Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
I need better entry cornering. What to do? >

I need better entry cornering. What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I need better entry cornering. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Questions?? I need better entry cornering. What to do?

I'm new all over again after a near 20 year departure. I now have a FT B4.1 and I feel it runs pretty well. I'm still not greatly acquainted with the Spectrum DX3S radio system I have. I feel like when I do give a little brake quickly before I enter a corner, it pulls around better. Should I be adding this braking to happen automatically via my radio system? Or should i be altering a setting on the car itself? Or both?

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

You shouldn't be braking much justy going into corners. You lose much needed momentum doing that. You may set your drag brake alittle when letting off throttle but that could mess with how it jumps. I'd say just drive it more and get a better feel for it.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Is it normal to pulse throttle a 2wd buggy around a corner to make the beginning of the turn sharper and quicker? That's what I feel I'm doing and worked best.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rigor
Is it normal to pulse throttle a 2wd buggy around a corner to make the beginning of the turn sharper and quicker? That's what I feel I'm doing and worked best.
yah the buggies do need a lil tap of the brakes on entry to a corner to turn better ive talked to a couple team drivers and thats what they said (it needs a lil brake to get it around the corner quick really well) try messing with your camber a bit on the front you could put the front wheels in a lil in more and you could lower the ride height in the front a lil more, this is what i did to mine and i like it (its all about setting up the buggy to suit your driving and track style though)

hope this helps
Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Thanks I appreciate the input. If any others feel like chiming in with tips / tuning, I'm all ears.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcduder
yah the buggies do need a lil tap of the brakes on entry to a corner to turn better ive talked to a couple team drivers and thats what they said (it needs a lil brake to get it around the corner quick really well) try messing with your camber a bit on the front you could put the front wheels in a lil in more and you could lower the ride height in the front a lil more, this is what i did to mine and i like it (its all about setting up the buggy to suit your driving and track style though)

hope this helps
If mid and exit steering is good, you could try a bit of toe out for more aggressive turn in. Softer front springs will provide more steering as well. Not sure what you're running for rear toe but less rear toe will free up the back of the vehicle and give more aggresive steering as well.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Running a bit lighter shock oil in the front will cause the car to transfer weight forward quicker. And running a shorter camber link will improve steering response. But usually a little bit of drag brake helps quite a bit, but you will have to apply a little extra throttle in the air to keep it level.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

if you post your setup that will help,my 2wd as a ton of entry but pushes out,tires are one thing and not taking away from what anyone has said but i don't use brakes and still have to much entry

you can also look over this to help
Old 04-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Most b4s like to turn in and then push, similar to what Jamie said. It always happened to me when I drove my b4, but I haven't driven it in like a year
Old 04-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Tech Adept

I have yet to run b4, but in my 2wd vehicles, i get a little better turning when i have the ride hieght lower than usual. I also use tires in the back that have less traction in the corners so it starts to do a bit of a slide. This greatly improved my cornering. Hope this helps a bit.

Also, one more tip, in the corners i use slight throttle instead of pulsing it. I found that it helps make the turn a little smoother, and i was(somehow) able to get it to turn better when i used constant lower throttle then when i pulsed the throttle.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A little drag brake would be a nice place to start, around 5% or so. Give that a try. On the real tight turns I'll use the brake a little to initiate the turn, faster/wider turns, I won't use the brake.

I'd say, learn about the radio options, expo/endpoints, and put a little drag brake in the esc.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Tech Adept

have you tried raising the roll center in rear?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Tech Champion

dragbrake