Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Just got my new SC10, setup suggestions? >

Just got my new SC10, setup suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just got my new SC10, setup suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Just got my new SC10, setup suggestions?

I just got my new SC10 RS a couple of days ago. It is all stock at the moment except for the radio gear. I put my Airtronics MX Sport in it. I need some setup suggestions, and some suggestions for must have upgrades. I am by no means new to RC, but I have been out of the loop in cars and trucks for a while. Is there any settings in the ESC I can make? It is the stock Reedy 3300kV motor and XP esc. I will be doing some "for fun" racing at a couple of local tracks, and mostly bashing around. I was thinking about an overtray and swaybar kit to start. I am really impressed with this thing in stock form.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mberta2
I just got my new SC10 RS a couple of days ago. It is all stock at the moment except for the radio gear. I put my Airtronics MX Sport in it. I need some setup suggestions, and some suggestions for must have upgrades. I am by no means new to RC, but I have been out of the loop in cars and trucks for a while. Is there any settings in the ESC I can make? It is the stock Reedy 3300kV motor and XP esc. I will be doing some "for fun" racing at a couple of local tracks, and mostly bashing around. I was thinking about an overtray and swaybar kit to start. I am really impressed with this thing in stock form.
one thing that helps is to cut the battery block in half and put the battery in the middle. its cheap!!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

If you really start to race more, replace the servo. You will be amazed at the difference in just changing a servo will do!!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Tires are the biggest thing. The overtray works real well. Id also get the spring sets.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Captain
Tires are the biggest thing. The overtray works real well. Id also get the spring sets.
Pm me if you want to buy SC10 front and rear shock spring sets, I switched to a Blitz
Old 03-17-2012, 07:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Get the servo, the savox 1257tg is a great upgrade for cheap.

Buy the spring kits, about 15 bucks each, so you can set the springs how you want.

also the RPM front bumper is a great upgrade to help with the siffness of the chassis and will prevent it from breaking.

Check the official SC10 thread for more info!!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Read This

The RS is a fast out of the box truck. If you are wanting to start racing. Talk with the tracks and see what class they will let you race with that motor that comes in the truck.

The stock servo is junk. Get a better one.
From that like most have said,.
Tires
Springs
Learn how to tune it.

IF the track does not let you race in stock spec class with that motor. Start looking to get a 17.5 or 13.5 motor combo
Old 03-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Tech Regular

This is all great info guys. Like I said, I have been into RC for 17 years now, but I have been out of the loop with racing. My helis have been consuming me for the past couple of years, but I have had the itch to get back into racing. This SC10 is impressive, but there is always room for improvement. I am looking into the RPM bumper right now. A member here on the forum just offered me one for a great price. It was only ran in one race. What about the ESC settings, should I leave them alone for now?
Old 03-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

This is all great info guys. Like I said, I have been into RC for 17 years now, but I have been out of the loop with racing. My helis have been consuming me for the past couple of years, but I have had the itch to get back into racing. This SC10 is impressive, but there is always room for improvement. I am looking into the RPM bumper right now. A member here on the forum just offered me one for a great price. It was only ran in one race. What about the ESC settings, should I leave them alone for now?
Just drive the truck

The ESC settings are ok. If you find yourself coming off the jumps nose down. Remove the drag brake or learn how to correct it or drive it with drag brake.

You can adjust the throttle profiles in the ESC low mid high punch. I do not think it is needed though. It's fast enough out of the box
Old 03-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Tech Regular

I ordered some new parts from A Main this afternoon. I ordered the sway bar kit, and the RPM front bumper. I think I am going to stick with the tires I am running for now. The front are just whatever Associated puts on them, but the Race Spec comes with the JConcepts Subculture rear tires. They seem to hook up pretty good for the time being. I was bashing around my front yard, and over at the school parking lot this afternoon. Drew quite a crowd. I got curious and threw one of my 3s 2200mah 25c lipos from my helis in there. Wow that thing can move. Almost too much to control. haha. How bad is it on the electronics and drivetrain to run 3s? I looked up the specs for the Reedy motor and esc and they say it can run 3s. I usually run Gens Ace 2s 4000mah 30c lipos though. I put it on its lid today too, and got my first scratches on it. It's like a weight off my shoulders to get the first scratches on it. haha. O ya, the stock setup has the gold springs out front and the green springs in the back. Not sure if that is a good setup or not.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Some other things I have done are add washers on the front axles to help reduce "slop", replaced the diff grease with oil, lipo battery strap, rear sway bar, aluminum servo arm, lower body height, holes in the rear window area of the body to help reduce the parachute effect, shock oil (how did I forget this, just as important as springs!), Futaba 4pks radioand digital servo, cool decals (makes you go faster ). These are all optional, you decide your level of interest.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

After running for a few days, I realize you guys are right about the servo. This thing is junk. I find myself having to compensate for how slow it is, and I am constantly trimming it because it never recenters. I fly helis regularly so I am just used to lightning fast response from my controls. After I get my RPM bumper and swaybar kit in the mail, I think my next step will be a better steering servo. Any budget friendly suggestions?
Old 03-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

I got my swaybar and bumper in the mail today. That sway bar really makes a difference in handling. I also stopped by my LHS and picked up a fan for my ESC. I ordered some Pro Line Trenchers and SC10 wheels for the rear. These Subculture tires suck for bashing in the grass and gravel. The trenchers should help out there. I am trying to pick a new servo right now. I'm not sure which one to get. I run Savox servos in my helis, so I am leaning towards the Savox, but I am open to suggestions. I hope I dont get booed off the site for asking, but what do you guys think of EXI D226F and D227F servos from Hobbypartz? I read some reviews and there are quite a few people running EXI servos in their SC10s.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

I put together my parts list. I am doing some side jobs to get some extra cash for these parts. Tell me what you guys think about my list.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wto0149p
Old 03-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default More parts to add to your list....

B44 rear hub carriers (plastic) -or- B44.1 FT rear hub carriers (aluminum) so you can run the larger outer bearing in the rear. If you switch you'll also need the B44.1 crush tubes(2) and 3/16 x 1/2 bearings(2). Adds a little robustness to the rear end. I run the plastic carriers myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.