Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 E Buggy recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

For electronics, you guys like Tekin or Orion?
Old 03-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Resqnu
Thanks guys. I have raced a Mugen mbx6 nitr in the past and loved it. I think I would love ebuggy much better. For what. It's worth, I don't won't to buy something new and have to buy upgrades right off the bat. I would prefer a buggy to put electronics in and only upgrade when something breaks. What is everyone's thoughts on the plastic VE8 chassis?
Um great if you like to replace parts I think... Copied from my buddies FB post regarding his VE8

"This time i broke the main chassis, the other week it was the front plate.. it also took a rod end, a diff case, top plate with it! Getting a Tekno v4 ve8 conversion.. Honestly I didnt have any horrendus crashes but i kept overshooting it by 10 feet. or casing it by 6 inches! Im pretty sure the damage was done early in the night but broke after a while."

As far as Electronics... Honestly I would get the best you can afford... and at the moment I think that is Tekin. I run an RX8 with a 1900 and it's as fast as anything on the track. If you are outside and on a BIG track maybe a bigger KV motor but the 1900 is about where the sweet spot is for run time and power. Sensored rules too for finesse in power control on the edge while cornering. It made a huge difference in my lap times coming from a MMM.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Tech Adept

oh and something else... another guy at the track has the tekno converted d8 and he BENT a hinge pin. Non threaded pin. I'd rather break an arm than a hinge pin bend! I know my pins are hardened and threaded and I have yet to bend one (Mugens are similar).
Old 03-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Thanks guys. I have raced a Mugen mbx6 nitr in the past and loved it. I think I would love ebuggy much better. For what. It's worth, I don't won't to buy something new and have to buy upgrades right off the bat. I would prefer a buggy to put electronics in and only upgrade when something breaks. What is everyone's thoughts on the plastic VE8 chassis?
Unless you can't drive and keep lawndarting it you won't break the stock chassis. Everyone runs aluminum skids and that's supposed to save the chassis as well. Mine has taken some HARD hits and hasn't cracked or broken. The first ones that were made broke but they revised the chassis and it's a LOT more reliable now. Just put HB aluminum skids on and go have fun....

I'm NOT sponsored by anyone so my opinions are purely unbiased and based off of vehicles I have owned and driven hard. Not what my cousin's stepbrother from overseas said. Unless you have a close friend or someone with a lot of experience it's hard to trust people's words especially online words.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MattP

I'm NOT sponsored by anyone so my opinions are purely unbiased and based off of vehicles I have owned and driven hard. Not what my cousin's stepbrother from overseas said. Unless you have a close friend or someone with a lot of experience it's hard to trust people's words especially online words.
I agree... honestly with what what you say here... Yeah, I am sponsored... that is why I am not necessarily pushing my personal choice. Just well, pointing out observations from what I have seen at my local track. His original question mentioned Mugen... I would go there if I didn't like two pack layouts myself. I just feel it's a superior design overall (mugen type design). Not that the HB are bad cars. One of the fastest guys at my track runs one. He has broken quite a bit lately though (our new layout is kinda tough on cars). I have broken things too FWIW... a bunch of lower front control arms, and a few wing mounts. But that is all I have ever broken. In the end I still contend that ALL of the top name brand cars on the market are ALL good... and it comes down to personal preference.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Thanks for your input and I value your experience. I will look into the HB. I definately like the price. I see the HB offers mechanical brakes any info on these? My friends were referring to the mp9 and mbx6 though. .
Can't go wrong with the Mugen. Comes out of the box with everything you need to go fast, wears like iron and replacement parts are inexpensive (Kyosho is very expensive). You could possibly spend more running and maintaining the Hot Bodies. I have heard they wear quickly (about the nitro version). Cain could say whether or not this is really true.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

I would really like the Kyosho mp9, but find it expensive for someone at my level, maybe a used one? I am favoring the Ve8 or most likely the Mugen (several friends have them and really like them.

Thanks to all for your input. I am open to any other input as I am looking to buy in a few weeks.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would recommend the Mugen over any of the other E-buggies you have mentioned. Especially since some of your friends already run it. It needs 0 upgrades and performs excellent box stock just about everywhere. The Eco and the Tekin RX8 1900kv combo and you will be very competitive right away.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

I agree about the Mugen. Curious why no one has said anything about the mp9. I just bought a Kyosho sc-r sp and it is by far the best driving 2wd sct I have ever driven. Is the mp9 that good as well or just over priced compared to some?
Old 03-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well since your asking for recs....Caster EX-1.5R. At least take a look if you haven't. Really a great buggy.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:52 AM
LT
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I agree about the Mugen. Curious why no one has said anything about the mp9. I just bought a Kyosho sc-r sp and it is by far the best driving 2wd sct I have ever driven. Is the mp9 that good as well or just over priced compared to some?

The mp9's biggest drawback is that it's the most expensive ebuggy on the market and based on an out dated single pack chassis layout, not to mention that parts are quite high for it as well. The Mugen is a great buggy that is easy to drive but is limited by its single pack chassis layout as well. Saddle pack chassis layouts are the way to go. They are better balanced, the handle more cosistantly and 2s packs are cheaper widely availble.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Another issue I have about kyosho is NO one stocks replacement parts in my neck off the woods. I'd go with the brand you can get parts locally for.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Great info. I didn't know about the different battery layouts. So, single pack layout is 4s and some use 2-2s batteries like saddles? What are the pros/cons for each? I would think the 2-2s layout is better balanced, batteries less $, but the chassis layout would be bunched up. Which layout handles better?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:04 AM
LT
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The saddle pack layout buggys deffinitely handle better better imo compared to the single pack buggys. One of the main reasons I recommend the team C T8E is because of the chassis layout, it has a a great electronics layout and is the best value in the ebuggy market today.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

I've been looking at ebuggies this am online. One thing I have noticed is in the 2 battery pack layout the motor is front left. Would that not make it heavier on the left front as there is not much weight on the right side to counter balance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.