R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2016, 06:58 AM   #1216
Tech Addict
 
Devin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sudbury, ON, Canada
Posts: 650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekr.da.skurl View Post
Thanks for the info.. Im trying to update my truck to the long outdrive cups. It seems like the ridge the bearing ride on the diff is a bit wider. When I tighted the trans back up everything inside gets tight as a bitch. I have to back off all the transmission bolts way way off. Anyone shed some light on this problem. I searched but couldn't find anyone else having the same problem. Thanks
What diff? I don't think you shim the gear diff.
Is it a new gearbox and idler gears? My used dex210 was good all around but my brand new DEST210 gearbox was garbage in 4 gear. Would not spin freely at all. I went to 3 gear and fully smooth. Turns out I liked it better and I went to three gear on all my Durango stuff.
It is common to not tighten the gearbox all the way tight on these, or else they will bind.
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #1217
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 657
Default Sideways shorty and rear A-arm reinforcement

Used Jconcepts B5 battery brace. TLR turnbuckles. Did front reinforcement with cut up old ESC stand.
Used 1mm stainless steel twist wire from local hardware store.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkfypbzr2v...20PM.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxrjlq5ow2...38.24.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aa285q7q7s...38.41.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/61h5td3j5r...38.59.jpg?dl=0

Last edited by WallyRC; 04-27-2016 at 12:03 PM.
WallyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:16 PM   #1218
Tech Master
 
Laker67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,810
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyRC View Post
Used Jconcepts B5 battery brace. TLR turnbuckles. Did front reinforcement with cut up old ESC stand.
Used 1mm stainless steel twist wire from local hardware store.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkfypbzr2v...20PM.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxrjlq5ow2...38.24.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aa285q7q7s...38.41.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/61h5td3j5r...38.59.jpg?dl=0
Your a crafty one! Those mods look great, how well do the rear arms fit with the wire on them?
__________________
Thanks to my sponsors: Maclan Racing, Addiction RC, Exotek, Jconcepts, Futaba, and Trakpower
Brian Jenkins
Local track: Addiction RC in Ogden, UT - AddictionRC.net
Laker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:03 PM   #1219
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker67 View Post
Your a crafty one! Those mods look great, how well do the rear arms fit with the wire on them?
Thank you. Got wire idea from Rufus2010. Can't take all the credit.

Running HRC block, and 1.5 degree anti-squat. No binding at all. No modifications needed. Wire is only 1mm. Should clear with no anti squat as well.

Last edited by WallyRC; 04-26-2016 at 02:42 PM.
WallyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #1220
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 482
Default



Here's mine converted to oval with lowered suspension, and car body. It is mid motor as well.
Sidewinder 4600kv brushless system. This thing hauls!
bmag5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:52 PM   #1221
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 657
Default

Just curios guys. Most you running mid motor, you like 4 gear or 3???
Thanks!! I'm on med-high bite clay/dirt.
WallyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:38 PM   #1222
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 116
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

How do you guys and gals think that it compares to the T5M which seems to be more durable. I have a DEX210 which I like alot and added this to the stable for now. However im not sure if I am gonna hold on to this or not.

I might even be interested in selling it if someone is interested! Let me know!
Turtle Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:45 PM   #1223
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Speed View Post
How do you guys and gals think that it compares to the T5M which seems to be more durable. I have a DEX210 which I like alot and added this to the stable for now. However im not sure if I am gonna hold on to this or not.

I might even be interested in selling it if someone is interested! Let me know!
If you do the sideways shorty mod it can compete with the T5m. The only weak link is the rear arms. But the steel wire reinforcement fixes that. It's just as durable as anything out there and I believe more durable than most.
WallyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:57 AM   #1224
Tech Initiate
 
Stadium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chesterfield UK
Posts: 33
Default

Giving my DEST210 it's first run this weekend on a very large astro track.





Last time I ran the Durango it was a SC but I've changed everything including fitting the type B chassis. Just don't have a proper body yet so having to make do until I get one. I don't have a great olot of choice on tyres for this truck yet and they're all glued on the rims of my other truck so I'll have to try and make do with what I have which are Schumacher Silver Mini Spikes on the rear (normally the Yellow slightly firmer Mini Spikes are the go to tyre on rear motor trucks) and cut Schumacher Stagger ribs on the front.






