Easiest way to go faster.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Easiest way to go faster.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Tech Addict

I am just asking for my own curiosity why you would not want to go brushless/lipo? Those two things have been the biggest leap forward in our hobby in over 25 years. It makes such a performance difference and the cost is less compared to a brushed setup. It's also virtually maintanence free. Faster, better run times, almost no maintanence and lower cost.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

If u want to go faster slow down and drive cleaner lines and practice remember ease the trigger dont grap it throttle control will make u faster...
Old 05-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dieselBird
I as well have a 2wd Slash (for three weeks now).

I started with a 5000 mah 8.4v Venom battery, 20 min run time about 20-25mph.

For a little more speed, pick up a higher quality battery. I have an Orion 3300 mah 8.4v Orion and there is enough difference that I can tell it is faster than the Venom, but just enough to know there is a difference.

Lipos are awesome, I have two know and they stay fast for the whole 17 min run time. (Both are 5000mah and are 6 oz lighter than my Venom NiMH pack).

I you don't want to spend a ton of money, Do you have a local track that holds races? I have been told that at our track racers sell old brushless systems for really cheap. Might want to look there.

Have fun.
Are you using the Universal Plugs on the Venom battery? That is most likely why you see better performance out of the Orion. The universal plugs aren't the greatest, which is why you have a weaker battery that seems to perform better.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Mo money Mo money Mo money LOL
Old 05-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Lipo and Brushless

Like I said were new to the hobby, but in all our reading it seemed like Lipo was semi dangerous, they can explode and require a safety box or bag when chargeing, just sounded like more deanger than it might be worth ? Also read they have to be checked on every few weeks when not using them ? Is this true or were we reading more into it than there might be to worry about.

On the brushless motor, I just thought we could get a stronger brushed motor as well as better nimh battery and get enough of a gain for some added fun?

By the way thanks for all the opinions and answers to my 1st post.

flapsfury

Originally Posted by Theibault
I am just asking for my own curiosity why you would not want to go brushless/lipo? Those two things have been the biggest leap forward in our hobby in over 25 years. It makes such a performance difference and the cost is less compared to a brushed setup. It's also virtually maintanence free. Faster, better run times, almost no maintanence and lower cost.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by flapsfury
Like I said were new to the hobby, but in all our reading it seemed like Lipo was semi dangerous, they can explode and require a safety box or bag when chargeing, just sounded like more deanger than it might be worth ? Also read they have to be checked on every few weeks when not using them ? Is this true or were we reading more into it than there might be to worry about.

Lipo's need treated with respect. If you overload or stab them open they may overheat and even catch on fire. Storing them in a steel toolbox may be a good idea.

They don't burn with enough force to really hurt anyone IME.

You need to learn how to balence charge them as well.

On the brushless motor, I just thought we could get a stronger brushed motor as well as better nimh battery and get enough of a gain for some added fun?

Nah, brushes aren't fun. They wear ouot before the fun even begins.

By the way thanks for all the opinions and answers to my 1st post.

flapsfury
It's worth it to jump to Lipo brushless. Easy double the horsepower of any of the brushed setups we used to run.

4wd buggies are about twice as fast as they were 10 years ago. 2wd nitro truck is long gone because E truck is now way faster. Lipo/brushless is the biggest gain this hobby has ever seen.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cody161
Staying NiMH and running a brushed motor is the equivalent of riding in a horse and buggy instead of driving a car...
I recently ran a 1500scr and a stock pink motor (the motor is a 1995 the battery is older) and was TQ for the day among all classes. It can be done on a club level.
To the ops question. Someone mentioned the simplest way, adding voltage with a "7cell(8.4v)" versus your "6cell(7.2v)" and it will accelerate harder and go faster top speed (it's 16% more power). However it nay cause your esc and motor some strain and they may get too hot, that is reduced by using a smaller gear on the motor.
Lipo is actually a 2cell 7.4 volt so as you can see .2 volts more so the gain is minimal compared to adding a 7cell nimh. The real gain in Lipos is the ease of care and ability to recharge quickly.
Faster motors are an option, gear down and don't get anything to hot.
BTW too hot would be like a cup of coffee that was too F'n hot to drink, thats probably 170-200 (212 boiling) a drinkable hot cup of coffee is about 120-150 (hey I'm using numbers pick your own you get the idea) so in other words if you can't stick your finger on it for more than a few seconds its way tooo hot. Use that and you won't need a temp gun (but if you do have one and use it sometmes to make sure your finger is calibrated)
Old 05-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
It's worth it to jump to Lipo brushless. Easy double the horsepower of any of the brushed setups we used to run.

