R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #916
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NJ
Posts: 301
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

It's actually a pretty good truck, especially for the price! There is one issue though and that is Durango has not yet verified whether or not they are going to continue producing this kit! As an example, the body has been discontinued and according to others there is no other body that is a direct replacement for fitment. Most of the parts are either interchangeable with the SCT version (A-arms, shock towers, CV bones, axles, etc.) and some of the parts are also interchangeable with the DEX210 buggy (Rear hubs, the entire tranny, hingpins, A-arm pivot blocks, etc.). The truck can be built for either rear motor or Mid motor out of the box. I personally believe that it is discontinued or will be due to the fact that SCT has pretty much killed ST trucks popularity and not as many people run them anymore. When Tower had the original DEX210 buggys marked down to $139.99, they sold all the stock they had of them in about two weeks! The DEST210 was also marked down about the same time for the same price and they still have them in stock 8+ months later for the same $139.99. Just keep this in mind if you decide to purchase one. The good News is that because nearly all the parts are used by either the SC version or the Buggy that only the Chassis may become an issue later on down the road if it is discontinued. I believe all the latest kits that were released also include the extra updated parts in the kit as well, the type b rear A-arm mounts, an extra chassis also type b, etc. Mine did, I only purchased it about a month and a half ago, but it came with three sets of Rear A-arm mounts-the original, a set of revised mounts that eliminate the hinge pin pivot ball and the newest type B versions. It also included two chassis's-the original and a type b version.

Last edited by WailinOnYa; 07-10-2014 at 07:12 AM.
WailinOnYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #917
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WailinOnYa View Post
I believe all the latest kits that were released also include the extra updated parts in the kit as well, the type b rear A-arm mounts, an extra chassis also type b, etc. Mine did, I only purchased it about a month and a half ago, but it came with three sets of Rear A-arm mounts-the original, a set of revised mounts that eliminate the hinge pin pivot ball and the newest type B versions. It also included two chassis's-the original and a type b version.
Thank you for the quick and detailed response. Did you order yours from tower hobbies? It would be nice to get those extra parts!
Leans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:36 AM   #918
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NJ
Posts: 301
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Yes, I did purchase mine from Tower Hobbies. You can also use their discount code, so you can actually get it a bit cheaper than the $139.99.
WailinOnYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:49 AM   #919
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WailinOnYa View Post
Yes, I did purchase mine from Tower Hobbies. You can also use their discount code, so you can actually get it a bit cheaper than the $139.99.
Thanks for the awesome advice and quick responses! I think I'm going to order one. How was the build? Do you use it strictly on the track or everywhere? Any extra advice on tools or extras needed for the build? Thanks!
Leans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #920
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NJ
Posts: 301
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

The only aftermarket items or essentials I would suggest are a rear camber link brace for the rear and I also purchased some aluminum skip plates for my kit. Both of these items I purchased from Sumo Racing, they sell on Ebay. I think the camber brace is like $11-$12 and the skids were $18, you get both front and rear skid plates for $18. The camber link brace keeps the camber mounting ears from snapping off the rear tranny case. I have a DEX210 and use one on it also, and so far have never broken an ear off. This is a well documented problem with the 2wd durangos. The original dest210 chasssis is pretty flexible, the type b one is noticeably stiffer, but I chose to build my kit with the original first, that way it I break it I can just move up to the stiffer type b chassis. This is the first ST truck I have ever owned, and I just decided to try one out for the hell of it and the super low price drew me in. I have not bashed with it, only driven it on an indoor moist packed track. Mine is set up Mid motor just like my 210 buggy! You'll only need your basic allen drivers, L wrenches are included like most kits, and snap ring pliers for the snap ring that holds the thrust bearing in the Diff half. I would suggest some spare arms and towers just to be on the safe side. Also It doesn't include tires, you'll need to pick up your choice on those!
WailinOnYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #921
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WailinOnYa View Post
The only aftermarket items or essentials I would suggest are a rear camber link brace for the rear and I also purchased some aluminum skip plates for my kit. Both of these items I purchased from Sumo Racing, they sell on Ebay. I think the camber brace is like $11-$12 and the skids were $18, you get both front and rear skid plates for $18. The camber link brace keeps the camber mounting ears from snapping off the rear tranny case. I have a DEX210 and use one on it also, and so far have never broken an ear off. This is a well documented problem with the 2wd durangos. The original dest210 chasssis is pretty flexible, the type b one is noticeably stiffer, but I chose to build my kit with the original first, that way it I break it I can just move up to the stiffer type b chassis. This is the first ST truck I have ever owned, and I just decided to try one out for the hell of it and the super low price drew me in. I have not bashed with it, only driven it on an indoor moist packed track. Mine is set up Mid motor just like my 210 buggy! You'll only need your basic allen drivers, L wrenches are included like most kits, and snap ring pliers for the snap ring that holds the thrust bearing in the Diff half. I would suggest some spare arms and towers just to be on the safe side. Also It doesn't include tires, you'll need to pick up your choice on those!
All your info has been a great help, thank you! I think I will have to order one. I just bought a Losi Mini 8ight-T so it might be a few weeks before I order it but the price makes it very tempting.
Leans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #922
Tech Addict
 
Devin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sudbury, ON, Canada
Posts: 650
Default

I was hoping they were blowing them out waiting to release a DEST v.2 like the buggy. I guess I'll have to just shoe goo / drywall tape the body like a madman.
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #923
Tech Addict
 
Kremzeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mt. Horeb, WI
Posts: 643
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin View Post
I was hoping they were blowing them out waiting to release a DEST v.2 like the buggy. I guess I'll have to just shoe goo / drywall tape the body like a madman.
That's what I've been doing too. I finally found a clear body for less than $30 on eBay. Still gotta paint that sucker up.

