Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Hobbbywing 'just stock' vs a RSpro in blinky ?? >

Hobbbywing 'just stock' vs a RSpro in blinky ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hobbbywing 'just stock' vs a RSpro in blinky ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default Hobbbywing 'just stock' vs a RSpro in blinky ??

Any thoughts on performance difference? Has anyone compared? I only run non-boosted 13.5t per track rules these days so it would be nice to have the same performance w/o paying the price
Old 06-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go with the hobbywing. From my experiences, the Tekin ESCs are an on/off switch, and if you don;t need to run a pile of boost, go with the smoother controller. Ive driven orion powered cars, and they are quite smooth. Hobbywing is supposed to be an identical ESC so i assume they run about the same.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

lol, I run both Tekin and Speed Passion (aka Hobbywing).

If you're not running 4wd than the RS Pro offers no benefit over the standard RS.

Tekin's new software makes the RS/RS Pro as smooth as any other ESC that I've ever used (LRP, Orion, Novak, Etc.), and the brakes are simply AWESOME.

That said, I do like my Speed Passion ESC, however, it doesn't seem as efficient as my Tekins. All things equal, my cars are significantly faster with the Tekins than the Speed Passion. In the mod classes it isn't a big deal, but it is noticeable in the stock classes. I've won plenty of mod races running 17.5 in both 2WD buggy and SC with my Tekins.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I second that. That last tekin firmware update makes the throttle almost as smooth as my VTX10
Old 06-22-2012, 03:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Thanks for the thoughts.. actually I have two rspro's and it seems wasteful.. I was going to sell them off relpace w/ the just stocks and funnel the difference back into the vehicles :P
Old 06-22-2012, 03:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

If you already run the Tekins then you owe it to yourself to upgrade to the most current software and spend 10 min setting the "feel" of the ESC. Night and day compared to the old software.

I go through equipment like it's water, just for the sake of trying to figure out what I like, and see what's out there. My Tekins have stood the test of time, and have been performing flawlessly for 2+ years.