Search

Track Building Materials

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Track Building Materials

Hello Everyone,
My name is Charles Baldridge and I am a member of the Kentucky Radio Controlled Racing Club (KYRCRC) club management team. We have been working with our local Parks & Recreation department to acquire a spot of land in one of our city parks to build a public RC track. One of the challenges we have been faced with is the materials used for the construction. We have explained that corrugated drain piping is the industry standard for offroad tracks, but they are concerned with the appearance of the material as it is in a high traffic area near a premiere playground facility. What I'm looking for are some recommendations for possible alternatives to corrugated drain pipe, or ideas on how we could make it more "attractive".

Thanks for your feedback!

Moderators - please feel free to move this post if there is a more appropriate forum for it.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mongooseky
Hello Everyone,
My name is Charles Baldridge and I am a member of the Kentucky Radio Controlled Racing Club (KYRCRC) club management team. We have been working with our local Parks & Recreation department to acquire a spot of land in one of our city parks to build a public RC track. One of the challenges we have been faced with is the materials used for the construction. We have explained that corrugated drain piping is the industry standard for offroad tracks, but they are concerned with the appearance of the material as it is in a high traffic area near a premiere playground facility. What I'm looking for are some recommendations for possible alternatives to corrugated drain pipe, or ideas on how we could make it more "attractive".

Moderators - please feel free to move this post if there is a more appropriate forum for it.
Drain pipe is your best bet. You could paint it red and white so it resembles the track borders of a full size track.

If you maintained a relatively simple track design you could possibly pull it up and store it when it isn't being used for an organized race day. Of course that entails lots of extra work but what track doesn't require hard work?

You could also just let the grass in the infield grow longer but it you are running 1/8 scales that might not make an effective barrier.

Depending on how large the track is it may or may not be possible to put up a privacy fence so the track isn't as conspicuous.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mongooseky
Hello Everyone,

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...nitro-pit.html

I would say the 3" hard white pipe is more of an industry standard than the corrugated pipe.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

go to ROAR web site and download their rule book, read section 2 about what to use. You may not be looking towards have a ROAR event but they have your safety in mind.

They also offer insurance by membership.

Your Parks & Recreation department may be more friendly to you with the above info.

http://www.roarracing.com/
Old 04-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

If you do not want black get the same pipe colored. It is available for covering the top of chain link fence around baseball fields. Looks like a green and yellow are other options.