I should also point out that if you dont want to get a camber brace, you can get the Type B gearbox which has stronger mounts.

I think I have enough parts to run my DEST210 through the next winter when most people around here race ST. If Durango hasn't released a v2 by then, I'll probably jump ship.

I do find it odd though that Durango hasn't even announced a v2 of the DESC210 when SC racing is as big, if not bigger than buggy. Then again, they are a European company and it may be different over there.
Kremzeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:55 AM   #924
Tech Elite
 
T-BirdJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Norwood, OH...and CCRCR and The OhioRCFactory
Posts: 2,973
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to T-BirdJunkie Send a message via MSN to T-BirdJunkie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremzeek View Post
That's what I've been doing too. I finally found a clear body for less than $30 on eBay. Still gotta paint that sucker up.

I should also point out that if you dont want to get a camber brace, you can get the Type B gearbox which has stronger mounts.

I think I have enough parts to run my DEST210 through the next winter when most people around here race ST. If Durango hasn't released a v2 by then, I'll probably jump ship.

I do find it odd though that Durango hasn't even announced a v2 of the DESC210 when SC racing is as big, if not bigger than buggy. Then again, they are a European company and it may be different over there.
Considering Durango is straight owned by Hobbico, I find it really odd that they haven't done anything with an SCT yet. They may, however, be waiting until Tower/GP is out of the ST's and SCT's, since they're blowing them out, and they don't seem to be selling very rapidly.
__________________
If you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, you'll never allow yourself to succeed
T-BirdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:15 PM   #925
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 58
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

has anyone had any luck mounting other bodys than stock
cm711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:42 AM   #926
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11
Default

What motor and ESC is a good choice for this truck?
Leans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #927
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NJ
Posts: 301
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

A 10.5 motor is a pretty good all around motor! What are you planning to do with the truck, just bash or race? What is you spending limit?
WailinOnYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #928
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 161
Send a message via Yahoo to nitro-rob Send a message via Skype™ to nitro-rob
Default

I agree 10.5 turn is pretty good. I run 8.5 or 10.5 depending on the track. 13.5 is a little soft. Any good 10th scale ESC will do, if you are going to put money into something and are on a budget, get a good motor. I use a tekin RS and love it, but my friends have had good luck with the hobby wings.
nitro-rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #929
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anaheim Ca.
Posts: 3,883
Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)
Default

Hobby Wing Stock Spec and Reedy Mach 2 wind of your choice. Very smooth. Was what I ran before getting picked up by Trakpower for my electronics. My brother swears by Hobbywing, and Reedy Sonic Mach II's
__________________
TLR 22T 3.0, TLR 22-4 2.0 , TLR 22 4.0 X2, 22SCT 3.0, Tekno SCT 4X4, Hobbywing, Futaba, LRH Hobbies, Spektrum Servos, iCharger.
jpcopeland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #930
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anaheim Ca.
Posts: 3,883
Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WailinOnYa View Post
It's actually a pretty good truck, especially for the price! There is one issue though and that is Durango has not yet verified whether or not they are going to continue producing this kit! As an example, the body has been discontinued and according to others there is no other body that is a direct replacement for fitment. Most of the parts are either interchangeable with the SCT version (A-arms, shock towers, CV bones, axles, etc.) and some of the parts are also interchangeable with the DEX210 buggy (Rear hubs, the entire tranny, hingpins, A-arm pivot blocks, etc.). The truck can be built for either rear motor or Mid motor out of the box. I personally believe that it is discontinued or will be due to the fact that SCT has pretty much killed ST trucks popularity and not as many people run them anymore. When Tower had the original DEX210 buggys marked down to $139.99, they sold all the stock they had of them in about two weeks! The DEST210 was also marked down about the same time for the same price and they still have them in stock 8+ months later for the same $139.99. Just keep this in mind if you decide to purchase one. The good News is that because nearly all the parts are used by either the SC version or the Buggy that only the Chassis may become an issue later on down the road if it is discontinued. I believe all the latest kits that were released also include the extra updated parts in the kit as well, the type b rear A-arm mounts, an extra chassis also type b, etc. Mine did, I only purchased it about a month and a half ago, but it came with three sets of Rear A-arm mounts-the original, a set of revised mounts that eliminate the hinge pin pivot ball and the newest type B versions. It also included two chassis's-the original and a type b version.
Type B parts will be produced for some time. No plans on a V2 truck. V2 SC is being tested and was run at Cactus Classic.
__________________
TLR 22T 3.0, TLR 22-4 2.0 , TLR 22 4.0 X2, 22SCT 3.0, Tekno SCT 4X4, Hobbywing, Futaba, LRH Hobbies, Spektrum Servos, iCharger.
jpcopeland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team Durango DESC410R Thread KostaG Electric Off-Road 12280 08-11-2017 07:22 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:58 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net