Search

Not sure what to buy (esc)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
The Tekin is a step up and the LRP is the best if your a racer
You cant really say lrp is the best for racing and tekin is just a step up, that is just more personal preference and just wanted to clarify this. I like both companies, but again, personal preference.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

iam in the same boat here. need a set up for a sc 10 4x4 kit i just bash. like the one from novak 550 gb 2 for the slash 4x4. i cant soder and it a drop in.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by havatitan
I just got the 80a one, put it in my sct. it works very well, smooth as glass with my 8.5 xerun motor. I've had there 120a in my 22 for a month now, also very smooth and strong. You can also program them with a Hobbywing LCD, or LED card.
so why did u buy the 80 amp one for your short course but have the 120 in your buggy? thats why im confused on what amps to get bc i see a bunch of guys do the same thing. ive always thought that 80 amp would be plenty for 2wd and the 120 was for the 4wd
Old 03-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rsxskyd
You cant really say lrp is the best for racing and tekin is just a step up, that is just more personal preference and just wanted to clarify this. I like both companies, but again, personal preference.
I disagree. The LRP is [factually] smoother and faster. I'm not sure why but it puts down more power. I own several of both. I feel that that overall the Tekin is better but if I was a truely competitive racer I'd use the LRP. If i was fully sponsored and I didn't care how long stuff lasted or how long it took to warranty....I'd run nothing but LRP and Orion. There's a proven world championship pedigree already there. To me the difference is so slight that I prefer the ease of use of the Tekin and the incredible customer service that is always good. LRP service is hit or miss.

You can believe whatever you want but your money is probably best spent on a Tekin. Warranty service on HW is pretty bad. It takes a while. I use to run nothing but SpeedPassion and HW but Tekin won me over and then my faster expert and pro buddies got me into LRP.....if you gotta pay for it and plan to use it a lot, Tekin is the only game in town IMHO.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BubbaTC
so why did u buy the 80 amp one for your short course but have the 120 in your buggy? thats why im confused on what amps to get bc i see a bunch of guys do the same thing. ive always thought that 80 amp would be plenty for 2wd and the 120 was for the 4wd
60a is plenty for 2wd, hell I have a 60a xerun in my XXX-4 with a 6.5 and it runs great (I only race my cars, no bashing). I bought the 120a just to see how good they are, and the 22 had no esc at the time so I put it in there. I pulled my 120a xerun out of the sct and put in the 80a Brushless Hobbies for testing, and it works great also. No over heating or glitching, just smooth power. I love these guys that say Tekin, Novak, or LRP if you want to race, thats total B.S. I've had all three and there no better than these or the HW Xerun. If you have the disposable cash to buy the high dollar stuff go for it, just don't expect them to run better, they don't. As for the reliabuility, 4 years and not one Hobby wing return. All 5 of my xerun esc's (which is what these are based on) have out lasted my LRP and Tekin esc's. I'm sure some people will have different views on this subject, and I'm not interested in arguing with them, I'm just stating my personal experience with the esc's I've used.

Last edited by havatitan; 03-15-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

for the money right now, The Speed Passion GT2.0 LPF or Pro is very nice.

Right now, the LPF is $90 direct from Speed Passion and the Pro is $125. For brand new, really good prices.

what I really like about the GT2.0 Pro is that for its size, it can easily handle a 4x4 SCT setup. Has all the cool features you would expect (the LPF has them also) as far as boost, etc. and it can use that nice Hobbywing LCD Programmer card which you can buy for about $20 shipped. Basically the same looking card that the Orion uses.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Havatitan:

The XERUN 120A/60A have only been out for a year and change....2 tops. If you have 4 or 5 year old units they are totally different and uncensored. You are 100% full of it. You're making stuff up. Lets have a conversation about apples and apples......who said anything about Novak.....dude seriously? I will admit that I haven't run any of the latest firmware but the SP and HW ESCs were starting to run a little hot when we started to crank up the timing (back when I was using them). When Tekin came out with the Vegas firmware we were able to run the Tekins harder. Another fact. As I've said before the SP and HW are a good buy but in the long run, not the best buy. I agree that there is no need to argue as facts are facts.

