Old 05-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Track Building Help...

i appologize if this is the wrong section
ok if you have any experience in track building heres my question

im doing a back yard track in so cal, my ground space is 50x80
i got 2 dumptruck and trailers full of sifted red clay

i put a flat base and started buildling the track on top of it but i cant keep the ground from cracking i can pack it and roll it a million times and the second i water it and it starts to dry the top layer crackes...

and about an inch under the top layer its just powder and this is been an on going battle for a week now ive tried different methods online of what people say to do and nothing worked if you have any suggestions any help would be great...

thanks
Old 05-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bLamey470

i put a flat base and started buildling the track on top of it but i cant keep the ground from cracking i can pack it and roll it a million times and the second i water it and it starts to dry the top layer crackes...

and about an inch under the top layer its just powder and this is been an on going battle for a week now ive tried different methods online of what people say to do and nothing worked if you have any suggestions any help would be great...

thanks
cracking is gonna happen i mean as long as its not huge cracks that are completely messing up your car ive seen cracking on all tracks ive been too, and in the outdoors its gonna happen more often. im not totally sure if there's a way to stop it but im sure there will be other people that post on this thread
Old 05-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rcduder
cracking is gonna happen i mean as long as its not huge cracks that are completely messing up your car ive seen cracking on all tracks ive been too, and in the outdoors its gonna happen more often. im not totally sure if there's a way to stop it but im sure there will be other people that post on this thread
yeah if it was hairline cracks i wouldnt worry about it too much but they are big cracks and if you kinda kick your foot into the ground it will chunk out and leave a big hole i could only imagine if you plowed your car into it...
Old 05-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You should check out socal-rc.com alot of people there do backyard tracks.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by umm winning
You should check out socal-rc.com alot of people there do backyard tracks.
thanks ill check there too...
Old 05-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Try to get the water to penetrate deeper into the clay. That is why it is dry underneath. Water right before sunset, it gives the water time to sink in vs evaporate if it is hot out. Also try covering areas after watering to keep the moisture in the track to get it to soak in more. Sometimes covering after you compact everything and slowing the drying will help with the cracking but not always. The cracking is from the dirt shrinking as it dries.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

cracks are going to happen, just repair them as they need it, small cracks wont do any harm, fix the ones that get bigger.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bLamey470

thanks
If you say under the top layer is powder, you need to get all the dirt you have wet and put it in a pile to mix it, then start building while the dirt is evenly wet. It seems to me that the dirt is wet on top, but underneath it is dry. Most important part of building is having a water guy watering while you are building, making sure the dirt has the right moisture. Also, I'm not sure where you got your dirt from, but if its pure clay from Corona Clay Co. or a place like that, I don't think that would work very well for an outdoor track. Email me if you have any other questions.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

double post
Old 05-24-2012, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Here's what you need to do. Take 4 2x4's and drive nails, screws down the middle of the boards about 2" apart, then take old garden hose and ziptie, bolt, etc. the boards to the garden hose.

You will be pulling the garden hose with the boards attached width wise. Kinda like a ladder would be. Can you picture what I'm describing?

What is happening is the water is not getting down under the top layer of clay. The nails in the boards will score the surface enough to allow water to penetrate deeper. Using this contraption will allow faster coverage of the track. Usually this is pulled by a golf cart or lawnmower...you can pull it yourself. You might need to add some weight to the boards if it doesn't dig in enough.

Keep in mind a long light soak is better than dowsing the track with a ton of water. Just like a long light rain is better than a quick downpour.

Cracks will happen regardless especially if your the only one running on it. Maybe invite friends over and get a good groove built in after you do the scoring and watering.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've also found that spraying on a 10:1 ratio of water and wood glue on a very wet surface helps keep the moisture in. But I live in a vastly different climate and my track is heavily shaded.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

my LHS looks up videos on youtube and just copies parts of different tracks
Old 05-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

when our local indoor clay track was built it was layered just like that, took weeks and weeks before the moisture evened out, clay cracks thats normal. I would be tempted to mix it depending on the dirt underneath.