Battery Choices

Old 03-06-2012, 02:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey guys I appreciate all the feedback I really want to stick to the long packs. Does Pro Match & Nanotech only have short packs and who sells them?
Old 03-06-2012, 04:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Just buy an orion carbon pack and I will test it for you.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

In 2wd classes the weight of the battery is a huge factory. Most of the AE/Reedy factory drivers use a lower C, lower capacity battery battery because it weighs less than a 6500/65C battery for example.

Reedy WolfPack 5000mAh 25C
Old 03-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

A higher C rating means the battery has a lower internal resistance. Does that make the car any faster? At a certain point (greater than 40C) not much. Since this is off road you are traction limited, unless you are on carpet. I run on road and off road, and I notice the difference between C rating when I race on road but not off road. I even have a "fast" battery that is the same as my other batteries but on road it has more power.

Why do you want to upgrade? Your car's configuration (in your signature) seem to be a fine. I'd spend more time on your cars setup and tires. Battery and motor will not make you faster unless you can put the power down.

If your batteries are getting to the end of their life then look at all the options. I think the Carbons are great batteries but pricey for my budget. I really like the Gens Ace batteries. The have plenty of power and are inexpensive.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
In 2wd classes the weight of the battery is a huge factory. Most of the AE/Reedy factory drivers use a lower C, lower capacity battery battery because it weighs less than a 6500/65C battery for example.

Reedy WolfPack 5000mAh 25C
If I use the Wolf Pack with the Orion motor will there be a drop off in motor performance? Maybe Cavalieri could answer that question.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just ordered 2 promatch 6000mah....with free shipping they were only $10 or so more than Nano's. Plus will get them faster....I would think.

We will see how they are.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EastCoasterVa
A higher C rating means the battery has a lower internal resistance. Does that make the car any faster? At a certain point (greater than 40C) not much. Since this is off road you are traction limited, unless you are on carpet. I run on road and off road, and I notice the difference between C rating when I race on road but not off road. I even have a "fast" battery that is the same as my other batteries but on road it has more power.

Why do you want to upgrade? Your car's configuration (in your signature) seem to be a fine. I'd spend more time on your cars setup and tires. Battery and motor will not make you faster unless you can put the power down.

Was hoping to put a better motor/battery system together, to get the most out of it.

If your batteries are getting to the end of their life then look at all the options. I think the Carbons are great batteries but pricey for my budget. I really like the Gens Ace batteries. The have plenty of power and are inexpensive.
Where can I find the Gens Ace 2s 5000 50c batteries? Everywhere I look online they are sold out.

Originally Posted by DirtRacer68
If I use the Wolf Pack with the Orion motor will there be a drop off in motor performance? Maybe Cavalieri could answer that question.
Does anyone know if there is a performance drop off from using lower c batteries?

Originally Posted by larlev
I just ordered 2 promatch 6000mah....with free shipping they were only $10 or so more than Nano's. Plus will get them faster....I would think.

We will see how they are.
Have you ever used Promatch batteries before and if so, how did they do and where do you order from?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Nope never used them, although many of my fellow racers do. I would like to find a good lipo that gets to me quicker.

$129 for 2 2s6000mah 60C is not a bad price. I hear they are very, very good and have a great warranty. Warranty is important....Orion Carbon that costs me $120 for 1 lipo failed in 4mths. Sent it in and was told "too bad". Terrible CS for such an expensive lipo.

Venom's warranty is also great.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EastCoasterVa
He is correct, but also note higher 'c' rated packs in a given line will basically always have longer run times when comparing the same mAH; it will hold the voltage longer (straighter curve). So even if you have no gains in punch/power at peak because the motor has all it needs as the packs mAH gets lower the higher 'c' packs will hold that punch longer and net longer run times as well. Said packs will also run at a safer temp at low mAH, and last longer in most cases (more cycles). Note I said in a given product line.. 'c' rating from seller to seller is nearly useless to compare packs directly. The 90c Orion packs are way better than the 150c maxamps packs and they cost less. I'd actually put a nano-tech upper c rated pack in the same class as the 5x more expensive maxamps pack of equal mAH.. granted the MA packs are typically hard shell and a better size for racing. Obviously there are other choices that meet the size and hardshell requirements as well.

