Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Using your hearing to tell if your slipper is set right? >

Using your hearing to tell if your slipper is set right?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using your hearing to tell if your slipper is set right?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 05:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Using your hearing to tell if your slipper is set right?

When your setting your slipper do you want to hear it while your running or not at all? Should i be hearing it coming out of the corners and then not on the straight? Or all around the track. My thinking is you want to hear it when your on corner exit then when the truck is straight not at all, dose that sound right?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

2WD or 4WD?

2WD I get it in the ballpark on the bench and make a fine adjustment after running.

4WD, you don't want it to slip for more than a second (if that) at a time. Which verson of a/the slipper are you running?

I have the FT VTS and with the skinny inner slipper pads, it would slip like crazy. This ultimately led to a decrease in performance and increased motor temps. I threw on a "high-torque" inner pad and it rips down the straight.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

2wd Kyosho slipper and sc10 4wd, never neaver really played with the sc10 yet
Old 05-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

3 turns in from nut being flush
I run it like that on all my cars
Old 05-25-2012, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Well, that just throws the whole act of tuning out the window. How do you adjust for different slipper springs, chassis weights, motors (mod vs. stock), slipper friction materials, etc.?

Most set their slipper by holding the rear wheels and giving it full throttle for a second or two, to see how far the front wheels come off the ground. 2WD, I like the front wheels to just barely lift off of the ground. No more than 1/2", or so, but many shoot for 2-3" of lift.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i hold my back tires and pull the trigger so it comes 2 - 3" off the ground, just like you were saying
Old 05-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Yeah I usually get it in the ball park on the bench. I like the front wheels to lift a 1/2 in to an inch. Anymore than that and im wheeling down the straight. With the SC 2wd you cant really do the setup on the bench because the tires are kind of heavy. I set it on the carpet and punch it. If it does'nt slip or wheelies I loosen it untill it slips for a split second.

Imo slippers are not meant to be used for tuning. They are designed to take the stress off the gears in the tranny when landing jumps. If your loosening your slipper because your wheels are breaking loose then you should be dialing down your punch in the esc. Just my .02

Last edited by elex300; 05-25-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta
Well, that just throws the whole act of tuning out the window. How do you adjust for different slipper springs, chassis weights, motors (mod vs. stock), slipper friction materials, etc.?

Most set their slipper by holding the rear wheels and giving it full throttle for a second or two, to see how far the front wheels come off the ground. 2WD, I like the front wheels to just barely lift off of the ground. No more than 1/2", or so, but many shoot for 2-3" of lift.
I don't need the adjusting window.

I make them all the same so they all feel the same.

I use the same hub/pad spring on all 3 cars. I set the slipper the same on all 3 cars
One car has a ball the other two are gear diff's

I do sometimes adjust the slipper on my Buggy if he track has no traction but from that. They get 3 turns in and off I go
Old 05-25-2012, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

WIth my Buggys and Trucks I do it with the tires just lifting off the ground holding the rear wheels. My 2WD SC10 however will not lift the tires so I try my best to tune it on the track. Anybody have other methods for the heavier short course trucks?
Old 05-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

On the track, the slipper should only be slipping a TINY bit, so the answer to the OP is "no."... If you hear your slipper buzzing as you hit the gas, it's too loose. The slipper is nothing more than a shock absorber for your gearbox. A properly set slipper should only slip for single rotation or two.