Wiki Posts
Search

Getting back into RC. Need recommendations. Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Getting back into RC. Need recommendations. Thanks

I used to own a XL-5 stampede that I had switched over to the VXL system along with RPM 5x11 hub carriers, a-arms, tie-rods, front bumper, wheelie bar, etc. That PEDE was a TANK. I never got into LIPO b/c it was $200-300 at the time so I was running the VXL with 7-cell 8.4v NIMH batteries. I ended up selling it over a year ago b/c I needed the cash at the time and now regret selling it. I'm looking to get back into the hobby mainly b/c I quit going out drinking all the time and have alot of free time now.

I will mostly be bashing around my neighborhood which has fairly thick grass about 3-4" tall, a road & court, will take it to the park where there is shorter grass, and to consruction sites for dirt. MAYBE the local R/C or BMX track.

What I'm looking for in a truck-
*Wheelies...truck MUST be able to do wheelies as the VXL stampede kinda spoiled me there
*Durable!!! I like to build big jumps
*Ability to handle brushless
*Somewhat easy to work on...stampede was a piece of cake

I was considering buying another stampede, but one thing that bugged me about the PEDE was it tended to roll over alot going over bumps and just turning too fast. These are what I am considering and I am open to suggestions(please):
*HPI FIRESTORM FLUX. Really like how this truck looks and I've read that it is very durable out of the box. Does this wheelie from a stand still with 8.4V NIMH or 2S lipos? I also like how all the wheels are the same offset. Not sure how well the rebranded Mamba ESC/Motor combo compares to the VXL's amazing torque? Also haven't heard much about upgrades for this

*VXL Rustler-Does the rustler wheelie like the stampede did on 8.4 NIMH batteries? I like that it won't roll over as easily. I don't like that you basically NEED RPM arms and tie rods and that the wheels are different offsets. I also hear the rear shock tower is weak. It's cool that it accepts 3s Lipos, but not sure how practical that is. Looks like almost too much power and then you also have to deal with overheating if you're not careful. I like that it's waterproof and comes with a 2.4ghz radio now!

*VXL Stampede 4x4- I like that it is 4wd, but not sure if it will really make a difference. I hear it rolls over less then the 2wd, but it's not as fast. Kinda think it might be more of a hassle to repair it's more wear on the battery and motor reducing run times. Also is more expensive! It's nice that it's waterproof and comes with a 2.4ghz radio now.

RC10 T4.1 Brushless- Hear this is a track truck, but how well does it hold up bashing? What would it take to become a basher? No idea about the Reedy brushless system that it comes with.

I'd actually prefer a kit if they even make any anymore. I'd also rather buy used and save money and there sure is alot of used Traxxas to be found. Unfortunately it will probly be hard to find a Firestorm used. Open to buying rollers and putting my own electronics in them if there is better options then the VXL, FLUX, or REEDY

Not sure about batteries or charger either....LIPO or NIMH. I'd like to keep the cost down to a minimum. I read the GEN ACE 30C 2S lipo's from HOBBYPARTZ.COM are the best bang for the buck. Any better options? What is the best bang for the buck lipo charger that's easy to use?

Another thing I like about the ST's is that I can basically just change the rear tires to suit the conditions rather then buying all 4. I'm not really a fan of these new short track trucks that I am seeing become popular.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT & SORRY FOR SO MANY QUESTIONS!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You wanna bash, do wheelies, handle all surfaces, then get a monster truck and 4X4..., but bigger than all the ones you named. Step into a E-Revo or Savage Flux. The flux is just way too powerful for its own good on 3S. 2S provides nice powerful controllable fun. If you must have standing flips, toss in the 3S pack. These larger trucks can handle taller grass, curbs, branches, and deeper ruts than the smaller trucks. I have nitro versions of both and they are very durable. I wouldn't worry about tire changeout, I rarely find the need to change tires on my bashers. Sure, if ya wanna play in sand (I wouldn't) then some paddles would be nice, maybe a set of knobbies if the surface is all dirt, but I find the stock Revo tire to be a good all-in-one tire for 95% of the bashing I do.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

E-Firestorm flux and to answer all your questions...

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes and
Yes.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Slash 4x4 is for you my friend
Old 05-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Savage/revo is too much. Slashes are just plain fugly. I'd get a 4x4 pede over a slash any day. Thinkin im going to go with the firestorm flux. Wish i could find a used one in good condition