Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Easiest way to go faster.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Easiest way to go faster.

Hello from a NOOB. My son and I are new to this hobby. He has a Traxxas Slash 2WD Electric, I have an Arrma Fury, and we just got 1/10 2.4Ghz Exceed RC Electric SunFire RTR Off Road Buggy Fire Black, for the price this thing is a ball. Now to our question, I would like to get more speed out of the Sunfire, I dont want to go Lipo, or Brushless, How much would I gain if I just changed to a more powerfull brushed motor , but a faster motor and 4600NIMH Battery, and if anyone has the knowledge or info, recommend some motors I can look at, trying not to switch too much, just battery if that really makes a difference and motor if possible. Let me know if the battery would make any difference in speed. I read somewhere that it would, but dont understand why. Right now the Sunfire is about the same speed as the Slash, and we are guessing its about 25 mph .

So far we have been playing a few weeks with these, thanks for reading.

FlapsFury
Old 05-04-2012, 05:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Faster

Changing from a Nihm to a LiPo battery will make a HUGE diffirence, also getting a better motor will ofcoarse help to, but also changing your pinion & spur will make a diffirence.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:53 AM
Tech Champion

Don't bother. Go with Lipo and a Tekin 10.5 system or stay stock.

Brushed motors stink and don't last long. If it wasn't for Lipo/Brushless I'd only run nitro.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Originally Posted by flapsfury
I dont want to go Lipo, or Brushless
Then go nitro.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

If you are trying to stay on a budget.......the "mah" of the battery is not going to give you more power.....only the volatage.....the "mah" will only give you longer run time...(which also means it will take longer to fully charge)....look for a battery that is a 7 cell 8.4V....this should hold you over for a bit....but like guys have mentioned....you may want to at least look into brushless....there are some VERY reasonably systems out there for your application...for having a good time and bashing around it is not necessary to aquire lipo...that also entails new chargers and such.....you can also change your pinion gear for little more "speed"..although you have to be careful...if you go TO large of a pinion....you can burn up your motor.....hope this helps
Old 05-04-2012, 07:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

First thing you can do is go up a couple teeth on the pinion but you have to be careful about your temps. Next thing you can do is if you dont already have get a 7 cell nimh pack it has an extra cell on top that will make the biggest difference. You don't have to go brushless or lipo that is not gonna give you anything except longer run times ( brushless motors are more efficient and lipo batteries have higher mah ratings )
Old 05-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

speed costs money.

Is there a reason you don't want to go lipo or brushless? LiPo batteries are lighter than nickel metals, so with a little weight reduction your acceleration is going to be better. Brushed motors are going the way of the dinosaurs.. around here it's difficult to buy brushed motors.. I've got some new old stock Tamiya Black cans lying around, but for the most part I run brushless.

You can also take your cars apart, clean out the diffs and bearings and put some bearing oil in each bearing. That may get you minimal improvements.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

if you do decide to go with the lipo, you may have to get a different charger (i dont know which one you have) but you need a lipo compatable one, and if you stick with brushed motors, if you have the new traxxas speed control, you would have to program it with lipo cut off because lipos dont work like the batteries you are running now, if you run them completely dead, you have just destroyed the battery
Old 05-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rpmhobbies
If you are trying to stay on a budget.......the "mah" of the battery is not going to give you more power.....only the volatage.....the "mah" will only give you longer run time...(which also means it will take longer to fully charge)....look for a battery that is a 7 cell 8.4V....this should hold you over for a bit....but like guys have mentioned....you may want to at least look into brushless....there are some VERY reasonably systems out there for your application...for having a good time and bashing around it is not necessary to aquire lipo...that also entails new chargers and such.....you can also change your pinion gear for little more "speed"..although you have to be careful...if you go TO large of a pinion....you can burn up your motor.....hope this helps
I disagree, higher mah packs hold a higher voltage under load, thus more speed.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
But weigh more, slowing you down
Old 05-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

only drive down hill.

but i do agree that going faster = more money/practice
Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
Very true. Noticed that when I was watching a 8th scale race few months ago. They were running I think 12min heats. Towards the end, the lap times got faster and faster. So mah has to be why the discharge rate was holding for those times.

All my batteries are 5000+ mah.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Staying brushed? Add a cell increasing voltage.

I'd solder in an extra cell so you have a 7 cell pack first and see how you like that change. It'll only cost you some wire and another Sub C NIMH cell.

then when you get used to the power you can go to a modified brushed motor, but for the price nowadays, you can get a good check complete brushless system that'll far surpass the brushed systems performance and runtime wise, especially with lipo packs.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Tech Rookie

I as well have a 2wd Slash (for three weeks now).

I started with a 5000 mah 8.4v Venom battery, 20 min run time about 20-25mph.

For a little more speed, pick up a higher quality battery. I have an Orion 3300 mah 8.4v Orion and there is enough difference that I can tell it is faster than the Venom, but just enough to know there is a difference.

Lipos are awesome, I have two know and they stay fast for the whole 17 min run time. (Both are 5000mah and are 6 oz lighter than my Venom NiMH pack).

I you don't want to spend a ton of money, Do you have a local track that holds races? I have been told that at our track racers sell old brushless systems for really cheap. Might want to look there.

Have fun.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Staying NiMH and running a brushed motor is the equivalent of riding in a horse and buggy instead of driving a car...

Last edited by cody161; 05-04-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.