Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
[POLL] E-Buggy/Truggy: Metal Spur vs. Plastic Spur... Fight! >

[POLL] E-Buggy/Truggy: Metal Spur vs. Plastic Spur... Fight!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

[POLL] E-Buggy/Truggy: Metal Spur vs. Plastic Spur... Fight!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Davidka
It's on the buggy (no chassis brace). I didn't believe it when someone else told me but I saw a video of someone flexing the chassis and the mesh changed a lot. It's no problem with the steel gear and I run on looser dirt tracks sometimes which tend to shorten the life of plastic spurs too.

Well i know so far i havnt noticed a speed diffrence or diffrent gear mesh inless a screw gets loose on the RC8T if its flexing but i can always get some alum diff mounts.

If there was a lighten metal spur gear for the RC8T i would get one but there isnt.

The track i was on outdoors is dry and loose but the plastic spur is fine.
Actually when i ran on a wet loamy dirt/soil track it would wear the plastic spur much quicker !
Old 05-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21
Now would you like to "sound cool" and spend tons of money on worn pinions or would you rather be less obnoxious and save money and bench time. Do yourself a favor and go with the plastic.
Agreed, I spend a ton on warn pinions in a season.. maybe $14 (at most 2 per year) if you have a traktion drive or clutch it's about 1 per year (provided good mesh). I know in this hobby $14 is going to drowned some folks so be careful

I like the sound of either.. no preference and I've never had anyone complain about the little noise... neither buy you even a second on the lap times.. but I have witnessed about 10 stripped plastic spurs in races and qualifiers and I've yet to see a steel spur strip and end a race :P
phattracker likes this.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
Lightened losi metal 48's are pretty light, and you'll never have to replace.

Tekno 8ight & 8ight-t 2.0
+1 Metal
Pro- You'll finish every race you start
Con- A touch more noise, umm still darn quiet ;P

Using plastic's in a truggy... it's not a question of "if it will" but a question of "when" it will break

PS the motors in an ebuggy & etruggy are always more than needed, you don't have to think even once about such a small amount of rotational mass :P
Steel spur wearing? I used the same 48t lightened losi spur for 2+ years with no wear. You do wear out clutches and pinions. Zero drive train issues.. LOL funny stuff . If you want drive train protection a traktion drive, clutch setup from telno is the only way to go. In a buggy this just isn't needed, direct drive is fine (plastic or steel spur). Truggy on the other hand.. The rear diff really does like a clutch, traktion drive, or slipperential. Can you run without? Sure... But aleast in my tekno 8t 2.0 I get about doiuble the life out of my rear diff.

If you want to sound like a 1/10th scale, plastic is the only choice... If you don't mind a touch of noise the steel is way more durable over time and will do a great job. If you set the gap good wear is no different than running nitro, which isn't exactly a new technology.. Hehe
+1 For steel ! You gotta finish to win and outoors you can get debris caught in the gears and break teeth off , been there done that ......

Now would you like to "sound cool" and spend tons of money on worn pinions or would you rather be less obnoxious and save money and bench time. Do yourself a favor and go with the plastic.
Sound cool ? less obnoxious ? Got nothing to do with winning a race .
Old 05-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Agreed, I spend a ton on warn pinions in a season.. maybe $14 (at most 2 per year) if you have a traktion drive or clutch it's about 1 per year (provided good mesh). I know in this hobby $14 is going to drowned some folks so be careful

I like the sound of either.. no preference and I've never had anyone complain about the little noise... neither buy you even a second on the lap times.. but I have witnessed about 10 stripped plastic spurs in races and qualifiers and I've yet to see a steel spur strip and end a race :P
You sir, are a master of sarcasm. Results may vary.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Tech Prophet

If people strip 10 plastic spur gears in a race there doing something wrong sorry.

Man i have raced on outdoor tracks that were ruff as hell with ruts etc last year and before. 0 issues.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
If people strip 10 plastic spur gears in a race there doing something wrong sorry.

