Wiki Posts
Search

Best Electric 4WD Buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 02:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Best Electric 4WD Buggy?

All,

Im looking for fun in a 4WD vehicle, and the buggies seem the best. I have a stampede, so no need for a MT. It must be electric and from a good company with plenty of hopups available.

At the moment, the only one I can think of is the MRC Academy SB/Pro. But, finding it for sale online is insanely hard.

Any other good buggies of the same quality as the MRC?
Old 12-17-2004, 05:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

TRy Ultimate Hobbies for that SB Sport (the Pro will be out soon)
The other 4wd to consider if you want the most competetive car out of the box is the Losi xxx4. This car was 9 out of 10 at the worlds A-main.
Hope that helps.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:30 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Your in germany right now I am assuming?

For a possible location to get the Academy in Europe go to www.rc10b4.com and in the General Discussion area look for the SB thread. Message a guy named DCM and see if he can help you about where to get the vehicle in Europe.

As for a buggy that is fun and has plenty of hopups, I think you can have fun with pretty much all the 4wd buggies out there within reason, basically as long as you keep in mind that it is a buggy and not a truck. Though, It is possible to convert the SB into a 4wd truck as I have been told that it has been done by several people using the parts from the gas truck that Academy makes.

For hopups, it really depends on what you do if they are important. if you are serious into racing, you can get alot of hopups out there for a good portion of the 4wd buggies, with the BJ4x4 from JConcepts being the one that is the most hopped up out of the box though for bashing you still need to order an undertray from them.

For me as a basher / racer, but mainly basher at this moment till the weather improves, I would look for a vehicle that is known for its durability. the SB has some of the most durable parts out there you will find. Very beefy suspension parts.

If you have someone in the States who can ship you the buggy, get them to call Ultimate hobbies for you as they carry the SB but its not listed on there site.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

4WD Electric isn't very popular and there are probably on 2 kits on the market for comps. I use ot own a XXX-4 with the Novak SS5800 Brushless Motor and when it came down to getting parts for the Losi, it was hard. I hit a gutter and broke the front pivot support, it took 3 months for me to get my hands on a new set
Kyosho is suupost to be bring out a comp. 4wd buggy on the market called the Laser ZX-5 which is going to be shaft drive

Cheers
Old 12-21-2004, 07:45 PM
Tech Regular

anybody here anything about the yokomo?? super dogfighter??
Old 12-21-2004, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by baih
anybody here anything about the yokomo?? super dogfighter??
What do you wish to know about them?

Cheers
Old 12-21-2004, 08:50 PM
Tech Regular

yokomo

have you had any problems with rocks getting into the belt and damaging the diff. does anyone make a cover for the belt area.
how is the handling. ie: on power steering, jumping , corneing,
tha car looks like it is built pretty good as far as durability.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

just another fish on the ocean, but the JConcepts BJ4x4
www.jconcepts.net
Old 12-22-2004, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I can vouch for the BJ4. Definately one of the better cars on the market, but parts support might be tough for you.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:45 AM
Tech Legend

Main thing I heard about the Yok that I didn't like was it can foul the diffs.

That X-5 conversion looks pretty interesting too.

I would say start with first finding what you can get parts for easily, and go from there.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Can't wait for the kyosho new 4wd buggy. Any ideas when it'll be officially release?
Old 12-24-2004, 03:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by olihalkon
Can't wait for the kyosho new 4wd buggy. Any ideas when it'll be officially release?
Kyosho has released a new top-of-the-line competition off-road buggy, the ZX-5. It's hard to see any details with the body on, but it appears this buggy, like the touring car, includes a shaft-drive system with components from the FW-05R nitro touring machine. If so, the efficiency of the shaft drive system, the bullet-proof diffs of the nitro car, and the wide variety of diff options that already exist should make this a tough competitor in the 4WD class. No word yet on price or availability.
That's all I know of at the moment which came of RCCA.

Cheers
Old 12-24-2004, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you eventually plan on racing seriously.... go for the BJ4! It's very durable and very fast! Might be pricy at first but in the rare instance anything does break on the car... it's usually a front arm or a typical part that should be common enough to find. Getting a few spares to go along with any kit purchased is always a good idea... especially when you know parts are uncommon. Best of Luck and welcome to 4WD!!!

Last edited by STEALTH; 12-28-2004 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:18 AM
Tech Adept

I have the yok buggy, built it when they first introduced the kit (mr4-bc) and it's been nothing but trouble the entire time. Not sure on the new kits, but I had tons of diff/drivetrain troubles and finally gave up on the kit. Currently I run a XXX-4 and really once you put the aluminum pivot supports on it, seems unbreakable. And it's easy to get parts the whole nine yards ya know. It's my choice for sure.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:51 AM
Tech Legend

So what vehicles have your eye right now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.