Wiki Posts
Search

Need help guys, its been almost 20 years

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Need help guys, its been almost 20 years

Going head first into 2wd buggy with a schumacher sv at leisure hours in joliet. Where I am dying a slow death is the advent of the new brushless and batteries. The last time I was out racing we were matching cells on 5 turbo matchers.

What is a quality motor
What batterys should i be looking at?
I always used ko propo radios, still good?

I am ready to jump back in and will fine tune as I go.

Thanks guys
Old 02-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

You are going to need a 2s 4000-5000 mah lipo and a charger capable of charging lipos. For a motor you need to find out what class you want to run and get a motor that meets the requirements for whatever class you choose. The most common 2wd buggy class is 17.5. Also some places run blinky(no turbo/boost) so you will need to get an esc that coforms to your class. Best thing to do is go to Leisure Hours on a race night and start asking questions.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by woodsy1
Going head first into 2wd buggy with a schumacher sv at leisure hours in joliet. Where I am dying a slow death is the advent of the new brushless and batteries. The last time I was out racing we were matching cells on 5 turbo matchers.

What is a quality motor
What batterys should i be looking at?
I always used ko propo radios, still good?

I am ready to jump back in and will fine tune as I go.

Thanks guys
Coming from the 'old school' also I immagine its a little overwhelming compared to the last time you ran..Its MUCH nicer now days let me tell you!!

Just about any name brand motor and speed control is "quality"
same for batteries , except dont touch Max-amps with a 10 ft pole and make sure you buy hardcase li-pos.
and Yes KO still makes top notch radios..

There are tons of threads on here with info on brushless and lipos..The search function will be your best used tool to find this info, but once your "RE-education" is done you will LOVE the reduced amount of motor and battery maintenance compared to the old days!! WELCOME BACK!!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

For motor- You can't go wrong with a Tekin, Reedy, Orion, or Novak. I like the Ballistics because every single part is available, and the sensor wire comes out the side.
For batteries- DO NOT waste money on high C ratings, especially if you'll be running mod. Lots of people like Gens Ace, you can get a 5-6k mah 40c for $45-ish. Two should be plenty to practice and you can get away with only one for a race night.
All the money you used to spend on battery wars and motor maintenance- tires and track fees!
KO's are still great