Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Can i put diff oil from the site of the diff?? >

Can i put diff oil from the site of the diff??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can i put diff oil from the site of the diff??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 04:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Can i put diff oil from the site of the diff??

Can i put diff oil through that small 4x4 screw on the site of the diff housing?(it's a hyper 7)
It seams to be the easiest way.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Oil

If the screws go all the way through the case like the old mugens did than yes. I used to do it that way on my MBX-4, that was the best way I found to fill that style diff.
One thing though, put a bolt in the gear from the other side to act as a plug otherwise you'll end up getting silcone oil everywhere! Oh, and be sure to loosen the screw opposite the one you are using for the fill point, it lets the air out.
Then just squeeze the bottle until you see oil come out the vent.Be sure to let some of the oil ooze back out as you put the last bolt in otherwise you'll end up over filling the diff. You don't want any pressure inside the diff. Hope this answers your question. Have fun. Chris
Old 02-11-2005, 03:32 AM
Tech Adept

Chris,

I personally would never do that. It look like the easiest way but it is not the appropriate for three reasons.

1) Silicone will not drain easily it will probably take hours. If it is like the inferno which has only one plug...

2) If you need to change viscosities, the previous leftover silicone will alter the viscosity of the new one.

3) If you are just maintaining your diff, the silicone change will do nothing, unless you take it apart and clean it properly. The silicone will be black, like slime most of the times and this thing is stuck to your spider gears. There is no way that it is going to pour out like oil. (Unless you have a kyosho TCD)

Our vehicles are not like 1:1 cars where you just take the plug off, let the oil drain, fill it up and you 're back on the road again.

On the other hand if you re bored to take it apart, dont bother changing the silicone.

This is just my opinion on the matter, I just wouldnt do it in a competition vehicle.

Antonis
Old 02-15-2005, 05:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default oil

I never said I maintained the diff that way, I just filled them like that.

Also, if I needed to make a fast oil change at the track all you have to do is spray the diff out with niftech motor spary and let it dry ( very fast ) and don't worry, it does not harm the o-rings. Then simply refill and pop the diff back in. With the old mugen diffs changing the oil this way saved a bunch of time!!

I would take my diffs completely apart at least once a month to inspect all the internal parts, just to see if anything was getting worn out. I filled my diffs like this for years with no problems.

You do make a good point about taking them apart for a good cleaning and inspection from time to time. As we all know the diffs in an 1/8 scale take a BEATING!

And as far as a plug, mugen diffs don't have plugs I would remove one of the bolts that held the case together and fill it through the hole. Just make sure to loosen the opposite bolt so the air can get out. And like I said in my first post I'm not sure this will work on the ofna diffs. I can't fill my MBX-5's diffs this way as the bolts thread into the case rather than going all the way through and threading into the gear.

One more thing, I raced pretty much every weekend and tried to practice once a week for about 1 hour or so, if I could. Just to give you an idea how much run time I had on the diffs each month.

Good luck hope this clears things up a bit.