Lets just say you have a 5200mAH 20c and compare it to a 5000mAH 50c, in most cases you will have slightly longer run times (before LVC) with the 5k 50c even though the other pack has more mAH unless you are running a very very low demand setup where the system never pulls high amps.

5200 x 20c = 104amps
5000 x 50c = 250amps
5000 x 90c = 450amps

Granted these are not real continous amp draw figures, at that amp draw rate the packs would be empty in no time ;P

This is a huge deal in 4x4 racing and 1/8 racing.

I cannot speak highly enough of the Orion 90c 6500mAH packs worth every penny and then some.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

I use venom batteries. They make a good battery.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
He is correct, but also note higher 'c' rated packs in a given line will basically always have longer run times when comparing the same mAH; it will hold the voltage longer (straighter curve). So even if you have no gains in punch/power at peak because the motor has all it needs as the packs mAH gets lower the higher 'c' packs will hold that punch longer and net longer run times as well. Said packs will also run at a safer temp at low mAH, and last longer in most cases. Note I said in a given product line.. 'c' rating from seller to seller is nearly useless to compare packs directly. The 90c Orion packs are way better than the 150c maxamps packs and they cost less. I'd actually put a nano-tech upper c rated pack in the same class as the 5x more expensive maxamps pack of equal mAH.. granted the MA packs are typically hard shell and a better size for racing. Obviously there are other choices that meet the size and hardshell requirements as well.

Lets just say you have a 5200mAH 20c and compare it to a 5000mAH 50c, in most cases you will have slightly longer run times (before LVC) with the 5k 50c even though the other pack has more mAH unless you are running a very very low demand setup where the system never pulls high amps.

5200 x 20c = 104amps
5000 x 50c = 250amps
5000 x 90c = 450amps

Granted these are not real continous amp draw figures, at that amp draw rate the packs would be empty in no time ;P

This is a huge deal in 4x4 racing and 1/8 racing.

I cannot speak highly enough of the Orion 90c 6500mAH packs worth every penny and then some.

I agree and wish manuf would have some sort of "common" C rating they all follow. That's the biggest issue is believing the rating some claim.

I do not agree with you on the Orion's though...terrible customer service and while it was good when it worked. Once your burned.....well can't recommend them again.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by larlev
Nope never used them, although many of my fellow racers do. I would like to find a good lipo that gets to me quicker.

$129 for 2 2s6000mah 60C is not a bad price. I hear they are very, very good and have a great warranty. Warranty is important....Orion Carbon that costs me $120 for 1 lipo failed in 4mths. Sent it in and was told "too bad". Terrible CS for such an expensive lipo.

Venom's warranty is also great.
Did you purchase them from Promatch.com or do you get them from a distributor?
Old 03-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

I run venom's li-power 4000mah 30c packs and all i can say is i love them of course tho the downside is they are the first two lipo packs i have ever known seeings how im new to the sport but i do recomend balancing them when you get them home and and discharging to a storage charge i let one sit in the package for about a month while i ran the other when i broke out the new one the cells where nowhere near the same i have to balance and discharge a few times to get the volts matching in each cell again but know that that is done i havnt had any problems i just make sure to check the volts ever so often once or twice a week if i havnt been using them but i always make sure when im done each cell has 3.85 volts thats what i do if im wrong im sure somone will chime in but thats what i was told to keep them at when in storage and advice is welcome here on that tho lol
Old 03-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DirtRacer68
Did you purchase them from Promatch.com or do you get them from a distributor?
Sorry.....Promatch directly
Old 03-09-2012, 02:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tanki9
I run venom's li-power 4000mah 30c packs and all i can say is i love them of course tho the downside is they are the first two lipo packs i have ever known seeings how im new to the sport but i do recomend balancing them when you get them home and and discharging to a storage charge i let one sit in the package for about a month while i ran the other when i broke out the new one the cells where nowhere near the same i have to balance and discharge a few times to get the volts matching in each cell again but know that that is done i havnt had any problems i just make sure to check the volts ever so often once or twice a week if i havnt been using them but i always make sure when im done each cell has 3.85 volts thats what i do if im wrong im sure somone will chime in but thats what i was told to keep them at when in storage and advice is welcome here on that tho lol
I appreciate your opinion. I currently run the venom packs as well. I will be trying them first but I have seen so many other opinions that the orion carbon packs make their vehicles so much better. Since I ordered a orion vortex motor I thought I would find out what everyone else thought.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.