Community
Wiki Posts
Search

noob here :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Default noob here :)

hello im new to the rc world i never thought id be here either but hrs of youtube have well "peaked my interest" lol. i'm sold on the axial scx10, so while i plan out my purchase i'd like to know some basic upgrade, tips,web sites any help is greatly appreciated. i will not be crawling much if at all with it mostly trail/mud/snow i live in mass so i got alot of woods. i checked out level3 racing and was thinkin about their lift and some 2.2 iroks

so i have questions like what motor is best and are they waterproof?

where is the best place to find aluminum upgrade parts? i see em like on ty@teamtekin's bronco which is absolutely goregous btw.

like i said im new so TRY to be easy on me lol thanx again for any advise
Old 03-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

welcome to rctech

maybe scroll down on the main forum tab to the crawler room
i saw a few scx10 threads in there
Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Tech Regular

Don't get aluminum right away. Plastic parts are still very good and plus you don't know what is weak on the truck yet so you don't really know the best aluminum upgrades. Also get a better more powerful servo. Don't worry about motor upgrades just yet I'd say. Get used to the truck and then in the future upgrade from there.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ace921000
Don't get aluminum right away. Plastic parts are still very good and plus you don't know what is weak on the truck yet so you don't really know the best aluminum upgrades. Also get a better more powerful servo. Don't worry about motor upgrades just yet I'd say. Get used to the truck and then in the future upgrade from there.
+1
Old 03-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Tech Rookie

thanx guys i checked the crawler rooms too not sure if i should listen to them lol i dont really want it for crawling wouldnt they run different equipment? im sorry im so new lol.. but as far as servo's go would you recommend the hitech waterproof? i think i'll avoid traxxas only cuz i've read about alot of casualties lol. also i was curious about remotes and opinions?
Old 03-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Tech Regular

The crawler forums are for crawlers and scalers. The scx10 is a scaler truck and the ax10 is a full blown rock crawler. Scalers look like real trucks and focus more on hitting trails and making trails and obstacles and driving with friends and stuff. Hitec makes good stuff. I have always used their servos and have never had any problems. They have good customer support too I hear from my friend who had a cheap hitec poop out on him once. I just looked up the waterproof servo and it seems pretty nice. http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/dig...hs-5646wp.html
It has great torque but kinda crappy speed. But the good thing is that you don't really need speed for trail riding! And honestly .2 seconds is still quick in the big scheme of things. You should be looking for a servo that can dish out at least 110 oz of torque. I know some guys really say you should have more but honestly you don't (for your application). For my electric buggy I run I use a servo with about 150oz of torque and .1 speed. I know you are big on the waterproof stuff but you don't really need it man. I know some guys make their rigs super waterproof because they live in Washington or something haha but for normal use you don't need it. Just stay away from deep puddles and stuff. You can still go through puddles just don't let the water go up to your electronics. Most electronics in rc are not waterproof at all. I went through the edges of some puddles with my non water proof car the other day and it was fine. I maybe got it a bit too wet and was being risky but whatever. Just focus on getting good gear.

For radios and stuff 2.4ghz (gigahertz) is the best way to go. I'm not an expert on it but I can tell you how they kinda work. Pretty much they don't have a set channel. What they do is cycle between hundreds of unique channels every second so you never have interference with other radios. They cost more but are well worth the money. They are more reliable and have better range, not to mention most are practically small computers and you can program so man different things via radio. I'm a big spektrum fan. I have used their radios for awhile and have all good things to say about them. I recently snagged the spektrum dx3c and it is amazing for the price. For about 125-140$ (depending where you buy it) you get a great programmable radio, I think it has 20 model memory, comes with a nice receiver, and has tons of options to help setup your car how you like it. As for a RTR it will most certainly come with a standard AM or FM radio unless noted otherwise. Try out the AM and FM first. You shouldn't have problems with range because your truck will usually stay near your side while you are on the trails. If you get the money in the future definitely upgrade your radio.

This servo would be nice for you it seems. Pretty cheap, has decent speed and decent torque. It is also digital. I can attest that hitecs are great servos so you have my word! http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tal-Gear-Servo

Last edited by ace921000; 03-15-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Tech Regular

Also don't be afraid to buy some stuff used on this forum! It is a great money saver. You can find a ton of great deals on this site. Sometimes they are just too good! My pocketbook can attest!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Also don't be afraid to buy some stuff used on this forum! It is a great money saver. You can find a ton of great deals on this site. Sometimes they are just too good! My pocketbook can attest!
awesome yea that wp hitech looks like what i want..i do worry about the electronics basically cuz im a kid..i got a 7-9mpg pick up and i LOOOOVE MUD lol so im trying to be prepared for the inevitable lol. water i dont plan to go swimming..but deep watery mud yup i got plenty of that around. also the spektrum? i did check one of those out, tho i thought the new scx was 2.4ghz maybe im wrong but i will def check that out too if it isn't.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can second this! Be sure to read the stickies in the trade forum, and follow them. And it would be advisable to buy from those with good feedback, though you can have a good transaction with those with low or no feedback (like me). Just cover your bases and you can find some great items.

For radios and stuff 2.4ghz (gigahertz) is the best way to go. I'm not an expert on it but I can tell you how they kinda work. Pretty much they don't have a set channel. What they do is cycle between hundreds of unique channels every second so you never have interference with other radios.
And this as well, though I will add something. What really makes 2.4ghz shine is that commands are transmitted as data packets, similar to how your computer communicates with the server hosting these forums. Each of these packets carry an ID unique to your transmitter, and the receiver will only respond to commands that carry that ID (thus the need to bind them when you first use a new receiver/transmitter). The channel hopping improves signal quality and prevents physical interference.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by letsgoWheelin'
awesome yea that wp hitech looks like what i want..i do worry about the electronics basically cuz im a kid..i got a 7-9mpg pick up and i LOOOOVE MUD lol so im trying to be prepared for the inevitable lol. water i dont plan to go swimming..but deep watery mud yup i got plenty of that around. also the spektrum? i did check one of those out, tho i thought the new scx was 2.4ghz maybe im wrong but i will def check that out too if it isn't.
Awesome then! I don't know motors well for scaler trucks but I'm sure you can find a water proof motor and esc in the future! Have fun man!