Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
SC10 2wd rear CVD Axle help please >

SC10 2wd rear CVD Axle help please

SC10 2wd rear CVD Axle help please

Old 02-26-2012, 12:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Default SC10 2wd rear CVD Axle help please

I'm having massive issues with the right side axle. I've converted to MIP CVD axles but have had one snap by the dog bone, a pin drop from the ball, and another pin snap at the ball.

Does anyone have any tips. I've heard mention of extra o rings but I'm not convinced.

Little help please

Last edited by tskelding; 02-26-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:19 AM
Tech Initiate

You should search this thread for you questions before posting a new thread:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...10-thread.html

Regarding your query, first make sure your slipper clutch can slip--just a little--during normal driving. Otherwise can you tell us what circumstances they broke in and what condition your bearings and differential outdrives are in?

At the very least, if the parts are very new, you might be able to warranty them through Associated. Give them a call.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Default MIP help

Hi tskelding this is Matt over at MIP customer service/Tech I saw your post and was wondering if you got the problem fixed?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I had issues with my brand new MIP cvd's as well. My axle broke right where the hex pin goes in. My slipper is set good to where it lifts tires about an inch. I had some left over axles from my old GT that were spares. I put those on, despite the difference in shimming to the cvd joint. These set the dog bone in a bit farther but worked perfect to get me through my race. I did have to check the cvd joint after every run since the pin liked to keep coming out despite the locktite.
I had another issue but I forgot what it is. It seemed I had issue after issue with these brand new MIP cvd's. I've used MIP cvd's for years with No problems.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you but I've been away from work and the computers won't let me log into rctech.net.

No fix yet, but the guy before me noticed a high number of snapped or bent axles. There seems to be a small amount of movement at the transmission end, but I haven't had the time to strip it down and fix it yet.

In any case, too much rain to get out and have fun at the moment, so realistically now is a perfect time for a rebuild!

My apologies for the terminology I use, but I've only been messing about with RC cars for a few months. I'm trying though!
Old 04-07-2012, 04:14 AM
Tech Rookie

HI Matt, all,

I took the SC10 out for a spin a few days ago and after 4 batteries (NiMH) I split the cup of one of the axles. I went to see my local hobby guy and he has ordered a new diff/g'box assy, out-drives and CVD's.

I'm going to do a full rebuild before putting new axles in as I'm sure the issue is not the axles but the diff and LHS thinks so too.

Just waiting for the bits to turn up. Then it's off to read the sticky about diffs and away we go.

I'll keep you informed.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

yeah bro, if your trans outdrives are notched bad it will kill some drivetrain stuff. Hope you get it worked out. The SC10 is an awesome truck. The ball diff will run better on the track and the outdrives don't wear half as fast as the gear diff stuff does