Not a clue what it will handle like as it's the first time I will have run these tyres on this truck and the first time I've run a Durango with the 4 gear set up
Stadium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #1225
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 657
Default

Sideways shorty and wire on the rear arms like mentioned in my earlier post did the job. Handled better and was more confident with it. Had some big crashes and held up well. Now just need to find a little more steering. May have to shift the weight forward just a tad.
WallyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #1226
Tech Initiate
 
Stadium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chesterfield UK
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyRC View Post
Sideways shorty and wire on the rear arms like mentioned in my earlier post did the job. Handled better and was more confident with it. Had some big crashes and held up well. Now just need to find a little more steering. May have to shift the weight forward just a tad.
Sideways shorty isn't an option as I don't have any, but I'm not convinced of the advantages. Surely all that does is alter the weight distribution but I struggle to finish out how, you have around 1/4 of the shorty sticking out to each side of where it should be, weighing about the same as what the esc would anyway in the same place. I know the receiver isn't as heavy but the difference in weight can be easily made up.


I ran the truck as a short course all last year without breaking a rear arm, only broke a couple of fronts
Stadium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:37 PM   #1227
ekt
Tech Master
 
ekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Burnie, Australia
Posts: 1,228
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadium View Post

Looking good but I figured I should point out a couple small things. One of your front tires isn't mounted properly, you're missing a couple screws into the servo bulkhead and your steering links are on the wrong way.
__________________
Leo Lorenzen
Xray Australia - Proline Australia - GForce Australia - Fantom Australia - Hearns Hobbies
ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #1228
Tech Initiate
 
Stadium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chesterfield UK
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekt View Post
Looking good but I figured I should point out a couple small things. One of your front tires isn't mounted properly, you're missing a couple screws into the servo bulkhead and your steering links are on the wrong way.
I knew about the tyre
I hadn't noticed the missing screws, can't remember there ever been any since I bought it as a SC second hand...no wonder it never handled well.
Well spotted with the steering links, i changed them for a reason and forget to put them back

Thanks
Stadium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:17 PM   #1229
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadium View Post
Sideways shorty isn't an option as I don't have any, but I'm not convinced of the advantages. Surely all that does is alter the weight distribution but I struggle to finish out how, you have around 1/4 of the shorty sticking out to each side of where it should be, weighing about the same as what the esc would anyway in the same place. I know the receiver isn't as heavy but the difference in weight can be easily made up.


I ran the truck as a short course all last year without breaking a rear arm, only broke a couple of fronts
I agree with you on the arms. I think the body and some of the rear bumper protects the arms. I rarely broke my SC ones. But when I got my ST, I started breaking arms. If hit from behind... Crack!! Weird roll and boom.. Crack. Hope you have better luck. I like the wire mod.

As for the shorty mod, it just puts a little more weight u need in the back. I had shorty inline. And I can tell the difference from sideways mod. That's my 2 cents.

I hope you get yours dialed in. Let us know how it goes.
Go Durango.
WallyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:18 AM   #1230
Tech Initiate
 
Stadium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chesterfield UK
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyRC View Post
I hope you get yours dialed in. Let us know how it goes.
It didn't go great last Sunday (19th), I knew I should have nipped over mid week for a practice and to iron out any issues.
As I was building it I broke the receiver areal but didn't think I'd broke enough off to make a difference...I had it went out of range at the end of the straight, so race one not even 1/2 a lap done.

I had a spare one so fitted that for race two and I got a bit further, about 3/4 of a lap before the rear wheel fell off.

I lost the hex pin when the rear wheel fell off so had to use one of the front ones, resulting in not getting the front nut tight enough and losing the front wheel before I'd finished a lap in race 3. As I ideally needed two good scores for the final I carried on with 3 wheels and ended up with 8 laps and had a lot of laughs and cheering from everyone watching in the process. 8 laps isn't too bad considering my best on that track is only 10.

Unfortunately I lost the hex and the axle and although the hex was recovered the axle wasn't found until I was just about to go on track for race 4 with my spare truck my FTX Siege. Luckily that went well and I got a quick ten laps in giving me a 4th place start in the 8 truck final


The finals we have are 15 minutes long and with the trouble I'd had didn't want to risk more trouble with the Durango so used the FTX for the final where I finished 2nd a lap off the leader running a T5m, which really isn't bad for a budget truck after 15 minutes, although i suspect next time out I will be a lot closer.


This Sunday I went for a bit of a shake down just to make sure nothing else was likely to go wrong and within 10 laps the rear wheel fell off again, with new nyloc nuts fitted. Fitted it back on and did another 40 plus laps without issue eventually setting a 39 second lap in damp conditions, my quickest has only ever been 38 in bone dry conditions so it's looking promising if i can keep the wheels on

On a plus note a picked up a couple of bodies last weekend...I quite like the orange one



Stadium is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team Durango DESC410R Thread KostaG Electric Off-Road 12281 08-18-2017 09:10 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:36 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net