Last edited by QDRHRSE; 03-15-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
Havatitan:

The XERUN 120A/60A have only been out for a year and change....2 tops. If you have 4 or 5 year old units they are totally different and uncensored. You are 100% full of it. You're making stuff up. Lets have a conversation about apples and apples......who said anything about Novak.....dude seriously? I will admit that I haven't run any of the latest firmware but the SP and HW ESCs were starting to run a little hot when we started to crank up the timing (back when I was using them). When Tekin came out with the Vegas firmware we were able to run the Tekins harder. Another fact. As I've said before the SP and HW are a good buy but in the long run, not the best buy. I agree that there is no need to argue as facts are facts.
I never said I had the xeruns for 4 years, just the ezruns back then ( maybe I should have clarified that) it was a statment to the manufacturers product reliability not to a specific model. I've never had an esc come off the track at more than 100 deg, (with a boosted 10.5 in 2wd or a 6.5 in a 4x4 buggy), so not sure what you mean by running hot. Both have more smooth power than you can put to the ground. I can't speak for 17.5 boosted as I've never run that ridiculous class, (just run mod if you want to go fast). I just threw Novak in there because it's another one I have run, if I knew it would get your panties in a wad I would have left it out. The "fact" is with a good motor and the proper gearing any of these esc's will get you a win, just don't be fooled into thinking you have to spend two to three times the money to do it.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I remember back in the day before the newer versions of the Tekin esc's came out, I would jump between LRP and Novak, when new esc's would come out, as times changed.

I can honestly say that the Tekin is the best overall value that you can spend your money on. The reason I feel that way, is for example, I have had the same RX8 and also RS Pro nearly 3 years. When ever new updated soft wear comes out, Tekin gives you the down loads for free.

I bought 1 esc and have downloaded at least 3 for the RS Pro, and at least 2 for the RX8.

If I were to compare the downloads, vs buying a new esc each time the soft wear changed, I would have spent 3 times the original cost, and ended up with exactly what I have now.

Over the 20 or so years in and out of RC, I can honestly say this is one area where spending just a little more on your initial purchase, could save you money down the road if, or actually when, you decide to upgrade your lower end esc.

Just my .02
Old 03-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I have to say my experience with the tekin was good, just like with the castle stuff, speed passion stuff, and even novak stuff.

the reason I went back with the speed passion stuff was the LCD programmer and the price of the GT2.0 ESCs is right for something that is a race level ESC with all the timing, etc. software you would come to expect. Also for the money, you the GT2.0 Pro can run a 4x4 SCT without needing a BEC.

I still though run a MMP in my 1/8 scale as the size is right compared to the silver arrow V2.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Use the 80a and 120A from brushlesshobbies.com. Stan is a great guy and their customer service is awesome! I will never go back. You can get a 80a $43 and 120a for $53. They come with the programmer flashdrive and a long sensor wire. Super adjustable. One guy is using the 120a with a Tekin 4600 4-pole.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

HW manufactures the latest Orion ESC the R10. Agreed the firmware is incompatible. I myself had an lrp tc spec v2 alongwith the xeruns I now run. Honestly it was no different, the throttle feel was better on the lrp and so was the dimensions, but the braking was way better with the xeruns. Also with the LRP, it died in 6 months so had to get warranty replaced. All my xeruns are running strong still. One ezrun I had is on its last legs but it had physical damage in a crash. As for the HW the electronics are fail proof until now.

I bought one cheap ebay HW rebadged system though and that has failed in a race. Never again... the real HW manufactured ones have had no trouble still.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 19_mustang_96
Use the 80a and 120A from brushlesshobbies.com. Stan is a great guy and their customer service is awesome! I will never go back. You can get a 80a $43 and 120a for $53. They come with the programmer flashdrive and a long sensor wire. Super adjustable. One guy is using the 120a with a Tekin 4600 4-pole.
Talked to Stan asking questions about the product and thumbs Up!! He responded very fast and informative around 2 A.M., now that's service I am convinced and will be buying one for my 17.5 truck, 40 bucks and backed with service like that can't be beat
Old 03-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default upgrade

Originally Posted by BubbaTC
i got a SC10 2wd running a 17.5 and im looking for a different esc. i have a novak edge right now but im not happy with it. should i be looking for a 80amp or a 120 amp?
Novak has an upgrade program, and if your running indoor, get a GTB2Xdrive and a Ballistic 17.5. If your outdoors, get a Havoc pro and a ballistic. I have tekin, speed passion, & burnt up castle. Till vegas 223 I would have said speed passion was the smoothest, now I don't know.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by btrukr
Novak has an upgrade program, and if your running indoor, get a GTB2Xdrive and a Ballistic 17.5. If your outdoors, get a Havoc pro and a ballistic. I have tekin, speed passion, & burnt up castle. Till vegas 223 I would have said speed passion was the smoothest, now I don't know.
for the price of the trade-in program i could have almost 2 of the brushless hobbies esc. im not impressed with the one i have so im going to try something else

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.