in general is the class that most run. But, I decided to go with a 4wd as I wanted something different and I like the handling of a 4wd vehicle. Also, the track owner allowed me to run the 4wd with the 2wds if no other 4wd vehicles showed up to make a class.

What classes at your track are run? If 4wd has some following, I would say give it a try.

I would say that most of the 4wd vehicles out now are pretty durable for racing purposes.

If you are willing to try 4wd but don't want to put a bunch of money in up front, look into either a used vehicle or pickup one of the cheaper new ones like the Academy SB Sport ( $145 from Ultimate hobbies shipped ), Losi XXX-4 Team ( $189 last I checked from Stormer ), or the Academy SB Pro ( $225 from Ultimate hobbies, shipped). This way if you find you don't like 4wd, your not into it much. Also, there are some good deals up on ebay on some vehicles too. I believe there is a pretty nice Academy SB up there right now thats got some nice upgrades.

If you had a chance to drive the XX-4 and liked its handling, pick one up and get that X-5 conversion. Looks like an awesome way to go if you liked the XX-4.

If you have any more questions about the Academy SB line in particular that I can help with PM and I will help you as much as I can. YoungChazz would be your top contact for the X-5.

Good luck whatever you choose but 4wd would be my choice.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

You'll find lots of info about all wheelers at www.4wdrc.com , the only web site devoted exclusively to 4WD. An active forum too.