4wd buggies are about twice as fast as they were 10 years ago. 2wd nitro truck is long gone because E truck is now way faster. Lipo/brushless is the biggest gain this hobby has ever seen.
+1 to this.

I've never heard of a LiPo battery exploding. Not to mention there are thousands of people using them every day, and only a handful of horror stories from people who misuse their equipment. Bad things happen to LiPos when you intentionally charge/discharge them beyond their limits.

Brushed motors are slowly being replaced with brushless as the industry standard, and for good reason. You could buy a hotter brushed motor for 30-45 bucks, and do lots of regular maintenance only to have it burned out in a year. A brushless motor may cost twice as much, but it will be more powerful, require less maintenance, and with any care, never wear out.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Tech Addict

2 people saying they have never seen a lipo fire or one explode.. race long enough and you will see it. Lipo fires are sometimes unexpected and they are very intense. I saw a TC6.1 meltdown from a seemingly perfect high dollar Thunderpower lipo.

Also, I see people running swelled up lipos all the time and those people are playing with a time bomb in my opinion. I'd worry more about a fire at my house when storing those.

Lipo requires another level of attention.

NiMH cells can explode like a firecracker in extreme conditions, but you usually only see this when overcharging them.

Hit youtube if you want to see lipo fires. Most of those on there are intentionally set though for effect.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rysuleod
2 people saying they have never seen a lipo fire or one explode.. race long enough and you will see it. Lipo fires are sometimes unexpected and they are very intense. I saw a TC6.1 meltdown from a seemingly perfect high dollar Thunderpower lipo.

Also, I see people running swelled up lipos all the time and those people are playing with a time bomb in my opinion. I'd worry more about a fire at my house when storing those.

Lipo requires another level of attention.

NiMH cells can explode like a firecracker in extreme conditions, but you usually only see this when overcharging them.

Hit youtube if you want to see lipo fires. Most of those on there are intentionally set though for effect.
Ive seen a lipo catch fire. He is worried that if he buys a LiPo that its a bomb waiting to burn his house to the ground. I've run into this quite a bit at my store. I agree that LiPos require more attention than NiMH packs, but that doesn't mean we need to scare people into purchasing overpriced and outdated batteries. Might as well tell him not to buy a brushless system because his car will be faster and he will break it more

Another option is LiFe packs. They run a lower voltage, similar current ratings. A bit faster motor can make up for the lack of voltage. One big advantange is they don't react nearly as violently when they rupture. Ive seen them cut in half for demonstrations, and they just smoke a little bit.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Tech Regular

I have been running LiPos for 3.5 years now, all kinds of lipos (7.4v -22.2v), mainly offroad with a lot of abuse,
and I was sceptical too when I started, because of rumors of LiPos catching fire...

But I have NEVER had any problem or seen anyone else around me have any problem.
(and I have 20+ batteries in use)
Old 05-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Question about these three. All Brushless, all MAH

Exceed Sunfire 4wd 19 minute run time
Arrma Fury 2wd 25 minute run time
Traxxas Slash 2wd 15 minute run time

I got the Sunfire for under 100 shipped. It seems to drive the best, hold up the best, the 4wd thing is cool, gets stuck less and is just as fast as the other two.

It came with a exceed 1800 mah battery, which lasted 19.1 minutes yesterday, longer than my Sons Slash with a 3000 mah 8.4 volt.

Why would that be, is his battery already having issues and why would this low end 1800 last so long anyway.

I have read lots of things about Exceed, good and bad, but you know my experience has been amazing , its not perfect and I am sure something could break, but so far its holding up and just as fast and the battery last longer, so who knows.

If anyone has any ideas on my sons battery, its around 30 days old, been used 7 ot so times, and now last under 15 minutes, charges it on a Tower Hobbies Charger takes about 75 minutes to charge.

Mine charges on the same charger and takes 65 minutes or so, last 19 minutes as of yesterday.

Flapsfury

Last edited by flapsfury; 05-08-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: More info added