Wiki Posts
Search

Rebuilding Xray 808 Nitro

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)
Default Rebuilding Xray 808 Nitro

So I bought a used Xray 808 Nitro and Ive decided to just tear it down to its parts, to the very last screw.

Several questions.

Can I wash the parts off, screws, plastics, carbon fibre, diffs etc with warm soap water?

Should I rebuild the diffs completely at this point? What about the shocks? Both feel pretty good to me, and Ive done shocks before. But never diffs.

Thanks for any input, and throw some advice for me if you want!
Old 06-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Tech Addict

So no one has some helpful hints, clues, ideas etc?

I want to wash this stuff off, but not sure whats best to use.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I use simple green. Dish soap will work though. I would tear the diff's down and rebuild them since its a used kit. Shocks are up to you
Old 06-18-2012, 06:12 PM
mkl
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have an 808E and use dish detergent and water to wash off the dirt and a compressor to blow off after rinsing. I would assume people use Nitro cleaner as well. I'm lucky to have a sonic cleaner as well.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkl
I have an 808E and use dish detergent and water to wash off the dirt and a compressor to blow off after rinsing. I would assume people use Nitro cleaner as well. I'm lucky to have a sonic cleaner as well.
Air compressors are a great way to clean stuff off!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Tech Addict

Ok so I have it completely apart, and most of the parts were easy to clean and get all nice.

BUT, the diff cases front and back have this thick, solid black gunk in them that just WONT come out.

How do I clean that up?!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ironwolf1974
Ok so I have it completely apart, and most of the parts were easy to clean and get all nice.

BUT, the diff cases front and back have this thick, solid black gunk in them that just WONT come out.

How do I clean that up?!
Brake cleaner, motor spray, some sort of de- greaser. All will be easier with practice, I tear down my cars a few times a month.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

FYI this is the electric off-road section, might get better luck in the Nitro section.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/

or

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...en-rounds.html

For weekly cleaning I would always just strip out the electronics and mist it with simple green then take it to the car wash. A lil high pressure goes a long way. Then blow it off with an air hose, mist it with WD40 and blow it dry... That will keep it looking like new!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by thecman26
FYI this is the electric off-road section, might get better luck in the Nitro section.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/

or

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...en-rounds.html

For weekly cleaning I would always just strip out the electronics and mist it with simple green then take it to the car wash. A lil high pressure goes a long way. Then blow it off with an air hose, mist it with WD40 and blow it dry... That will keep it looking like new!
Thanks for the advice, this buggy is going electric after I get it super clean.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thanks for the advice, this buggy is going electric after I get it super clean.
I see... Well if that is the case! I would say give it a total rebuild! Get shock rebuild kits (pistons optional here, most of the time the pistons are fine, just the seals get beat up sometimes), get gaskets for the diffs and clean them out and refill with new fluids, clean the chassis pretty good and you will be set for a conversion! Also replace anything that looks worn especially things like universals that dont feel smooth and drive pins/outdrives that are worn out.

Good luck!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

I see... Well if that is the case! I would say give it a total rebuild! Get shock rebuild kits (pistons optional here, most of the time the pistons are fine, just the seals get beat up sometimes), get gaskets for the diffs and clean them out and refill with new fluids, clean the chassis pretty good and you will be set for a conversion! Also replace anything that looks worn especially things like universals that dont feel smooth and drive pins/outdrives that are worn out.

Good luck!
See thats why your here, to make sure I do the important stuff. I hope my LHS has shock rebuild kits, if not have to get them from Amain, I hate waiting lol!

The chassis is spotless right now, used some good cleaner. The drive pins, outdrives etc are good. Some of the bearings feel a little out of wack though.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

See thats why your here, to make sure I do the important stuff. I hope my LHS has shock rebuild kits, if not have to get them from Amain, I hate waiting lol!

The chassis is spotless right now, used some good cleaner. The drive pins, outdrives etc are good. Some of the bearings feel a little out of wack though.
I understand the feeling, but if you go with priority mail Amain is usually pretty fast and an economical option to air mail! Go to avid rc for good bearings. If you order from amain the protek's are just as good and just as cheap. But bearings are cheap and I would go ahead and just get a kit and replace them all while you got a chance!

http://www.avidrc.com/flexkit/?kit=248&kitname=808 = $24 for 24 bearings! Plus shipping of course!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Tech Addict

I understand the feeling, but if you go with priority mail Amain is usually pretty fast and an economical option to air mail! Go to avid rc for good bearings. If you order from amain the protek's are just as good and just as cheap. But bearings are cheap and I would go ahead and just get a kit and replace them all while you got a chance!

http://www.avidrc.com/flexkit/?kit=248&kitname=808 = $24 for 24 bearings! Plus shipping of course!
You are awesome, Im ordering these as we speak.

Now how often should bearings be changed out?
Old 06-18-2012, 10:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

You are awesome, Im ordering these as we speak.

Now how often should bearings be changed out?
I only do it when I can feel them getting a lil "crunchy"... Usually check bearings every other month during routine maintenence or when I am am fixing broken parts and have a chance to look at them... Its not a routine maintenence item for me though... I would replace bearings maybe once a year... That is unless they get gritty...
Old 06-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Tech Addict

I only do it when I can feel them getting a lil "crunchy"... Usually check bearings every other month during routine maintenence or when I am am fixing broken parts and have a chance to look at them... Its not a routine maintenence item for me though... I would replace bearings maybe once a year... That is unless they get gritty...
yeah a few of the front axle bearings feel crunchy and dont turn as smoothly as I like. At 24 bucks thats not a bad deal!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.