Community
Wiki Posts
Search

After race cleaning(SCT)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Tech Adept

Default After race cleaning(SCT)

Hey guys just wonder what parts and components you guys all clean after racing on dirt. Please dont just say what ever is dirty please be specific on after certain thing, example: after how many races do you change out your diff oil ect. If it give you and idea i run on hard pack clay surface that is always wet with my stock traxxas slash. Outdoor
Old 06-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.Slash
Hey guys just wonder what parts and components you guys all clean after racing on dirt. Please dont just say what ever is dirty please be specific on after certain thing, example: after how many races do you change out your diff oil ect. If it give you and idea i run on hard pack clay surface that is always wet with my stock traxxas slash. Outdoor
I personally like to use simple green on the front/rear, and then blow it off with the compressor. I detail it a bit and clean tires etc. I check shocks and diffs every 3-4 race days. I like the vehicle to look new and it allows me to examine it and find any loose screws or possible slop.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think that after each race it's best to give it a decent clean and maintenance check up. My advice would be as follows...

Start with a surface clean to get all the big bits of dirt and debris out. I use soapy water and a brush for this. Lots of others use something like Simple Green. Just be careful not to get water into your electronics whatever you end up using. Then do a little more thorough cleaning by really getting in the smaller parts with a paint brush or tooth brush. After it's clean check all my parts for anything that is broken, bent or otherwise not in good working order. It's easier to find these things once your R/C is cleaned up.

Also I would clean the tires/wheels, check the bearings, and lube the metal parts and bearings with some WD-40 or like substance between race days. That will keep them lubed and rust free.

About every month or so I do a tear down where I break my cars into 3-4 pieces at least and check them out for any wear or damage. Then about 2-3 times a race season I literally tear them down to kit form and rebuild them from the manual. If I have any bad screws, nuts, or fasteners I will replace them with new ones.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by darcness
I think that after each race it's best to give it a decent clean and maintenance check up. My advice would be as follows...

Start with a surface clean to get all the big bits of dirt and debris out. I use soapy water and a brush for this. Lots of others use something like Simple Green. Just be careful not to get water into your electronics whatever you end up using. Then do a little more thorough cleaning by really getting in the smaller parts with a paint brush or tooth brush. After it's clean check all my parts for anything that is broken, bent or otherwise not in good working order. It's easier to find these things once your R/C is cleaned up.

Also I would clean the tires/wheels, check the bearings, and lube the metal parts and bearings with some WD-40 or like substance between race days. That will keep them lubed and rust free.

About every month or so I do a tear down where I break my cars into 3-4 pieces at least and check them out for any wear or damage. Then about 2-3 times a race season I literally tear them down to kit form and rebuild them from the manual. If I have any bad screws, nuts, or fasteners I will replace them with new ones.
+1 to both of those and after a about 5 or 6 wks i tear it down and rebuilt the front and rear end with new parts and the tranny if it start to chatter. allnew parts in the tranny to keep it on the hush hush
Old 06-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Ok so just bought a RTR Kyosho, should I just go ahead and rebuild the diffs? Im sure it explains it in my manual.

But how do I choose what diff oils to use? I run on a pretty big 1/8 track, outdoor, dirt. Am really obsessive about keeping it clean, even cleaning it off after practice sessions when my batteries are charging.

Anyway, just would like to know more about diffs and when I change them would the guy said every 3 race days?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys for the impute and suggestions I will definatly go to Walmart and pick up some simple green. Thanks everyone!!!!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Discovered this stuff the other day. Seemed to do a better job than Simple Green. I remove all electronics then spray this all over...let sit for a couple of minutes then rinse with water. Make sure to WD40 bearings and such afterwards....itll look brand new.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by midwestcajun
Discovered this stuff the other day. Seemed to do a better job than Simple Green. I remove all electronics then spray this all over...let sit for a couple of minutes then rinse with water. Make sure to WD40 bearings and such afterwards....itll look brand new.

Do you know where you got it at???
Old 06-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.Slash
Do you know where you got it at???

Auto zone or craigen sell them for 3-4 bucks. I use that and I either hose off or depending how muddy they are some times I pressure wash them. Lol yup I pressure wash them at times. I just don't run or plug the esc for a day or two. After I blow off the water I spray some sylicon to make it look new

Before and after

Old 06-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

wd40 is a water displacer, not a lubricant. It actually works very well as a degreaser. You should not "lube" bearings with it as it will accelerate wear. Bearing oil is what you should use after cleaning bearings. as far as the other cleaning methods, top notch.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Remember the Traxxas Slash is waterproof, so all I do is hose it down let it dry and WD40 the motor (I still run brushed) and WD40 all the screws so they don't rust. I only take the tranny apart maybe twice in a season and re-grease it, I never have dust or any particles in my tranny. But I do a check all around the truck to make sure everything is in order cause I did have a warped tranny half once and got some dirt in the tranny once.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bschanz
wd40 is a water displacer, not a lubricant. It actually works very well as a degreaser. You should not "lube" bearings with it as it will accelerate wear. Bearing oil is what you should use after cleaning bearings. as far as the other cleaning methods, top notch.
Thank you...I was about to post the same thing. It's amazing how many people think that WD-40 is a lubricant.