Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Project xx-24

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

I'm planning to take the car to the track for some more tuning on Sunday and get it better setup for the smooth wet clay surface. I designed this car for rough outdoor tracks and I am having to change things to make it work on this new surface.

I'm going to try making a sway bar for the rear and I'll try to post some pics of what I make.

I'll also try to get a video of the car on the track, without the driving mistakes (I haven't raced in two and a half years).
Old 02-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Tech Regular

Took the car to the track this weekend and did some fine tuning. Tried some Panther Bobcats and Switch in clay compound. Holly crap! I traction rolled a couple times when my driving got a little over zealous. Still have a bit of a issue with the front dumping down a bit in the corners. I'm going to try some even stiffer springs and oil next time. Running Greens up front with 27.5 wt. I think Blues and 30 wt will do the trick. Then I think I'll have to make a stiffer rear sway bar to bring back the balance. Pics of the rear sway bar and all the other mods coming soon, if I can find the time.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Thumbs up Spacers

Nice work, I would like those spacers for the rear driveshaft's. PM me if you can make and sell some to me , Please
Old 05-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Anything new with the project?? I am very interested. I just found my old XX4 and I have read your build several times combined with other builds... I am forming my own plan of attack at the moment since its been ruffy 15 yrs since I have done anything rc related...

Thanks
johnny
Old 01-03-2014, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

Sorry no pics on the rear sway bar yet. But I did have it at the track for some practice the other day after I lengthened the wheelbase by moving the rear arms back, strangely this increased rear traction? I want to try playing with the geometry in the steering a bit but first I have to make some new front spring cups to make some clearance. The car felt like I had too much ackerman with the lengthened wheelbase, but this only makes sense. It felt like the front outside wheel wasn't turning enough and the front end was just scrubbing a lot. I am amazed at what lengthening the wheelbase did to the car, it is far more stable and it affected the steering a huge amount. This really made me realize the link between ackerman and wheelbase, but that only makes sense.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Tech Regular

I also broke a rear arm mount so I am making a new one out of aluminium today, I will post pics as soon as I'm done.

Last edited by NitrousBIG; 01-03-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Cool project! I wonder how close the new 22-4 suspension is to your modified 22 setup?
Old 01-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Originally Posted by NitrousBIG
I lengthened the wheelbase by moving the rear arms back, strangely this increased rear traction?
Interesting project!

I think changing the wheel base, especially rear arm/hub spacing, can give mixed feedback. hubs forward= more rear% and the car has more forward drive but rotates a little more in the center of the corner. hubs back= less rear% the car is free-er on exit but doesn't rotate as aggressive mid corner. So I suspect you were focused on mid corner grip/stability.

Originally Posted by NitrousBIG
This really made me realize the link between ackerman and wheelbase, but that only makes sense.
I haven't thought of this before either. I'm sure you've seen the diagrams of Ackerman where at full lock the inside and outside wheel paths intersect at the rear axle centerline... changing the wheel base would throw that off
Old 01-03-2014, 11:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dillon71
Interesting project!

I think changing the wheel base, especially rear arm/hub spacing, can give mixed feedback. hubs forward= more rear% and the car has more forward drive but rotates a little more in the center of the corner. hubs back= less rear% the car is free-er on exit but doesn't rotate as aggressive mid corner. So I suspect you were focused on mid corner grip/stability.
It did the opposite to this! Less rear weight bias, longer wheel base and I got more rear traction everywhere? Including forward traction and I didn't change anything else. Might be the change in drive shaft angle, had a similar result with my Revo and the frog leg arms.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dillon71
Interesting project!

It did the opposite to this! Less rear weight bias, longer wheel base and I got more rear traction everywhere? Including forward traction and I didn't change anything else. Might be the change in drive shaft angle, had a similar result with my Revo and the frog leg arms.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:33 AM
Tech Regular

I know its been a while but I have done a few things to the car. First I made a rear sway bar and after a nasty tumble on some triples I broke the rear inner arm mount. I made a new one out of a xxx-t rear arm mount and lengthened the wheel base at the same time. This generated a ton of rear traction making the front feel a little numb so the next step is to make the ackerman a little more aggressive with some associated B5 parts. Just weighting for them to come in. Also picked up a TLR 22-4 that I haven't driven yet but I have started modifying, More on all of this soon including pics.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:43 PM
Tech Regular

Everything came screaming to halt on this project. I moved, you know how that goes. Setting up my hobby room soon and getting started on my projects again. And I have a new one, focusing on aero, its a super light 4wd scte. Thread coming soon.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

Bump so thread doesn't die.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:39 PM
Tech Regular

With the release of the 22-4 this project has pretty much died because parts are getting harder to find. So I thought I would post pictures of where I finished.

I finished the rear plate by rounding the corners then made a rear sway bar. I used XXX-S sway bar mounts then bent up my own bar with some K&S piano wire.

I was very happy with where this project has ended. If I were to continue I would play with the steering geometry to reduce the ackerman at the end of the throw. Aside from that I was running into design constraints of modifying someone else's design. At some point I would like to design my own 4WD buggy with some really cool features, but I have enough other projects on the go, including a near custom 2WD buggy. Besides I need to get my CNC machine running first and get a 3D printer (my school is getting one of these!!!!). So for now I am just playing with what I have.

All my junk ready for the track during Christmas break.

Here is the updated list of my other projects:

Project TLR 22
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-tlr-22-a.html

Project 22-4
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...l#post14801838

Project SCTE [Light Weight and Aero]
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...l#post14801802

Theory Build
http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ory-build.html

That's all for now.