R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-06-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default What is the most durable and least maintenance 4X4 short course truck?

Hello all,

I apologize in advance if this thread has been talked about countless times before.

But I was just wondering what everybody thought the most durable, least maintenance 4X4 short course truck used mainly for bashing not racing?

I was thinking the Slasher 4X4 but heard that its durable but needs a lot of maintenance.

What does everybody think? Thanks for your recommendation.
Ronin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin06 View Post
Hello all,

I apologize in advance if this thread has been talked about countless times before.

But I was just wondering what everybody thought the most durable, least maintenance 4X4 short course truck used mainly for bashing not racing?

I was thinking the Slasher 4X4 but heard that its durable but needs a lot of maintenance.

What does everybody think? Thanks for your recommendation.
Losi SCTE
Futaba 4PKS
Losi 8ight mini
scracer68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

+1 for the scte... at this point w/ the roller or RTR all you need to do is snag a set of carbon shock towers and run it. Eventially down the road swap out the diff outdrives with the HD outdrives when they wear down but that will take a while. Otherwise there is little to worry about, way less than the others at any rate.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

No way the sloppy losi. A slash is much more durable and less maintenece. But I wouldnt race it. Losi would be faster.
XT8 Hobbywing 150a esc/2000kv combo KILLER! Full rc-monster e conversion. 4s
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you are just bashing, I would go with the Slash 4x4. Its a tough truck that is easy to work on, and the parts availability for it is outstanding. Keep it clean and it will last you quite a while.

If you ever intend on taking part in racing, The losi would be a better truck. Mainly because of its competitive platform. But the RTR is quite a bit more expensive than the slash.
HB D8T-LRP iX8, Tekin T8 2250Kv
HB D8-going electric
HobbytownGBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaytanic View Post
No way the sloppy losi. A slash is much more durable and less maintenece. But I wouldnt race it. Losi would be faster.
The slash can be made more durable like any of these; but it's not 1/2 the truck racing or bashing. Out of the box though iMO the slash isn't that durable at best equal to the losi.. at best.

Just my 2c
Old 05-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

SCTE
Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - Clockwork Engines Team Driver - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

All,

Thanks for your input. As being somewhat new to the RC world, I prefer something that is durable with least maintenance, out of the box in the RTR mode. I would rather not have to spend time doing maintenance or setup, or buying additional parts, when I could be bashing or doing whatever.

Also, from what I understand, the Slash has problems out of the box, such as poor tires, shocks etc... In addition I hear there are problems when the Slash encounters water, mud, sand etc.... because the engine is waterproof but the other mechanics of the vehicle is not that leads to constant daily cleaning etc..

The Losi is $100 more than the Slash 4X4 (not the ultimate version). Is the Losi the Bash equivalent of the Slash? If it is, does it justify the additional $100?

Thanks for your recommendation
Old 05-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you want to just bash, a Slash wouldn't be a bad vehicle, but it's handling leaves a bit to be desired.

The Losi is an excellent racer and is very solid so you could also use it to bash. My SCTE hasn't see a race track as yet, it mostly just gets run down at the local park on the BMX tracks and such.
Losi SCTE - Tekin RX8 / Pro4 4600 / Futaba ***** Mugen MBX6 Eco - Tekin RX8 / T8 1900 / Savox ***** Mugen MBX6TR - Eco / Tekin / Futaba ***** Emaxx - FLM / UE Supermaxx / Tekno hop ups ***** Axial SCX10 Honcho RTR (stock) ***** Losi 5ive T - Futaba / VRC / Rooster Tail 30.5cc / SNR
Suteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
Tech Lord

I cant see why you couldn't bash the Scte but its really a race truck. As for mateience the Scte its simple to take apart compared to t:he slash 4x4 and it only needs a few upgrades.

You cant get away from mateience reguardless.

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The Losi is very very high maintenance. I raced one for 3 months and it was bad enough to make me go back to 2wd for ever. If you have the time for maintenance then it's the best of the best.
My preference for 4x4 bashing is by far the Slash 4x4. The worst of it is the center carrier bearing. Just get a couple at the store and keep them with you.
Most new to the hobby also don't think of these scale trucks as what they really are. Keep in mind - the slash and others like it are scaled down models of the real thing. The real thing is an 800HP all out racing machine that loves to eat money and so is the scaled down version. So remember, you will burn up motors, break axles, snap body posts, go through tires and many other parts if your ruff with it. Just like a real truck - you go bash it - something's going to break.
Good luck, I hope you have as much fun as the rest of us.
gmackhurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #12
Tech Regular

I would say the Slash 4x4, just do not expect to show up at your local track and win if everyone else is driving a car they bought not based on their laziness. :lol
Sleepytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

Nice shot.

I am not "lazy" per say, I just greatly value my time. Of course I am talking to somebody who name is "Sleepytime". just kidding...

Regardless, thanks for your input.....
Old 05-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #14
Tech Regular

@Ronin06 - I was just razzing you a bit, one thing i would like to mention is that the DESC410R is the easiest to work on 4x4 in my opinion simply because the diffs are so easy to remove. It is not cheap nor is it perfect out of the box but once dial...it is the best truck in the class and the easiest to work on.
Sleepytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (96%+)

slash is old news, If you know your stuff, Losi SCTE all the way.
Feint Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links