Man i have raced on outdoor tracks that were ruff as hell with ruts etc last year and before. 0 issues.
If it's a daily occurance sure... I wasn't saying it was all in one race weekend, and it certainly wasn't all one person. But each of them lost a race or the main due to it failing. We have a pretty busy tracka and they host events like the pro-series w/ several 100 racers yearly.

You could disect further and say many may not have even had anything to do with the track but others did. Huge jumps, some bad landings will happen.. mesh does shift and w/ plastic if the mesh is off even a little it becomes quite easy to do damage. Some may have been a bad mesh from the get go, some may have been rocks getting in, some may have been natural wear. Tons of reasons and keep in mind over a 2yr period really.

Listen I voted +1 steel but for real the plastic are more than durable enough in any 1/8 buggy.. just make sure you check mesh before you race and most likely you will never have an issue. In most vehicles odds are low of a stone getting into the drive train unless the chassis is open. Myself I'd never trust in a truggy, but I know guys who do and if you or anyone wants to have a blast Freedom of choice
Old 05-28-2012, 04:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

TT truggy 5.5 brushless

Delrin

1.5 yrs no wear

Lighter, noticably quiter and quicker. Never had to replace pinion or the spur.

The only con i found is the cheap spurs are not flat or can warp easy and cause diff oil to leak past the gasket...

22 buggy, plastic. As above but only 6 months. Race time but still no wear etc...
Old 05-28-2012, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Cars:
Tekno 8ight-E (my own version of a V4)(Tekin 1900, 4S-5S)
Tekno RC8 V4(Tekin 2050, 4S)
Hyper 9E(Tekin 1900, 4S-5S)

Spur:
Losi Plastic 43t Spurs on all of them

Why:

Less noise.
Less Radio Interference (I still run some 75MHz systems)
Less weight.
Less pinion wear.
Haven't killed a single one yet!
Old 05-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kufman
Cars:
Tekno 8ight-E (my own version of a V4)(Tekin 1900, 4S-5S)
Tekno RC8 V4(Tekin 2050, 4S)
Hyper 9E(Tekin 1900, 4S-5S)

Spur:
Losi Plastic 43t Spurs on all of them

Why:

Less noise.
Less Radio Interference (I still run some 75MHz systems)
Less weight.
Less pinion wear.
Haven't killed a single one yet!
Is delrin better than just plain plastic? I've heard it's pretty good stuff though.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Is delrin better than just plain plastic? I've heard it's pretty good stuff though.
Delrin is a better material and parts made from delrin tend to be machined rather than molded.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Delrin is a better material and parts made from delrin tend to be machined rather than molded.
Yeah, just got a link for a rc monster delrin spur for my scte on the scte thread. $20 seems kinda high for "plastic", but if they wear like you say i'm sure it's worth it in the long run.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah, just got a link for a rc monster delrin spur for my scte on the scte thread. $20 seems kinda high for "plastic", but if they wear like you say i'm sure it's worth it in the long run.
Anything machined will be pricey, especially things that have to be very precise like gears. Just look at steel spurs. Steel is cheap, yet steel spurs tend to be in the $30+ range. It is the cost of the tools and the time that jack up the price.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Car:Caster Ex1.5r pro.

Spur:Metal for now until i can convert it to plastic(I.e VERY SOON)

Why:I hate metal spurs and the sound of them and i like the quiet noise of the plastics and have NEVER had a problem with plastic spurs.I used a plastic spur in an electric rc8tce running a tekin rx8 and tekin 1350kv running on 6s for almost a whole year and had zero issues with stripping them out.Most people here vote plastic and thats what i also vote.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

Anything machined will be pricey, especially things that have to be very precise like gears. Just look at steel spurs. Steel is cheap, yet steel spurs tend to be in the $30+ range. It is the cost of the tools and the time that jack up the price.
Yeah just checked won't work with my scte. The rc monster gear is 32 pitch not mod 1.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

plastic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.