Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

Team Durango DEST210R thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Tech Adept

I don't know if I should get a 97/99 or just two 97s.

I don't understand why they are different unless the truck isn't symmetrical? I am worried about the dogbone plunge not being even if I have two different length shafts.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitro-rob
I don't know if I should get a 97/99 or just two 97s.

I don't understand why they are different unless the truck isn't symmetrical? I am worried about the dogbone plunge not being even if I have two different length shafts.
The 97 work fine. Only problem is the ball diff. Longer out drives are needed or run full droop with the 96's. And they won't fall out. The longer out drives for the ball diff work perfectly. The longer dog bones will work as well. Not sure why they send a 99 and a 97.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Tech Adept

I got a new ball differential kit coming and the standard 96mm shafts are on my truck...don't know what outdrives are coming with the ball differential. I will just figure it out when it gets here.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Tech Adept

I also notice haven't seen a TiN coated shock shaft option for this truck but there is for the 410 series. Am I just not seeing it?
Old 05-04-2014, 03:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

I also notice haven't seen a TiN coated shock shaft option for this truck but there is for the 410 series. Am I just not seeing it?
There the same size I believe as the desc210. There is the gild and silver color. A lot of parts are shared with the dest and the desc. The shock bodies are 29th front and 35 rear.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I bought a Dest210 used on here and I am having a rubbing problem when on full turn.. I can't figure out what is causing it.. Any help would be killer?!
Old 05-05-2014, 12:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by cripplethreat
I bought a Dest210 used on here and I am having a rubbing problem when on full turn.. I can't figure out what is causing it.. Any help would be killer?!
you can take a little off the turn buckle or on the c hub you can shave a millimeter or two of material off of the back side where the rim hits. There is a lot of material there so it doesn't hurt anything.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:08 PM
Tech Adept

got my gear diff. what wt fluid do you guys recommend to use with the gear diff in mid motor with a loose dirt track (medium-low traction)?
Old 05-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Tech Adept

I've got mine together and I may take it to a club race tomorrow night but I may not since I would prefer not to work the bugs out at a race.

I took it out on the street today and noticed the slipper was slipping more than it should and I am surprised that I have it only backed off about 1/2 a turn or less. If I hit the throttle hard from a stand-still it would chirp (I checked, its definitely not the diff barking) even if I had it tightened right down.

It was on asphalt tonight and the traction did not allow for any wheel spin so this isn't a fair test but I am still used to slippers locked down in that situation not barking. I am certain it will be fine on clay.

Does anyone have any experience to share here? Does it sound right?
Old 05-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Tech Adept

The body that came with mine has the ugliest paint job ever. It just sucks.

I hope there is a new body style coming out with the new truck.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'm in the same boat with the slipper, mine still slips way too much even on the track and even when I lock it down it still slipped. This is my first durango, ripped it apart once to make sure I built it correctly. Everything looked good, the pads where crazy slick and shiny which seemed odd so I swapped them out for associated pads still the same result though.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:23 PM
Tech Adept

I spoke to some guys at a race tonight about the slipper and they told me that there have been problems with the layshaft spacer behind the slippers squish/get thin, increasing the space between the slipper plates.

I am going to try putting some shims behind mine and see if that helps and I will report back. I heard there is a titanium replacement piece for it.

I read about the layshaft spacer wearing but Durango has since replaced that part and I am certain I have the new part since it is the olive anodize finish and the original was aluminum coloured.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:30 PM
Tech Adept

Forgot to mention I did get a few laps of practice in on mine and, with something near the base setup on petitrc, the rear end was a little loose but overall the truck handled very well. I liked it just like the one I had for a brief time last year. The slipper took too much power away to do the bigger jumps and drive it hard, though. I installed closed cell inserts which felt good.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

I've looked at this more and there is no spacer behind the slipper, its just the layshaft spacer that wears. I have had this apart many times, my spacer is good and the slipper is thoroughly assembled according to the instructions and it still slips a lot. I've burned three sets of new slipper pads in about a minute. Its not a complicated device.

Any ideas? I am ready to scrap the stock slipper and go with an avid. Its hard to believe that Durango makes a slipper that doesn't work like this and everyone running the truck has gone aftermarket.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've looked at this more and there is no spacer behind the slipper, its just the layshaft spacer that wears. I have had this apart many times, my spacer is good and the slipper is thoroughly assembled according to the instructions and it still slips a lot. I've burned three sets of new slipper pads in about a minute. Its not a complicated device.

Any ideas? I am ready to scrap the stock slipper and go with an avid. Its hard to believe that Durango makes a slipper that doesn't work like this and everyone running the truck has gone aftermarket.
Try putting a washer on the slipper shaft before the first slipper plate. Between the first slipper plate and the bearing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.