Community
Wiki Posts
Search

why did battery wires melt off?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default why did battery wires melt off?

I was increasing the timing on my motor by slight increments (was only at about 10 degrees from the stock 13 deg. and went only two laps) when I landed pretty hard off a jump and the car died. I looked under the shell and the battery wires were mostly free from the esc posts and looked as if the solder melted.

Neither of the electronics were ran long enough to get too hot and werent hot upon feel. Would an old connection hold enough impurities to create a high resistivity to create the heat? None of the other connections were getting hot or soft.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Short answer, yes.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by warnked
I was increasing the timing on my motor by slight increments (was only at about 10 degrees from the stock 13 deg. and went only two laps) when I landed pretty hard off a jump and the car died. I looked under the shell and the battery wires were mostly free from the esc posts and looked as if the solder melted.

Neither of the electronics were ran long enough to get too hot and werent hot upon feel. Would an old connection hold enough impurities to create a high resistivity to create the heat? None of the other connections were getting hot or soft.
I think this is one of those situations where two events that seem related are actually totally unrelated. I've seen it happen before where a battery can short after a hard impact due to a crash or just bad landing on a jump. A battery shorting will generate more than enough heat to melt solder and once the solder melts and disconnects the wire usually it happens fast enough to prevent permanent damage. I actually had this happen once. Didn't insulate the bullets that went into the battery and I hit a pole at the track. Knocked one of the wires loose and it shorted the other terminal.

I think you experienced a perfect storm type scenario.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

You probably had a a cold solder joint on that part of the ESC , a cold joint can/will have higer resistance than the wire , and as you increased timing you started drawing more current through the cold joint .

More current means more heat at that cold joint till it failed . Or you might have had a current spike during the crash , like when you hit the gas trying to save it and the wheels hit the dirt and suddenly cause a load on the motor.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

thanks for the support
Old 03-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

+1 on the Cold Solder Joint. Solder's not structural at all, and if the joint isn't good, it'll just pop free.